testtest

Best Hellcat Ammo?

Hornady_American_Gunner_9mm_P_124_Gr_XTP_Ammunition.jpg

I gotta be honest...looks like another gimmick.

Fail to see what it does better than, say, a 147gr HST.
For Combat operations, the U.S.ARMY ISSUE Ammo for a pistol .45 ACP 230 Grain Full Metal jacket ball ammo or 9mm 115-grain full metal jacket ball ammo, soldiers lives depend on it I served as an Infantryman for 20 years served in 2 Conflicts in combat I seen first hand. If you hit the center mass of a Torso 99% probability it's a kill with just ball ammo. Specialty ammo is designed to make a massive wound channel with Deep penetration causing more blood loss and trauma to damage vitals Heart, Lungs, Arteries, Spine, Brain Stem, Brain to kill, or stop an attacker. Marksmanship & Shot Placement is key. Ball Ammo will kill you just as dead as specialty Hollow Point ammo.

Just wondering whats the best ammo for the Hellcat?

I use the Hornaday Critical Duty+P 135gr. for defense in both my XD 9MM duty and XDs 3.3" 9MM. Its what our sheriff department uses and passes FBI testing. A great place to look at ballistics is luckygunner.com. Go to the "Labs" tabs and they have easy to understand ballistic test results for all popular calibers. its a great resource. - Good Luck

I use the Hornaday Critical Duty+P 135gr. for defense in both my XD 9MM duty and XDs 3.3" 9MM. Its what our sheriff department uses and passes FBI testing. A great place to look at ballistics is luckygunner.com. Go to the "Labs" tabs and they have easy to understand ballistic test results for all popular calibers. its a great resource. - Good Luck
I use the same and I shot a feral hog with my XDM osp 9MM it opened up almost the size of a quarter It almost exited the pig's carcass , it was in the hide on the other side of the animal. I was 15 yards away. You should see what it will do out of a 16.5" 9mm carbine Barrel ! But even ball does good out of the rifle as well.

Prohibitively expensive to shoot enough to verify reliability, imho, and questionable if it lives up to it’s claims.

Personally, I don’t see it doing anything any better than a heavy, hard cast flat nose loaded hot

Heavy, hard cast flat nose bullets don’t have Fluid Transfer Monolithic technology that creates permanent wound cavities over twice as large as hollow points while being barrier blind and 16” of penetration. The people that I trust, believe in this technology. Yes, it’s pricey, but a box of it is plenty to verify reliability.

Heavy, hard cast flat nose bullets don’t have Fluid Transfer Monolithic technology that creates permanent wound cavities over twice as large as hollow points while being barrier blind and 16” of penetration. The people that I trust, believe in this technology. Yes, it’s pricey, but a box of it is plenty to verify reliability.

Sorry, I’m not buying the marketing mumbo-jumbo. The gel tests don’t actually show anything, and anyone who understands how gel works would know it.

And maybe 20 rounds is enough for you, but I’ll run at least 1 mag out of all of my carry mags...

For Combat operations, the U.S.ARMY ISSUE Ammo for a pistol .45 ACP 230 Grain Full Metal jacket ball ammo or 9mm 115-grain full metal jacket ball ammo, soldiers lives depend on it I served as an Infantryman for 20 years served in 2 Conflicts in combat I seen first hand. If you hit the center mass of a Torso 99% probability it's a kill with just ball ammo. Specialty ammo is designed to make a massive wound channel with Deep penetration causing more blood loss and trauma to damage vitals Heart, Lungs, Arteries, Spine, Brain Stem, Brain to kill, or stop an attacker. Marksmanship & Shot Placement is key. Ball Ammo will kill you just as dead as specialty Hollow Point ammo.
Yeah ball ammo, at high FPS, is probably better than SD ammo (although in pistols that line is becoming blurry) but the military use assumes that the people behind your target are also targets. The entire reason hollow points were designed is to stop over penetration because we live in an environment where the space behind the target is filled with innocents. Ball ammo in a self defense/carry gun is irresponsible at the least.

Yeah ball ammo, at high FPS, is probably better than SD ammo (although in pistols that line is becoming blurry) but the military use assumes that the people behind your target are also targets. The entire reason hollow points were designed is to stop over penetration because we live in an environment where the space behind the target is filled with innocents. Ball ammo in a self defense/carry gun is irresponsible at the least.

I agree, to a point...the caliber depends, a bit.

I don’t carry hollow points in .380’s or smaller calibers...for the most part, they either fail to expand, or if they do, they underpenetrate. Very few rounds give consistent enough performance in both categories to rely on.

In a major caliber, though—.38spl/9mm or greater, I completely agree...but, I would sooner carry ball than some of the gimmick rounds out there (DRT, G2RIP, etc...).

I agree with Hans, Luckygunner labs is the place to go for consistent and properly done ballistics testing. You can sort the columns by penetration or expansion and then compare the top rounds.
I will say, based on Luckygunner and a lot of other testing, the Critical Defense/Duty may be a popular choice but it just does not preform well out of shorter barrels.

Just wondering whats the best ammo for the Hellcat?
As you see, the number of correct answers is both zero and infinite at the same time. That said, I have used a number of different defensive rounds -- HST Micro stands out -- but as a result of some recent information from some sources I respect highly I have switched all of my 9mm defensive ammo to Underwood Xtreme Defender 90 gr +P+. That is emphaticaly not a recommendation, but you might want to search recent YouTube reviews of its performance, and decide for yourself. Good luck with your search!

I’ve yet to find an ammo that my Hellcat won’t eat. Even the crummy Winchester white box.
I've been hearing really bad things about the Winchester white box ammo both 9mm and .45ACP. I've got a bunch of it dating back several years in both calibers, almost afraid to shoot it thru my handguns...lol.

Back