testtest

Dawson Precision Magwell for Prodigy

That's helpful, particularly the 2nd pic. Because the two don't mate perfectly, I'd imagine the bottom of the frame is going to get chewed over time, but I'll be curious to see what your mileage shows after using it for a bit.

...and hopefully SA will start offering replacement polymer lowers at some point....🤞
Part of the reason I got it was to protect the polymer. Not a perfect fit but who knows when someone will actually make one for the Prodigy.

Actually surprised no one does yet since they all don't come with one.

Part of the reason I got it was to protect the polymer. Not a perfect fit but who knows when someone will actually make one for the Prodigy.

Likewise. Which gives me an idea for a new thread...

It does seem strange that Springfield doesn't offer accessories for the Prodigy, but then they did seem to go to great effort in order to closely copy the Staccato. It is such a new model right now, perhaps they eventually will once production catches up.

Even the polymer grip module made for Staccatos will fit, from what I've heard, with only minor fitting. I'm sure that it won't be long for aftermarket manufacturers to start offering Prodigy specific parts and accessories.

Might as well post a few pictures for interested parties. I love it.
20230202_160904.jpg

20230202_160933.jpg
Off topic, what red dot plate did you use for attaching the viper to the pistol.

None whatsoever. Just hook the front of the magwell on the grip and push it up in the back while trying to align it to the rear of the grip. It will be tight.

You can try to use your hand to tap it into place, but in the end you will probably need a few taps with a rubber mallet to push it on. Like I said it is tight, but it isn't necessary to remove any material and the ridges were no problem.

I did use a bit of lube on the parts to help in putting the magwell on.
Quick question ... Do you mind saying what kind of lube you used? I wasn't sure if it mattered but thought some kinds might cause damage to the polymer.

I simply used a dab of the gun grease I usually use and applied it to the rear inside edges of the mag well and to the grip where they contact. I don't know if it really made a difference, but I thought that it might reduce friction and help the two parts go together easier.

Any type of gun lube will work, either oil or a light grease. You will use the same type of lubes when you clean and maintain your pistol so they should not harm the polymer.

I simply used a dab of the gun grease I usually use and applied it to the rear inside edges of the mag well and to the grip where they contact. I don't know if it really made a difference, but I thought that it might reduce friction and help the two parts go together easier.

Any type of gun lube will work, either oil or a light grease. You will use the same type of lubes when you clean and maintain your pistol so they should not harm the polymer.
Thanks for the info....

Well, it’s not technically specifically for the Prodigy, but it works. Dawson Precision makes several 2011 style magwells, just make sure you order the one specifically for Gen 2 Stacato. Also to note, if you have never installed a 2011 magwell have a soft mallet available and they are purposely tight and can seem harder to install than it needs to be. Love it though and the price is hard to beat. As a note, this Dawson magwell comes with a longer black main spring housing pin. (Most you have to order separately)

It’s the simple things, but a magwell tie’s everything In together and actually makes the grip better. It seems to lock my hand in place between the magwell and trigger.

View attachment 33291

View attachment 33292
Have you tested the gen 1 magwells on the prodigy?

I have the gen 2 Dawson Precision mag well on my Prodigy mainly because another forum member said that it fit and had one installed on his.

It does fit and looks great. A bit snug, but then that's what you want.

I've also heard said others say to make sure that you use a gen 1 mag well because that worked on his Prodigy.

The only thing that I can think is that evidently either generation will work and whatever it is that makes one generation different from the other has nothing to do with how it fits.

No need to file, just carefully put the front end of the frame in the magwell then slide then push the magwell down onto the frame. It will be tight tight tight, but it will go on, and the tight fit is why it’s rock solid on the poly frame.
Did you use the pin to secure the magwell to the grip?

Did you use the pin to secure the magwell to the grip?
The new pin that came with the Dawson Magwell is longer. once you have the Magwell installed, I used the new pin to punch out the old one. since it is a bit longer it will keep the part locked into place.

Back