testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Well I was able to take my 4.25 model back to the range today after getting it back from Springfield. Today was a totally different experience. I ran 350 rounds through it and only had 1 FTF. The FTF was using the 17Rd Duramag with JHP mixed rounds and the 3rd round failed to feed, stuck nose first on the feed ramp. Racked the slide and it went in and no other issues. Shot 115g and 124g Winchester and Federal FMJ.

I must say, this gun, when functioning like it should is a dream to shoot. Very accurate and the trigger pull has gotten better now I have 600rds through it and expect it will improve a little more.

I want to get another 400 rds through it and will decide if I want to invest in the plate for my Holosun to mount on it or not. If it keeps shooting the way it did today, will definitely become a daily carry rotation.

Will be a week or so probably before I get my 5" back from Springfield as it just shipped today to them. LGS was slow getting it out. If it comes back all fixed up and shoots the way this 4.25 shot today, I will be extremely happy and have that as a bedside companion......

Well I was able to take my 4.25 model back to the range today after getting it back from Springfield. Today was a totally different experience. I ran 350 rounds through it and only had 1 FTF. The FTF was using the 17Rd Duramag with JHP mixed rounds and the 3rd round failed to feed, stuck nose first on the feed ramp. Racked the slide and it went in and no other issues. Shot 115g and 124g Winchester and Federal FMJ.

I must say, this gun, when functioning like it should is a dream to shoot. Very accurate and the trigger pull has gotten better now I have 600rds through it and expect it will improve a little more.

I want to get another 400 rds through it and will decide if I want to invest in the plate for my Holosun to mount on it or not. If it keeps shooting the way it did today, will definitely become a daily carry rotation.

Will be a week or so probably before I get my 5" back from Springfield as it just shipped today to them. LGS was slow getting it out. If it comes back all fixed up and shoots the way this 4.25 shot today, I will be extremely happy and have that as a bedside companion......
Curious, how long did it take them to send it back?

Did they say what they did to it?

Interesting note: My closest LGS has had a 4.25" Prodigy since the launch left in their stock as of 11am today, priced at $1499...still there today with no buyers yet. If anyone is itching, send me a PM. Thought they would have been gone by now.

Curious, how long did it take them to send it back?
They received it on the Friday 09Sep22 and I had them back on Friday 16Sep22. But there was issues with my 5" model and was sent back to them today as my LGS was not able to get it out last Friday or Monday. So who knows when I will get my 5" back again. They have to fix the disconnector and change the grip module they damaged.

Did they say what they did to it?
No there was nothing in the box and when I called them after getting them back, they could not tell me what was done to them. All I know they done was send two new magazines for both guns, they fired both guns. I know they took the 5" model apart for something but they did not fix the disconnector issue and damaged the grip module and sent it back to me in worse shape than when it was sent to them. So the 5" went back to them to get it fixed, hopefully right this time and without damaging the gun.

Couldn't help but notice that ejection was pretty terrible. Some of those cases looked like they barely dribbled out.
I noticed that too. Barely ejected the brass more than a couple of inches away.

Funny enough, he did a 1k round review of the Prodigy two days ago. He gave it the thumbs up after a 'break-in period'.
(I feel like break-in periods are a thing, but so many seem to think it's controversial?)

Staccato became less reliable after 1k rounds. Prodigy became more reliable. HMM!

I’m not sure when break in period became controversial. I’ve always put 500 rounds through every new gun before I considered it trouble free. I think it gets trotted out either way to suit the narrative. It’s like how people conveniently forget how problematic 1911s can be.
Exactly. It’s true that most of my striker guns had no failures during that initial 500 round period I put it through before I will trust my life to it, but those are not 1911s. All of them usually need a little lovin’ before they act right. All of them you didn’t pay 4 grand for anyway.

I’m not sure when break in period became controversial. I’ve always put 500 rounds through every new gun before I considered it trouble free. I think it gets trotted out either way to suit the narrative. It’s like how people conveniently forget how problematic 1911s can be.

I think you're mixing up two things. Whether it needs any break-in or not, I put 500 rounds through a new pistol to make sure it's reliable. It's nothing to do with break-in. It's because most things are most likely to break when they are brand new.

If I bought a used gun of unknown history, even if it was clearly well-used, I would put 500 rounds through that, too, before I considered it "trouble free." That is not break-in.

Well, I received both my Prodigy's (4.25 & 5") back from Springfield today. Let's just say I am extremely disappointed. I opened the box for the 5" and found: Rear Sight Plate loose, Both Grip Module screws loose, Slide still getting stuck on the disconnector (original problem along with the FTF issues, two new magazines and the grip module damaged around the right side mag release cover and around to the front of the grip module and below the trigger guard. Large gouges like were it had been in a vise or something. Totally not acceptable as there was no damage to the gun when I sent it to them.

The 4.25" found both grip module screws loose to the point, the left one basically had 1 thread holding it is and fell out with a touch. Had two new magazines as well but could not tell if they actually did anything to it other than fire it as it was dirty when I got it back.

Called Springfield within 15 minutes of receiving them and told them my issues and was taking it to the LGS where I bought them and letting them deal with it.

At the LGS, called Springfield and spoke to a supervisor were they explained to her the issues and condition of the guns when I received them back. I told them I want a new grip module for the 5" since they damaged it and I want the disconnector issue fixed since they did nothing to correct it the first trip in. So she arranged for a FedEx tracking # to be sent to my LGS for them to ship the 5" model back to them to correct/fix everything. She also said it would be a "Priority" repair when they receive it.

I asked he about the quality control as it seems they have none. How could they damage a gun, leave e loose screws and plates and send it back to a customer in that condition. I asked if they even had a quality control to check them after repair as it appears to me they do not.

I kept the 4.25" as it is easy enough to tighten the grip module screws and I want to take it to the range to see if the FTF issues are still there or not.

I would have just fixed the 5" issues and I know how I can get the sticking on the disconnector resolved and would have rather done it myself at this point but the damaged grip module is on them and they need to make it right. View attachment 30808View attachment 30809View attachment 30810View attachment 30811
Dude that gunstore sold you a used gun, I threw my Prodigy in the rocks and dirt three different times and my frame was not even that damaged.

I think you're mixing up two things. Whether it needs any break-in or not, I put 500 rounds through a new pistol to make sure it's reliable. It's nothing to do with break-in. It's because most things are most likely to break when they are brand new.

If I bought a used gun of unknown history, even if it was clearly well-used, I would put 500 rounds through that, too, before I considered it "trouble free." That is not break-in.
No one’s mixed up here. You’re spouting semantics. The discussion was in respect to the Prodigy 1911/2011, not a used gun.

Prodigy Thought for the Day:

With Ernest Langdon's relationship w/Springfield, I have to wonder if we might see a Langdon-ized version of the Prodigy some day? :unsure:

Back