testtest

First Look: Springfield Armory Echelon 9mm

My local LGS chain has had to pull their Echelon pistols from the rental counters. 2 stores. 2 guns.
After 200+ rounds, the optics plate screws sheared off and the plate fell off the stock factory gun.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😳😳

I couldnt rent the pistol again as it was unavailable for use .

Ouch….

Here we go again …
I mentioned in my thread that when I picked up the ECHELON I won in the giveaway the manager told me if I wasn’t going to put an optic on it I needed to remove the screws holding the plate and lock tight them because during the rollout ceremony and people were shooting the guns the screws were loosening up and falling out, he didn’t say shearing off.

I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to put an optic on my ECHELON yet.

Not a good look for Springfield after stumbling with the release of the Prodigy. I never had one problem with any of my Springfields made by HS Produkt. Hope this is an anomaly.
I honestly don’t see an issue.
I don’t rent guns to shoot, if I like a gun I’ll buy it and shoot it, if it turns out I don’t like it then I get rid of it with no regrets.
Also when I’m shooting a new gun I monitor the overall gun for any issues that may arise and deal with them.
When I owned a Saint Edge Pistol 5.56 I was shooting the gun and the screws holding on the hand guard loosened up with two falling out. I found them put them back in tightened them up and moved on.

Not a good look for Springfield after stumbling with the release of the Prodigy. I never had one problem with any of my Springfields made by HS Produkt. Hope this is an anomaly.
Honestly don't see an issue. Gun + screws+ recoil = loose screws occasionally.

If you shoot enough you will likely have loose screws on a firearm, be it grip screws, screws used for optics, lights or plates or any number of things. The more crap you put on a firearm held on by screws the more screws that may loosen.

I have question:

Does anyone know for sure is the SA FCU/COG for the US market is made in Croatia or US ❓

I would think if the FCU/COG are made in US then the rest of the pistol being imported does not have any ATF restrictions as it is not a firearm and no serial number needed and taxes would be much less❓
As the US being a huge firearm market however the ATF may have some restrictions on imported firearms and having a US made FCU/COG along with only finally assembly could be cost effective and a savings for us firearm enthusiast❓

It's not to say, SA does not make their FCU/COG in Croatia for rest of world distribution as well❓
HS Produkt is likely marketing their models, that they produce for SA for the market here, in the rest of the world.

There are no importation restrictions for larger-sized pistols like the Echelon & XD-line, etc. The only importation restricts are for small-sized pistols, like CZ has to make the P-10S in the US due to its small size while the rest of the P-10 line is imported.

What are the ATF guidelines for pistols?

The pistol must have a positive manually operated safety device
. 2. The combined length and height must not be less than 10” with the height (right angle measurement to barrel without magazine or extension) being at least 4” and the length being at least 6”.

Factoring Criteria for Weapons - ATF.gov

The most well-known example is the Walther PPK which could not be imported since it didn't meet the ATF criteria.

In order to continue PPK sales in the United States, Walther overcame the restrictions by developing the PPK/S, which teamed the frame of the PP with the slide and barrel of the PPK. This added 1.8 ozs. of weight, 0.2" of height and an additional round in the magazine, which met import requirements and allowed the PPK/S to be legally imported. It is presumed that the “S” added to the PPK designation stands for “sporting,” which was the intention of the restrictions.

Last edited:

If you shoot enough you will likely have loose screws on a firearm, be it grip screws, screws used for optics, lights or plates or any number of things. The more crap you put on a firearm held on by screws the more screws that may loosen.
True, especially on magnum revolvers, the screws will loosen up, including the side plate ones if you shoot a good bit of heavy loads, it happens, my take on the Echelon screws, you shouldn't have to do it yourself, meaning the loc-tit if needed, that the factory should have done in the first place, just me, my Sigs all have the site plates and so does my Xdm Elites, none have ever came loose....

The factory likely didn't see a need for loc-titing since they likely assumed that folks would be attaching a RDS on them, and that if they were loc-tited that someone would have Fd-up the screws trying to remove them.

That's why SA/HK Produkt should offer a "clean" version w/o the RDS plate system for those that don't want an RDS.

Last edited:

And if you think about this in a completely different context, if you even
(THINK) about buying a Glock you already have multiple screws loose without even shooting the gun.

The factory likely didn't see a need for loc-titing since they likely assumed that folks would be attaching a RDS on them, and that if they were loc-tited that someone would have Fd-up the screws trying to remove them.

That's why SA/HK Produkt should offer a "clean" version w/o the RDS plate system for those that don't want an RDS.
Not everyone likes or wants a red dot, and if the gun is the only one in stock and has the plate, and you want it anyway, you shouldn’t have to worry about the plate screws coming loose, my XDm Elite’s haven’t come loose

Last edited:

Well, it appears there is nothing to worry about now. I have been fortunate and never had any issues with the pistols I have purchased with the exception of one cheap 1911 magazine.

Sometimes I wish I could buy one of those clean TVs where I don’t have to be distracted with all that color.

I guess I have been too. And I run the crap out of mine. A lot. And as you may or may not know, I don't use blueberry flavored Loc-tite or any thread locker.
Just be careful not to use too much blueberry Loctite.

1690143009463.gif

They do. I can't think of any HKs that are OR only.

By the way, I agree with your assessment of why the crap Chinese screws weren't torqued.

Back