testtest

Biden Administration Bans Import of Russian Ammunition?

It should bother all gun owners whether you use it or not. I never even heard of a bump stock before Las Vegas. I still have no desire for one. Same goes for those triggers they recently started in on. Frankly the pistol brace thing doesn’t bother me, I don’t care for them. As a gun owner and ardent 2A supporter though restricting or banning all those things angers me.

I don't use it either, but it does bother me because it represents over 40 percent of ammo used in the US and could impact the price of brass ammo adversely, and make brass ammo unaffordable to the people reliant on steel case from Russia.
Not to argue, just surprised ..... are you sure about that percentage of ammo? That just seems like an awful lot comparatively. Thanks. (y)(y)(y)

Not to argue, just surprised ..... are you sure about that percentage of ammo? That just seems like an awful lot comparatively. Thanks. (y)(y)(y)

"roughly 40 percent of the ammunition sold in the U.S. originates from Russian sources. Gun owners have become reliant on the ability of companies such as Wolf, Tula and Barnaul to provide reasonably-priced ammunition to the marketplace. Our reliance on Russian-made ammunition only increased over the past 18 months, with any brand or type of ammunition becoming virtually unobtainable. "

I wasn't thinking about any/all Russian ammo, mind fart I guess. I was just considering the steel cased stuff that I'm aware of. Have never fired a round of steel cased ammo as far as I can recall. But thanks for the clarification. (y)(y)(y) Had I read the article it would probably have woke me up.
The loss of Russian brass and steel will make other ammo more expensive both because of demand and the lack of competition.

"roughly 40 percent of the ammunition sold in the U.S. originates from Russian sources. Gun owners have become reliant on the ability of companies such as Wolf, Tula and Barnaul to provide reasonably-priced ammunition to the marketplace. Our reliance on Russian-made ammunition only increased over the past 18 months, with any brand or type of ammunition becoming virtually unobtainable. "
I’m gonna question that source…seems awfully high, in my experience.

You know, it really wouldn’t…except for the chicken littles who are gonna panic buy & drive up prices.
The issue the way I see it is, the people buying the steel now buy the brass which seemed to be in shorter supply than the steel. Also people start hoarding after seeing the announcement about the Russian ban.

I could be wrong and hope I am.

The issue the way I see it is, the people buying the steel now buy the brass which seemed to be in shorter supply than the steel. Also people start hoarding after seeing the announcement about the Russian ban.

I could be wrong and hope I am.
I expect to see a boost in prices of, say 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9mm MAK...calibers which were pretty much exclusively imported from Mother Russia.

Then again...when the super cheap 5.45 surplus got banned 10 or so years ago, Hornady started producing it in steel cases...so the market will adjust.

I do regret not getting a case of 9mm MAK back when it was under $200/k, but...c'est la vie.

I expect to see a boost in prices of, say 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9mm MAK...calibers which were pretty much exclusively imported from Mother Russia.

Then again...when the super cheap 5.45 surplus got banned 10 or so years ago, Hornady started producing it in steel cases...so the market will adjust.

I do regret not getting a case of 9mm MAK back when it was under $200/k, but...c'est la vie.
Hoping it adjusts quickly. Was enjoying the return to normalcy in prices.

The source in the now deleted thread about it said it was 45%. And you don’t have to be an economist to understand that taking away even 15-20 % of the supply, especially of something like ammo which is in high demand, will significantly influence the price of the remaining supply. If you don’t think so you’re in a mental institution. And telling 20 guys on a gun forum not to panic hoard is pointless since we're really not the guys doing it. And it’s easy to tell people that when you’re already sitting on tens of thousands of rounds yourself.
Some of us are just trying to buy enough to shoot with.

From various sources, have heard other countries may take up the slack from Russia. Yugoslavia for example with a few calibers. So, ammo supply may not be great on steel case, but some supply should still be there?
I'm not sure if some of these other steel cased ammo producing countries have some kind of trade agreement with Russia but if they do I can see the components being shipped to these other countries for assembly and export to the US. This could maybe what the anti 2A politicians are hoping for so they can have an open reason to ban these other steel cased ammo producers.

I'm not sure if some of these other steel cased ammo producing countries have some kind of trade agreement with Russia but if they do I can see the components being shipped to these other countries for assembly and export to the US. This could maybe what the anti 2A politicians are hoping for so they can have an open reason to ban these other steel cased ammo producers.
Never know with trade sometimes in what can happen?
Am sure it will discussed by ones implementing ammo approval procedures. May end up being a certain percentage of any product being banned or approved from wherever too? Hard saying for sure.

Then, look at all the foreign countries producing or assembling goods in this country now? It's far from being just vehicles. There's many ways to abide by agreements. Usual end result is consumers end up paying more because of some of those agreements or disagreements?

I know the 40% statistic surprises many shooters, and it surprised me at first. I asked a friend who works in management at Academy. He could not speak for other sellers, but stated that the statistic may be accurate. The majority of Academy’s Monarch store brand ammo (brass, steel, and shotgun shells) is produced in Russia. Apparently, several of the big chains use re-branded Russian product for their store brand. The store brand names will survive, but the actual product being put in the boxes will now need to be sourced from somewhere else. The effects of this policy will go far beyond traditional steel-cased ammo in communist block calibers.

Now why couldn’t the first thread stay on topic like this one?

my take: even if you don’t shoot steel case, these are a good investment. I don’t collect silver/gold if it all goes south how are you going to trade gold/silver for food. But a box of 223 or 22 or 762 ends up being a good tradable commodity.

Back