testtest

Have You Cleared Your House?

No need to clear it if I see the 160-pound Rottweiler is ok!
dadog.png

He makes this face when I say, Democrat, He hunts down Wild Bore and kills them.
just think what he can do to an intruder he is all Bite and no Bark.

I don't. I have an in home alarm, sensors on the doors\windows. Motion sensors and cameras. (cameras are inside and out) Wife tells me it's a house, not a bank. Trained German Shepherds and a house full of black belts and someone is usually always home. If I had to clear my house, there is a bigger issue going on.

Quick story about a dog I had. Way back when I moved my sister into a new house. A week later someone moved her out (literally, they came in with a moving truck and stole everything. Neighbor's thought it was still part of the move) Shortly after she came home to an open door. I was visiting in the area and had a shepherd with me. She called me and I said I would come over and I had her call the police before she went in the house. I got there, still no police. 15 minutes had gone by. I sent the dog in. This particular dog was scent and protection trained. I would literally have the kids hide on him in the house and outside in various scenarios in case the kids ever wondered off when they were younger (call me paranoid) Anyway, they dog was in the house going room to room and the police showed up (just one). I told him he may want to hold on as I have a dog searching the house. Just as I said that, the dog came back out and sat beside me. I said I didn't hear the dog bark or hear anyone scream so we are good. I got the "what does a civilian with a dog know about clearing a house speech." Not wanting to go into the credentials that the dog had, I asked if the officer would like to go in an hide in a closet and I will send the dog back in and we will see what happens. He just turned and left.

I don't. I have an in home alarm, sensors on the doors\windows. Motion sensors and cameras. (cameras are inside and out) Wife tells me it's a house, not a bank. Trained German Shepherds and a house full of black belts and someone is usually always home. If I had to clear my house, there is a bigger issue going on.

Quick story about a dog I had. Way back when I moved my sister into a new house. A week later someone moved her out (literally, they came in with a moving truck and stole everything. Neighbor's thought it was still part of the move) Shortly after she came home to an open door. I was visiting in the area and had a shepherd with me. She called me and I said I would come over and I had her call the police before she went in the house. I got there, still no police. 15 minutes had gone by. I sent the dog in. This particular dog was scent and protection trained. I would literally have the kids hide on him in the house and outside in various scenarios in case the kids ever wondered off when they were younger (call me paranoid) Anyway, they dog was in the house going room to room and the police showed up (just one). I told him he may want to hold on as I have a dog searching the house. Just as I said that, the dog came back out and sat beside me. I said I didn't hear the dog bark or hear anyone scream so we are good. I got the "what does a civilian with a dog know about clearing a house speech." Not wanting to go into the credentials that the dog had, I asked if the officer would like to go in an hide in a closet and I will send the dog back in and we will see what happens. He just turned and left.
👍 Reminds me of when the cop shows up at Wick's house, looks inside and says " Working again, John?", then leaves. :)

Rocky is a killer he is trained for Schutzhund Competition and is a champion, he is a very aggressive dog used to eradicate feral hogs he wears a Kevlar vest for protection when hunting Wild hogs and he has killed several Hogs its not a pretty sight when he makes a Hog kill. It's very bloody. If he caught an intruder he would be in big trouble.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to the officer (he sure was to me but that's OK) I would have really liked to know how "the civilian" came from across the other side of town without lights on the car (and I wasn't speeding as I wanted them to clear the house) and had a dog clear a house before he got there.

So I was thinking "yea, I'm back" :ROFLMAO:

That's an awesome dog!

I’ve cleared my home; and walked through it again with friends who are professionals in the subject...

And have been informed (and confirmed what I thought) that there are several points that are...”poop pop tarts”...if trying to do it solo. There is no good way to do it.

Hence, my decision that the best option is harden my home, and to “bunker up” should there be an incursion at night, and wait for LE response.

Anyone who is able to break down the door will get an exceedingly warm reception.

And to answer a few other questions...

I’ve tried clearing with both long guns (shotgun, AR, AUG, braced “pistol”) and handguns.

Lessons learned: Long guns are the hardest; don’t let your barrel lead you around a corner lest it gets grabbed—and controlled. Learn weapon retention techniques. Pistols have an edge when it comes to cornering... but remember pistols suck at stopping people, and can be harder to control in the event of a grab.

Also cleared in both light & dark. Lessons learned: If you have a weapon mounted light, learn to search with it without muzzling someone or something you don’t want to shoot. Example—bounce the light off walls or ceilings, instead of pointing directly at an unknown...or practice with a handheld for searching, switch to weaponlight for shooting.

I’ve started in different rooms, as well as entries through various points. Lesson learned...entry will suck for me, period. Don’t do it; there’s easier ways to commit suicide. I’ll call the cavalry and let the pros do it in a team.

Advice: if you know anyone who does it for real—law enforcement, etc...see if they’ll give you pointers, or walk you through. Solo clearing is difficult...avoid it if you possibly can.

Been giving this topic some thoughts after my first replies.

First, any training once can get to enhance their self defense capabilities is good. However, "clearing house/buildings" requires a great deal of expert-based training & a level of situation awareness that's at an elevated level due to the threat circumstances. Also, house clearing has to be done in a systematic manner vs. a hurried manner.

