testtest

Don’t Do These Things with Your 1911!

Now more reasons too not buy a 1911! The grip safety on the xdm is bad enough it makes me almost want too tape/band it? I did type, "Almost"! I do better with the 10 than with the 40 when it comes too the grip safety disengagement! Not sure why, maybe just hold it different than the lower power of the 40? The xdm40 is my oldest son's favorite!
TFL favorite firearm...don’t let him tell you any different.....🤣🤣🤣🤣
1590681902685.jpeg

I’ve never dropped the slide on an empty chamber on any of my handguns, I will always support the slide and guide it closed.
I practice this also with my AR’s where I’ll use the charging handle to bring the BCG into a closed position unless chambering a round.
And yes when I carry my 1911 it’s cocked and locked. Even before this article I also supported the hammer with my thumb when holstering.
That to me just seamed natural.

Last edited:
I was taught early on my Father’, Grandfathers, & Uncles 1911’s how to treat a gun properly, and how it works inside. I had to be able to field strip, clean, lube & reassemble it before I was allowed to shoot them. I think looking inside this “Great Tool” that JMB gave us will give anyone great insight how this “tool” works. Dropping the slide on an empty chamber of any gun is sacrilege (except Glock’s maybe!)
These days it seems like everyone thinks they could easily take a 200mph lap around Indy, just because they watched a YouTube video! If you are going to responsibly handle the responsibilities that go with gun ownership, you should know everything about that gun in your hand. You have to remember, Browning built it to take lives in order to save ours PERIOD. The fact we have the freedom to shoot for enjoyment is in part because of them. Take some classes, at least the safety classes for the new owners. We were all Newby’s once, this was a great starter piece, thanks!

I very much respect Massad Ayoob's knowledge and skill in firearms. However I do disagree on one point in this article about misusing 1911'. Here is the direct quote in the loading section: To get to full cartridge capacity, rack the slide to chamber the topmost cartridge from a fully inserted magazine, then on-safe the pistol and holster it. First of all, I am right-handed thus my holster is on my belt on the right side. I have a Taurus 1911 in .45; a Colt Commander 1911 in .45 and a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. All three guns have a common feature, the mag release button is on the left side. I put each one in a holster to see where the release button would hit. If any of these were actually in the holster, trying to get to the mag release button would be an awkward exercise. I was always taught safety on, rack the slide to feed the top round. Then, hit the mag release button and drop out the mag, replace the top round in the mag, then reinsert the mag into the gun. Why on earth handicap yourself with trying to get the mag release button when in a holster. When my guns are holstered, it would be a tight fit to do so. You already have the gun in hand, safely take care of the reloading the mag, then holster the gun. I think the method described would just be asking for trouble, especially with new shooters.

I very much respect Massad Ayoob's knowledge and skill in firearms. However I do disagree on one point in this article about misusing 1911'. Here is the direct quote in the loading section: To get to full cartridge capacity, rack the slide to chamber the topmost cartridge from a fully inserted magazine, then on-safe the pistol and holster it. First of all, I am right-handed thus my holster is on my belt on the right side. I have a Taurus 1911 in .45; a Colt Commander 1911 in .45 and a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. All three guns have a common feature, the mag release button is on the left side. I put each one in a holster to see where the release button would hit. If any of these were actually in the holster, trying to get to the mag release button would be an awkward exercise. I was always taught safety on, rack the slide to feed the top round. Then, hit the mag release button and drop out the mag, replace the top round in the mag, then reinsert the mag into the gun. Why on earth handicap yourself with trying to get the mag release button when in a holster. When my guns are holstered, it would be a tight fit to do so. You already have the gun in hand, safely take care of the reloading the mag, then holster the gun. I think the method described would just be asking for trouble, especially with new shooters.

I’m pretty sure you’re missing a couple steps, there.

You charge the pistol from a loaded magazine (either fully loaded, or a single round loaded in a “Charger” mag) by dropping the slide; then remove the magazine and insert a fully loaded magazine...then holster.

The way you describe would leave one round less in the magazine.

Agreed and I’m going to go out on a limb and say that was probably an editing error during the writing of the article.

I’m pretty sure you’re missing a couple steps, there.

