testtest

CCW Steel: Carrying the SA-35

The Inglis barrel has a very "interesting" feed ramp. No ejection problems, using either barrel, and I am certainly not disappointed with that! The "brushed blue" finish on the external metal looks a lot like gray-green Parkerizing to me, but as that finish holds an oil film quite well, no criticism from me. The internal surfaces of the barrel are finished and polished beautifully (as is the Chinese Contract Inglis barrel I have).
Prior to the introduction of the Mk. II (1981) BHPs had what was called a "humped" feed ramp. The feed ramp change was to improve the feeding of JHP bullets.

From S. Camp...older Hi Powers, which have the old humped feed ramp. These definitely could have "indigestion" with other than FMJ round nose ammunition, not all but some. With the advent of the Mk II Hi Power in the 1980's, FN changed the feed ramp to a "straight" design and since that time, Hi Powers are reliable with about any JHP I've tried.

1657841012812.png

Shown are two 9mm Hi Power barrels from BarSto. The top has the humped barrel and closely resembles the FN factory bbl of humped design that was common in Hi Powers preceding the Mk II. The bottom barrel has had the hump removed and appears the same as the current straight ramp factory Hi Power barrels. If one is going to have a humped bbl's feed ramp made into a straight one, care must be taken to insure that most of the work is done at and below the hump. We do not want to remove any more steel than is necessary at the rear of the chamber. Improperly done, this can lead to insufficient case support, never a good thing.

No gun manufacturer will refund your money, for one thing, they have no clue to what you actually paid for it, yes, they may replace it, but no refund, also most gun shops will state all sales are final, my shop does. My thought on this, since they did offer to replace it, that’s what I would try, then if you still don’t like it, trade it off or sell it. Hope you get this all figured out.

Last edited:
Not likely a refund but maybe a credit? Take the new gun and resell it?
No gun manufacturer will refund your money, for one thing, they have no clue to what you actually paid for it, yes, they may replace it, but no refund, also most gun shops will state all sales are final, my shop does. My thought on this, since they did offer to replace it, that’s what I would try, then if you still don’t like it, trade it off or sell it. Hope you get this all figured out.
yeah i was going to say the company will not refund any monies, but i wasn't exactly sure about that, it would have been a guess on my part.

best thing he can do is, accept a replacement, then sell it, or just shoot the snot out of it, as most likely, it'll be all the more better than his current one.

Springfield just called. They are sending me a brand spanking new SA-35 when it becomes available and stated the issues are worked out and when the new one arrives they stated to shoot it and as always they stand behind it and will make things right. Although it took a bit to sort out I can honestly say they are making things right for me.

Springfield just called. They are sending me a brand spanking new SA-35 when it becomes available and stated the issues are worked out and when the new one arrives they stated to shoot it and as always they stand behind it and will make things right. Although it took a bit to sort out I can honestly say they are making things right for me.
no company wants "bad press" or disgruntled customers. that makes for no more sales, as bad word of mouth travels fast.

now, you got good things to say about SA, and that goes a long way.

I've seen one locally (Northern Utah) about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Was told they had received 3 and had 2 left. The price was listed at MSRP $699. I placed an order for one last December, Springfield cancelled the order in March when the IOP program changed. The dealer put in another order in April and put in a non binding order for me, he quoted me a reasonably discounted price but higher than the old IOP price. Not expecting it any time soon and actually losing interest in the SA-35.
A fellow Utahrd! 😁👊

I would shoot it a bit and then quit worrying about it. What about bad ammo that might be out there and could cause a perfectly good semi-auto handgun to malfunction? Perhaps you might go to revolver use, but again, what about the possibility of a bad round of ammo? Are you "limp-wristing" the SA-35? You can limp-wrist a 1911 and it will not cooperate, either. All kinds of possibilities! I don't believe there is a 100% semi-auto handgun that has ever been made. They will always be "100%"----until they fail on the next round!
Good luck, and don't worry!
GregT

I would shoot it a bit and then quit worrying about it. What about bad ammo that might be out there and could cause a perfectly good semi-auto handgun to malfunction? Perhaps you might go to revolver use, but again, what about the possibility of a bad round of ammo? Are you "limp-wristing" the SA-35? You can limp-wrist a 1911 and it will not cooperate, either. All kinds of possibilities! I don't believe there is a 100% semi-auto handgun that has ever been made. They will always be "100%"----until they fail on the next round!
Good luck, and don't worry!
GregT
If you are referring to me, I shoot just fine.
So does the pistol.
It’s function on the other hand ….

This past Thursday evening Talyn posted an update on the SA-35 that many here might want to read and watch the embedded/attached video...Title something like "Update on SA-35 Production" or something. It contained a lot of things everyone here would be interested in hearing/seeing. It seems many have not watched that video. Please look under the Guns forum section.

This past Thursday evening Talyn posted an update on the SA-35 that many here might want to read and watch the embedded/attached video...Title something like "Update on SA-35 Production" or something. It contained a lot of things everyone here would be interested in hearing/seeing. It seems many have not watched that video. Please look under the Guns forum section.
if it's the same video i'm thinking about, that guy from BHH..?? goes on and on about this and that, nearly the entire video...

"get on with the point of it man"

so i didn't watch it, and that's my reason.

if it's the same video i'm thinking about, that guy from BHH..?? goes on and on about this and that, nearly the entire video...

I get you....but I was interested in his take on a lot of things about the manufacturing of the firearm, particularly that serial #7000 and higher are when the failures seem to lessen, although according to him, more fixes are still needed. I have no dog in this fight, I have no interest in it (at the moment...)

I post whatever new BHSS, who are BHP experts, videos that provides good info on what they're finding out about the SA-35.

If those interested in how the SA-35 is evolving I'd suggest watching the latest vid, and as a bonus, it includes footage of a gent using one in a practical pistol shooting match.

If you're not interested then pass on it.

I get you....but I was interested in his take on a lot of things about the manufacturing of the firearm, particularly that serial #7000 and higher are when the failures seem to lessen, although according to him, more fixes are still needed. I have no dog in this fight, I have no interest in it (at the moment...)
My pistol is in the 4xxx’s.
As a BHP owner I was intrigued.
The SA-35 is an accurate gun and esthetically pleasing.
That’s all I have to say about that

Pistol shouldn’t have to go to an outside source like BHSS to function flawlessly on everyday use or for a shooting competition for that matter.

I like my Springfield metal pistols.
Just bought a new SA 1911 this week for that matter, so I’m not a hater of SA pistols.
Disappointed is all

Back