Second, the only circumstances I can see where having the ability/need to clear houses is when;

#1 - If one has been away from the house when upon return you notice an incursion has occurred/is on-going. There is only one option here - call 911. Leave it to the professionals. The only complication is if there are family members involved.

Again, first call 911 before you go with an emotional response and go in. In that scenario you should remember you might be involved in a tricky situation once the LEOs arrive. If you're in a rural area where LEO response time is long this may be your only option.

#2 - If you detect an intruder "inside" your residence while you're there, then your efforts to secure the house from entry have failed. IMO, you're only option here is like what HansG suggests, hunker down into a defensive position, and automatically call 911.

Once, an intruder detects that you're up and about they can either bug-out, or go into an ambush/defensive position. The latter puts you at high risk as you seek out the intruder.

IMO, one should encourage the intruder to leave the premises ASAP by causing a lot of noise, and taking away any advantage that an intruder may use against you.

As I mentioned earlier, using distraction and diversion methods can put the intruder at an disadvantage.

I mentioned the use of airsoft noise/fragment grenades to distract/divert attention to give you a defensive advantage if yu're taking an active defensive posture. At night the use of Cyalume "high-intensity" light sticks to illuminate dark areas from a distance may be better than exposing ones self trying to make it to a light switch.

Another distraction method is to use your remote alarm on your car keys to get the car alarm blaring.

All of these methods must be used from a secure position in the event the intruder chooses to make a run for the door, or to confront you forcing you to a active defensive decision/action.

Keep contact with 911, and if you have readily available exterior/interior cameras try to activate them to document whatever occurs.

Securing your exterior and entry points to the best extent possible is a big deterrent to incursion, and keeping in mind interior walls basically don't offer much cover from gunfire.

There are also CS/pepper spray grenades available to non-LEO use, but in using these items they fill an area with their contents, which will likely expand to the whole home space so a user(s) may also be affected w/o protection, and the intruder will be debilitated and still need to be dealt with.

Basically it all boils down to the 4 "Ds";

Deterrence - secure the perimeter to deter intrusion
Distraction - distract an intruder from their original intent and becoming aware of your position
Diversion - divert an intruder from confronting you until the LEOs arrive.
Defense - have/maintain a secure position and adequate methods of defending yourself.

My .02

Last edited:
I haven't cleared my house because I like what is in it. 🤭

Seriously , I live in an apartment that is small and can see just about everything . Coming from the bedroom to the living room is the hardest to maneuver but is still easy enough to get around. Plus I am a corner apartment and have a security light just at the corner of the building that gives me enough light to see by at night.

And to answer a few other questions...

I’ve tried clearing with both long guns (shotgun, AR, AUG, braced “pistol”) and handguns.

Lessons learned: Long guns are the hardest; don’t let your barrel lead you around a corner lest it gets grabbed—and controlled. Learn weapon retention techniques. Pistols have an edge when it comes to cornering... but remember pistols suck at stopping people, and can be harder to control in the event of a grab.

Also cleared in both light & dark. Lessons learned: If you have a weapon mounted light, learn to search with it without muzzling someone or something you don’t want to shoot. Example—bounce the light off walls or ceilings, instead of pointing directly at an unknown...or practice with a handheld for searching, switch to weaponlight for shooting.

I’ve started in different rooms, as well as entries through various points. Lesson learned...entry will suck for me, period. Don’t do it; there’s easier ways to commit suicide. I’ll call the cavalry and let the pros do it in a team.

Advice: if you know anyone who does it for real—law enforcement, etc...see if they’ll give you pointers, or walk you through. Solo clearing is difficult...avoid it if you possibly can.
Good input!

I've found some of the same challenges you described above especially with long guns. For the idea of hunkering down that's probably a good idea if you know there's a reasonable threat in your home but what if you think you heard something and are not sure if there's anything even there. Do you investigate or call the police? This maybe the time for some people will clear their house to check the perimeter for signs of intrusion without the need for calling the police.

Been giving this topic some thoughts after my first replies.

#1 - If one has been away from the house when upon return you notice an incursion has occurred/is on-going. There is only one option here - call 911. Leave it to the professionals. The only complication is if there are family members involved.
Going back to your first point where you mentioned the only complication is there are family members involved.

What if you have family members living in different parts of the house or floor and you hear an intrusion but other family members remain sleeping in these other areas do you go on offense to make sure your family is ok or do you wait for the police?

You should always train and have a plan even if the plan is to hunker down and wait for law enforcement to arrive.

How secure is the door to your refuge area?

Will you be using concealment or cover?

Will your phone be handy and ready (unlocked) to make an emergency call in the moment.

How do you describe to law enforcement where you are located in your dwelling accurately?

Do you have a second means of emergency egress?

Last edited:
Going back to your first point where you mentioned the only complication is there are family members involved.

What if you have family members living in different parts of the house or floor and you hear an intrusion but other family members remain sleeping in these other areas do you go on offense to make sure your family is ok or do you wait for the police?

To me that puts more emphasis on making entry into the home has difficult as possible.

Even adding a locking storm door to any exterior doors makes getting in more of a problem, and would cause noise. External lights and cameras would be a given. Also, fencing can complicate intruders getting into a yard/back yard in order to try to access.

If you have folks living in different parts of the house there should be a plan and drill whereas if some thing comes up they can secure themselves in their rooms.

Back