testtest

Do we have any "smart" homes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a FYI for anyone that has the RING doorbell camera w/App. I came across this article that I found alarming, but I guess companies selling private user data behind their customers back is now common place.

Then or course, there are all sorts of articles about Ring and this topic:

I don't have any Ring products.

Information concerning potential security flaw in Smart Light Bulbs. This article specifically zeroed in on the Philips Hue smart bulbs, but others could be affected as well. Just informational with steps to take if using smart light bulbs.

Information concerning potential security flaw in Smart Light Bulbs. This article specifically zeroed in on the Philips Hue smart bulbs, but others could be affected as well. Just informational with steps to take if using smart light bulbs.

Nice find. Thank you for sharing that.

Nice find. Than you for sharing that.
Not a problem jmcd. I get her newsletter and I'm interested in computer and IOT device security. Besides the 5 computers (can't seem to throw away a working computer), I have on my network, other devices like TV's, weather stations and VoIP phone, etc are attached as well. Figured I'd share if anyone else had interest or potential concerns. 🧐🙂

Today I heard someone talking about Ring door bells and how everyone in the neighborhood is sharing each others on their app. I think that is crazy. Do you really want your neighbor watching you while you are washing your car, or mowing your lawn, or whatever else? You need to draw the line somewhere.

Today I heard someone talking about Ring door bells and how everyone in the neighborhood is sharing each others on their app. I think that is crazy. Do you really want your neighbor watching you while you are washing your car, or mowing your lawn, or whatever else? You need to draw the line somewhere.
I agree jmcd. But some people feel comfortable using this feature like a neighborhood watch program, only with Cameras that can record. I read that the police in some areas are asking Ring for access to the recordings for criminal investigations. This could be a total privacy issue, watching a neighbors camera footage which wasn’t directly involved in a crime investigation. Hard to figure why people would give up their right to privacy.

I agree jmcd. But some people feel comfortable using this feature like a neighborhood watch program, only with Cameras that can record. I read that the police in some areas are asking Ring for access to the recordings for criminal investigations. This could be a total privacy issue, watching a neighbors camera footage which wasn’t directly involved in a crime investigation. Hard to figure why people would give up their right to privacy.
Absolutley. I have also read that police in some areas would like to tap into Ring. Ihave also red that they can do it without your consent. If there was a crime in the neighborhood and they asked for footage from an outside camera, I am all for it. Of course, that is a reactive scenario rather than a proactive one. I don't have the knowledge to speak about how they would monitor homes in a neighborhood collectively. I would think you would need a setup similair to the bat cave to do that efficiently. They problem with giving anyone access to to your system with todays software (at least the ones I am aware of) it isnt restrictive enough (for me) on who has access to what and when. You're giving them the keys. People are curious by nature and I would certainly take issuue with anyone watching any of my family memebers "just because". That's my 2 cents worth anyway :)

Absolutley. I have also read that police in some areas would like to tap into Ring. Ihave also red that they can do it without your consent. If there was a crime in the neighborhood and they asked for footage from an outside camera, I am all for it. Of course, that is a reactive scenario rather than a proactive one. I don't have the knowledge to speak about how they would monitor homes in a neighborhood collectively. I would think you would need a setup similair to the bat cave to do that efficiently. They problem with giving anyone access to to your system with todays software (at least the ones I am aware of) it isnt restrictive enough (for me) on who has access to what and when. You're giving them the keys. People are curious by nature and I would certainly take issuue with anyone watching any of my family memebers "just because". That's my 2 cents worth anyway :)
I'm not sure how the Ring cameras save their data recordings, but several makers save this data on their servers or "the Cloud" as it's called. Not knowing a lot about the "share neighborhood" option, it may be that they are "linked" together, so that when one records, it's saved in the cloud in a bucket that contains all the neighborhood linked cameras data recordings. Thus when the Police look at this "bucket", they not only see what the 1st camera stated above recorded, but another recording of a neighbor washing his car off his camera, and so on. It's not real time monitoring, but they could be looking at data that wasn't related to the crime whatsoever, thus a potential privacy concern.

Been a smart home guy for quite a while now...through three different homes so far actually. I go so far as to uninstall and take my "gadgets" with me from home to home...switches, plugs, and cameras included. The ability to remotely monitor and control certain aspects of my home has been a life saver more than once. I've actually started to use gadgets to back up other gadgets now...smart home redundancy. For example, if I have a gadget controller that needs a hard reboot every now and then I'll install a controllable power outlet from a separate system that will allow me to do that power off/power on function remotely. It's always frustrating to be away from your home and have a part of your system go down...redundancy is key.

At this point, I'm using cameras (dedicated and door bell), dead bolts, light switches, power outlets, garage door openers, and landscape lighting. Some of these have scheduled functions, some have automations including alerting, and others are simply there for manual remote control purposes. I have established some ground rules though such as no voice activation and no cameras inside the home. The creepy factor on those two types of things is undeniable.

Been a smart home guy for quite a while now...through three different homes so far actually. I go so far as to uninstall and take my "gadgets" with me from home to home...switches, plugs, and cameras included. The ability to remotely monitor and control certain aspects of my home has been a life saver more than once. I've actually started to use gadgets to back up other gadgets now...smart home redundancy. For example, if I have a gadget controller that needs a hard reboot every now and then I'll install a controllable power outlet from a separate system that will allow me to do that power off/power on function remotely. It's always frustrating to be away from your home and have a part of your system go down...redundancy is key.

At this point, I'm using cameras (dedicated and door bell), dead bolts, light switches, power outlets, garage door openers, and landscape lighting. Some of these have scheduled functions, some have automations including alerting, and others are simply there for manual remote control purposes. I have established some ground rules though such as no voice activation and no cameras inside the home. The creepy factor on those two types of things is undeniable.
Right there with you as I have power outlets set for reboot capabilities. My indoor cameras are off and also set to power that I control as to not even have them turned on\powered on if someone is home. They are only on when no one is at home.

Yes sir , we have a Ring doorbell ,Ring flood cam also we have ring neighborhood app to which all who dont have it -Get it -Free -it will give you all the car robberies ,home invasions, Ups -fedex- package thief's in your 5 mile radius -Crime has tripled =do your self a favor and get the app - give it a 2 weeks and report back - also has weekly police reports for your 5 mile radius -Murders, thief's , home invasions etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back