You charge the pistol from a loaded magazine (either fully loaded, or a single round loaded in a “Charger” mag) by dropping the slide; then remove the magazine and insert a fully loaded magazine...then holster.

The way you describe would leave one round less in the magazine.
Hans I read the article and the section described by pjmdy twice and it was confusing. No big deal. Great article.

I recently bought my 1st 1911 2019 and learned real fast about the differences - was asking guys at range for recommendations On 1911 spring and that’s when all the good bad and ugly came -about slide lock , extra cleaning - ammo and cautions - Being and old guy You’ll always always learn - if these gents didn’t give me a heads up I would have treated it as any other firearm -Great article to spring - Also forums like this the young and old give good advice -Now who wants to grab your 1911 and follow me to Minnesota to help these mom and pop stores from being looted ?

I recently bought my 1st 1911 2019 and learned real fast about the differences - was asking guys at range for recommendations On 1911 spring and that’s when all the good bad and ugly came -about slide lock , extra cleaning - ammo and cautions - Being and old guy You’ll always always learn - if these gents didn’t give me a heads up I would have treated it as any other firearm -Great article to spring - Also forums like this the young and old give good advice -Now who wants to grab your 1911 and follow me to Minnesota to help these mom and pop stores from being looted ?
Your welcome from the young and old and while most/all of us applaud and appreciate your enthusiasm to help the innocent in Minneapolis please don’t get yourself into a mess and get hurt.

First: welcome to the forum.

Second:

Speaking as someone in Minnesota:

Stay home.

The last thing we need is people coming up here, getting involved in things they don’t understand, and making it worse.

This is just a quick note, for those that haven’t had to draw your favorite pistol for it’s designed use, especially with the times we are facing right now. I have used these exercises for years to stay sharp, maybe it’s something you can do right now. Buy some Snap Caps and practice with them whenever you want, such as 1 man house clearing drills etc. Most recently I’ve had to go through the real test with 4 uninvited visitors at 4:08 in the morning 2 years ago.
If you want to protect your castle, you have to be able to control your space. By practicing in your own home as apposed to a range, you find every blind spot and at least know your weak points BEFORE any type of engagement. When this happened to us again, everyone knew exactly where they were supposed to be, and I knew they were. Trust me, your brain is already in a highly agitated state, so taking accidentally shooting your wife or child off the plate allows you just a bit more clarity on your next steps. I could have shot and killed at least 6 intruders that I clearly remember having to think shoot/ no shoot in my sights, in my homes.
I used to get crap for running unexpected drills after sunset, but when the SHTF the first time, while living in Communist Chicago, my 90lbs Elkhound/Shepherd castrated 2 fellas in front of the entire family on two separate occasions , (Never turn your back on an Elkhound!) while I looked on with a 12 Gauge & a .357 Sig P226.
Personally I like the A-Zoom metal Snap Caps as they are much heavier than plastic and have a hard rubber center to catch the firing pin. Having used the plastic ones previously, they used metal imitation primer and could “potentially” damage a firing pin if used in a variety of weapons. Using your pistol vs a 75” Samsung on a consistent basis keeps your eye - hand coordination tight! I know it may sound stupid to some, but I’ve kept up my training from over 30 years ago, shoot on average about 1000 range rounds a month through a variety of guns yet I can’t count how many innocents I’ve popped on Live PD or similar stuff I use just to stay tight.
Use whatever practice you can, when you can, and get whatever level of training you feel is appropriate for protecting you and those that rely on you to do so. Purchasing a gun is simply step one in a process...

Good article. Those are simple logical guidelines in which we should all minimally treat our 1911's. I love my R.O. Elite Champion chambered in .45 ACP, however, I just noticed that model is no longer offered by Springfield. Does anyone know why? First thing that comes to mind is low sales figures.

Hey guys, new, first time 1911 owner here. I bought a paddle holster for my gun and the guy at the shop actually pulled it from the shelf for me. When I got home to test it, it didn't fir well. If I pushed it in until it click i could not get it out without bending the holster. When looking at the package it said for a colt 45 or kimber...any suggestions on a good affordable hoksrer for a springfield armory 1911 loaded? Or should this holster be working fine with my gun? Appreciate the help.

Back