testtest

EMP FAILURE TO FEED

The issue is quite likely the Critical Defects.

The rubber “brake pad” in the nose is known to cause failures to feed in several different pistols.

Additionally, handguns have their idiosyncrasies; just because one handgun will feed it, even if it’s the consecutive serial number to yours, is no guarantee yours will…there’s nothing wrong with your pistol.

I’d try a different JHP. Bet it feeds just fine.

(ETA—nice autocorrect typo, with “Defects” for “Defense”…I’ll just let it be)

I never would have suspected it was a typo. That is a perfect name for it.

I picked up a new Ronin EMP 3" last night as a retirement gift to myself. I already have an Emissary .45 ACP 4.25" and a Ronin 10mm.

Went to the range today and fired off 100 rounds of MagTech FMJ, worked perfectly. Tried a box of Hornady Critical Defense next and the problems started. Not a grip issue, I have a good grip on things.

9 rounds in the mag, released the slide and it did not fully seat the round. After that, the rounds started diving nose down into the feed ramp almost every round. Didn't matter if it was the first or 9th round in the mag. Sometimes it would feed a second round, but then the 3rd would do it again. Finished the box of 25 and called it a day.

I know 125 rounds is not a break-in and could be part of the problem with the Critical Defense, but with the high price of ammo, both range and defense ammo, I'm not going to keep shooting if there are issues with this and SA CS needs to get involved. I am going to fire off another 150 rounds of the FMJ MagTech and then try the Critical Defense again.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

View attachment 25348
I had a4” ccc doing same thing with 115. Returned 2nd time. SA tested with 147 coco jhp found no problem. I switched to 124 jhp not hornady. Three different 124 jhp all ok with one mag. Same mag now feeds 115 GMC. Returned two other mags for
replacement. Will post after trying replacement mags. SA was prompt each time I contacted them for service. I’m not ver patient but it’s working so far.

Yeah, that’s really not true.

Every gun has a type/brand/profile that it won’t feed reliably…some people just don’t shoot enough to find it.

You did…just accept it, and find something it will run.
Agree with Gruber…

To add: EDC is of course Every Day Carry. But with handguns, it oughta mean Everyday Defense Carry, simply because that is the only reason 99.9% of non-LE folks would bother lugging one around all day.
Logically, someone concerned with self protection will want to make sure they carry something it’ll feed… not that it’ll eat anything. Especially true for higher precision/higher end guns.

A gun that’ll “eat anything” is more along the lines of my S&W SD9. I haven’t found any 9mil it won’t take - but the trade off is in accuracy and other possible drawbacks (like ergonomics, for me. A bit clunky).
I don’t think I’d wanna EDC my SD9, much as i do like it…
Just my 2 cents.

Agree with Gruber…

To add: EDC is of course Every Day Carry. But with handguns, it oughta mean Everyday Defense Carry, simply because that is the only reason 99.9% of non-LE folks would bother lugging one around all day.
Logically, someone concerned with self protection will want to make sure they carry something it’ll feed… not that it’ll eat anything. Especially true for higher precision/higher end guns.

A gun that’ll “eat anything” is more along the lines of my S&W SD9. I haven’t found any 9mil it won’t take - but the trade off is in accuracy and other possible drawbacks (like ergonomics, for me. A bit clunky).
I don’t think I’d wanna EDC my SD9, much as i do like it…
Just my 2 cents.
I don't know. May be dependent on the design and manufacturing quality of the firearm. I only own two 9MMs. An HK VP9 and a Walther Q5 Match. I haven't found anything they won't run yet.

Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for advice on a topic I am sure has been covered. U have a new 9mm emp thats having a failure to feed issue. I have read about it before I bought it, however I thought Springfield had solved the problem. I was wrong. When I purchased the gun I broke it down and cleaned it. Took it to the range and put 200 rounds thru it mostly Winchester white box 115 gr fmj. Also ran hornady critical defense knowing the problems about the Hornady. not only did ti have a problem with the hornady but also the winchester. out of the 200 rounds I had 16 failure to feed.
Looking for advice and suggestions
Hi Harry. I am a bit late to this discussion but am curious how your situation turned out. I just got a brand new EMP 9mm and am having the the same issue. About 10% of the time it has a failure to feed problem. I am new to compacts but go to the range frequently and have received feedback from instructors that my grip on this gun is solid. Still who knows. I thought maybe it's just a break in issue. I've had the gun a month or so and haven't tried contacting Springfield hoping it will just resolve. I've had the problem with Remington 115 gr, Winchester 115 gr, and Blazer 115 gr, all FMJ. I'm curious if the problem went away for you with time or how you resolved it. Thanks.

Hi Harry. I am a bit late to this discussion but am curious how your situation turned out. I just got a brand new EMP 9mm and am having the the same issue. About 10% of the time it has a failure to feed problem. I am new to compacts but go to the range frequently and have received feedback from instructors that my grip on this gun is solid. Still who knows. I thought maybe it's just a break in issue. I've had the gun a month or so and haven't tried contacting Springfield hoping it will just resolve. I've had the problem with Remington 115 gr, Winchester 115 gr, and Blazer 115 gr, all FMJ. I'm curious if the problem went away for you with time or how you resolved it. Thanks.
Try 124 or 147 gr. Like nmedge said, a lot of these 9mm handguns need to be broken in on heavier loads before reliably feeding 115 gr. I shoot 124 gr. in all my 9s. I like Blazer Brass and Sellior& Belliot.

The EMP has always been known to have issues like this, even the original EMP also, some run fine, others well you know, that’s why I have always passed on one, plus I don’t like the ideal of there proprietary magazines.

Back