testtest

Concealed Carry Corner: What To Do Around Police

Some states have the CCW permit records tied to operators licenses of the registered owner of a vehicle. Other states do not.

AZ for example cannot tie the two together by statute. An officer has no way of knowing w/o asking the driver or depending on the driver to advise the officer or observation.

With 'constitutional carry', most officers assume that everyone is armed and may hurt you.

Last edited:
I was never a cop. As a security guard I didn't have any authority to ask someone if they were armed.

When I was working I just assumed that any vehicle I approached had a gun in it.

I also went out of my way to clearly identify myself as SECURITY not a cop and to tell them my only interest was getting them off property.

The link below contains the USCCA Carry Reciprocity and State Gun Laws map (such as whether having to notify police of weapon in vehicle when pulled over, etc.). I find this a helpful resource which they seem to keep fairly up to date, and although I'm a USCCA member, this interactive United States map is available to all (not requiring any membership). Being a Pennsylvania resident, selecting that State on the map shows me the last time it was updated with changes to Pennsylvania Gun laws; reciprocity with other States; what if any are the restrictions; State laws concerning firearms/weapons carrying; etc. In Pennsylvania's case, there is no need to notify if pulled over in your vehicle, but I learned just looking at this that Pa. carry permits are tied to a drivers license. I'm not sure if this was always the case, as I was under the impression it wasn't. Under State law I knew I could not carry a loaded rifle in my vehicle with my LTC, but found it interesting that apparently I could carry pistol classified PCCs (both in pistol and rifle) calibers as well as short shotguns such as the Shockwave as long as they complied with the length restriction specified. Anyways, thought I'd share with the group for those interested on using it as a resource either living or traveling through these States.

The link below contains the USCCA Carry Reciprocity and State Gun Laws map (such as whether having to notify police of weapon in vehicle when pulled over, etc.). I find this a helpful resource which they seem to keep fairly up to date, and although I'm a USCCA member, this interactive United States map is available to all (not requiring any membership). Being a Pennsylvania resident, selecting that State on the map shows me the last time it was updated with changes to Pennsylvania Gun laws; reciprocity with other States; what if any are the restrictions; State laws concerning firearms/weapons carrying; etc. In Pennsylvania's case, there is no need to notify if pulled over in your vehicle, but I learned just looking at this that Pa. carry permits are tied to a drivers license. I'm not sure if this was always the case, as I was under the impression it wasn't. Under State law I knew I could not carry a loaded rifle in my vehicle with my LTC, but found it interesting that apparently I could carry pistol classified PCCs (both in pistol and rifle) calibers as well as short shotguns such as the Shockwave as long as they complied with the length restriction specified. Anyways, thought I'd share with the group for those interested on using it as a resource either living or traveling through these States.

50l0a9.jpg

I'm in IL and our CCL is tied to our registration. I was always told it's good to tell the officer that you have a CCL and either you have a weapon or there are no weapons in the car. Since they already know I have the license why leave them guessing. Most of the time when I'm out and about I'm with my dog who hates strangers and is super protective so I also make it a point to drive normal and not give anyone a reason to stop me just to avoid any situation.

I've only been stopped once while armed. I placed both hands on the dash, informed the officer that I had a permit and was in possession of my side arm. I told him where it was on me and where my wallet was and that I awaited his instructions. He said ok go ahead and get your license out. Got a warning for speeding. I thanked him and was on my way.

The amount of states that dont accept CA and NY permits is quite funny actually. Tells you something about their BS laws and regs

I want to be sure I understand what you just said, are you saying that you could have three different vehicles with the same license plate on them?

As in ABC-123 on 3 different vehicles?
This accommodation is ONLY for Texas amateur radio operators. It allows you to have your call sign as your license plate number. It helps identify you to the authorities during times of emergencies as someone who might be helping in a disaster. I believe that it is the only vanity plate that that allows that. There is no vanity charge for the plate as well. You do need to send a copy of your FCC license when applying. The vehicle must be registered in your name.

That being said, the Technician license test is only 35 multiple choice questions, My 74 year young wife passed it with a grade of 94 after only a month of study.

Last edited:
I believe that in Va your CC permit is linked to your license plate or registration so the officer may have that information before approaching your car. But don't grab your gun to show the officer that you have one in the car like some DA did one night when my son had pulled him over on the interstate. My son came within a hair of shooting him on the spot. I think that 99.9% of the members here know better, but there's usually one who just doesn't think.

This accommodation is ONLY for Texas amateur radio operators. It allows you to have your call sign as your license plate number. It helps identify you to the authorities during times of emergencies as someone who might be helping in a disaster. I believe that it is the only vanity plate that that allows that. There is no vanity charge for the plate as well. You do need to send a copy of your FCC license when applying. The vehicle must be registered in your name.

That being said, the Technician license test is only 35 multiple choice questions, My 74 year young wife passed it with a grade of 94 after only a month of study.
Please don't take this wrong. My brain doesn't work right. Is this answer that I quoted a yes or no?

Could you be driving around with three different cars that all have the exact same license plate if it's your call letters for your amateur radio operation?

Please don't take this wrong. My brain doesn't work right. Is this answer that I quoted a yes or no?

Could you be driving around with three different cars that all have the exact same license plate if it's your call letters for your amateur radio operation?
Yes.

(It does not just have to be a car. One of my friends took his third plate and put his call on the travel trailer he tows with his truck. Now both his travel trailer and his truck sport the same call letter license plate number.)

Texas police have never been an issue.
I’ve been stopped many time for speeding and minor traffic offenses.
Declare my CCW, normal polite police interaction and on my merry way.
When local Sheriff office stopped me at 4am from a hog hunt, I thought he was going to 💩his pants.
NVG’s, Multiple AR’s , thermals, and various equipment in the truck.
He was “may I ask where you are coming from ? “ 🤣🤣🤣
I totally agree(Texas police never being an issue.). I've been back in Texas(where I grew up) since 2021 and the few times I've encountered law enforcement they have been very nice.

Back when I lived in Arkansas the father of one of a martial arts student I trained once in a while was an Arkansas State Trooper and a former Marine. He was a great guy(Arkansas State Trooper).

Many years ago I got pulled over while speeding on a motorcycle in the Lake Dallas area. There were 2 Texas State troopers in the squad car which is/was unusual for Texas. One of the troopers recognized me. He had been a trooper in the Rio Grande Valley where I grew up and had been promoted and re-assigned to the Denton-Lewisville area and was being shown around the area. We had a good laugh about how my auto mechanic dad was good at souping up cars and one of my brothers and I were famous for some of the test drives we did...:) I got a warning and avoided a speeding ticket...:)

I live in Georgia and there is no duty to inform. I have a lead foot and have been pulled over more than a couple times since having a carry permit. I have never informed and never been asked if I have a weapon. The only time I’d say something is if I was asked or if I had to retrieve something where the firearm may be seen. Such as if I had a firearm in the glove box and had to open it to get some documentation. I’d let him know before opening that I had a firearm in there so I didn’t freak him out. Personally, I just don’t see the point in notifying if the firearm is in a place they’d never see it. No point in stirring the pot. JMHO.

If I get pulled in TX they’re going to run my plate and know I have an LTC.
This is a true statement. I got pulled over after work and had no gun in the vehicle BUT FORGOT to hand my CHL with my DL to the officer. After he returned to his unit within a minute I was participating (as the felon) in a felony traffic stop in a Stripes parking lot. Issue was resolved with a stern lecture (not handing my CHL) then emotions returned to normal. Three years later (2022) I was pulled over again. I handed the CHL with my DL this time and informed the officer I was armed (right side) and other guns were in the vehicle and their locations. When she returned from her unit she told me my honesty and being upfront was greatly appreciated (no ticket) and to slow down, be safe. I was traveling 85 in a 55. I will not forget to hand my CHL at any traffic stop again but also realize not every situation will be like incident #2

So here's what's behind the donut story. In many towns the only place open on midnights is Dunkin Donuts. You would always see cruisers there. Most folks don't know that DD serves other things, like the best soup ever. Plus coffee and donuts. Often I met with my team there and a lot of officers would go to DD to write reports. And to drink coffee and eat donuts. DD corporate liked having officers in their stores. People would call and complain about all the cruisers at DD. So we adopted a strategy to park the cruisers around back when there were 2 or more. So it's not just the donuts. But then again, it is the donuts. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

So here's what's behind the donut story. In many towns the only place open on midnights is Dunkin Donuts. You would always see cruisers there. Most folks don't know that DD serves other things, like the best soup ever. Plus coffee and donuts. Often I met with my team there and a lot of officers would go to DD to write reports. And to drink coffee and eat donuts. DD corporate liked having officers in their stores. People would call and complain about all the cruisers at DD. So we adopted a strategy to park the cruisers around back when there were 2 or more. So it's not just the donuts. But then again, it is the donuts. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
If there are Police Cars at a restaurant, then the food is good. no matter how bad the joint looks .

Back