testtest

Have You Cleared Your House?

Not a lot of scenarios to do with our house, due to design. LR, kitchen, MBedRm, MBathRm, & hallway to the garage. Grandsons bedrooms and other bathroom upstairs. We've gone over sheltering-in-place upstairs, and how to barricade their doors from the inside using their bed and dresser "shored" against the door and opposite wall. I can cover the two entrances to our bedroom easily. What's that term about a funnel of ☠.

The 24/7 security cams, motion detector outside lights at night, and two alert dogs would be a precursor to unwanted "guests". Nope, I don't physically practice clearing.
2 dogs can work great. They work as a team. Our Belgian Shepards are slick, only one barks until someone makes odd out of place noise outside or comes through door while the other waits in silence to see who is there. 100 pound lap puppies. Yes, ouch! :)

Attachments

• I Phone pics  02 28 2015 008.jpg
    I Phone pics 02 28 2015 008.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 205
  • I Phone pics  02 28 2015 009.jpg
    I Phone pics 02 28 2015 009.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Unless you have someone in another part of the house that you must get to, clearing your home as a lone individual is silly business in my estimation. A lone defender is at a substantial disadvantage in such a circumstance. If I am inside my home and suspect that someone has truly entered, I will prepare to defend myself from barricade and call the Sheriff to come and check the perimeter for any indication of intrusion. I am not saying that i will call at the first bump in the night. I will look, listen and assess what is happening. If someone is inside my home, there may be 2 ,3 or half a dozen them.. i dont know. I aint going looking for them. I consider lone house clearing to be TV and Movie theatrics ( generally).

That said, I do not think the task should be completely foreign. You can probably benefit from knowing how to safety/tactically carry out such a maneuver.

Last edited:
Unless you have someone in another part of the house that you must get to, clearing your home as a lone individual is silly business in my estimation. A lone defender is at a substantial disadvantage in such a circumstance. If I am inside my home and suspect that someone has truly entered, I will prepare to defend myself from barricade and call the Sheriff to come and check the perimeter for any indication of intrusion. I am not saying that i will call at the first bump in the night. I will look, listen and assess what is happening. If someone is inside my home, there may be 2 ,3 or half a dozen them.. i dont know. I aint going looking for them. I consider lone house clearing to be TV and Movie theatrics ( generally).

That said, I do not think the task should be completely foreign. You can probably benefit from knowing how to safety/tactically carry out such a maneuver.
My house
My castle
I know every inch
2, 3, 4+ . Im not being attacked by Special Forces. This isnt the movies. A thug that breaks in is not a highly trained commando. He is an opportunistic.

Wont end well when homeowner has gun.

My house
My castle
I know every inch
2, 3, 4+ . Im not being attacked by Special Forces. This isnt the movies. A thug that breaks in is not a highly trained commando. He is an opportunistic.

Wont end well when homeowner has gun.

Brother, you know I wish you all the best but most predatory criminals who invade a home do not invade alone. Violent predatory criminals who invade homes often ( nearly always) expect to be challenged or meet resistance at some point. These same criminals commonly come to terms with the lay of land early on in regards to violence being a part of the landscape, are ok with it, accept it and often plan for it. Sure, none of them are likely to be commandos and that makes very little difference in regards to who likely has the advantage. Home invaders and the lesser (burglar) types who are willing to enter an occupied dwelling are not in the same class of criminal as hubcap stealers, shoplifters or purse snatchers.

Again, I wish you the best and after all... its your home. That said, you seem to speak in some fairly firm absolutes in regards to a potential episode that victims rarely have much control over. If you suspect an intruder in your home and intend on running around in search of him, you can. Personally, I would not give into the emotion of the moment but opt to rely more on doing what I feel will offer me the greatest advantage in a bad situation. I will hold my ground and prepare to defend myself unless I have family in another part of the house who may be in danger. If some burglar makes off with something before the Sheriff arrives, fine. If someone wants to steal my TV or some 1970s record albums.. I have insurance for that. I will simply initiate a help response and prepare to defend myself if it should come to that.

Reaching into an open car window to grab a purse, is opportunistic. Invading a home with accomplices or breaking and entering an occupied dwelling is not often an opportunistic crime. I wouldnt be too quick to draw some sort of equivalence between home invaders, burglars and hubcap stealers.

Clearing homes from where and when? Are a few differences. Just coming home? Look for clues before entering, like lights on or off? Glass breakage? Already inside? Lot of difference sometimes, sometimes not. Also, on revealing all in any forum to who? Who does? Advantageous to who?

Brother, you know I wish you all the best but most predatory criminals who invade a home do not invade alone. Violent predatory criminals who invade homes often ( nearly always) expect to be challenged or meet resistance at some point. These same criminals commonly come to terms with the lay of land early on in regards to violence being a part of the landscape, are ok with it, accept it and often plan for it. Sure, none of them are likely to be commandos and that makes very little difference in regards to who likely has the advantage. Home invaders and the lesser (burglar) types who are willing to enter an occupied dwelling are not in the same class of criminal as hubcap stealers, shoplifters or purse snatchers.

Again, I wish you the best and after all... its your home. That said, you seem to speak in some fairly firm absolutes in regards to a potential episode that victims rarely have much control over. If you suspect an intruder in your home and intend on running around in search of him, you can. Personally, I would not give into the emotion of the moment but opt to rely more on doing what I feel will offer me the greatest advantage in a bad situation. I will hold my ground and prepare to defend myself unless I have family in another part of the house who may be in danger. If some burglar makes off with something before the Sheriff arrives, fine. If someone wants to steal my TV or some 1970s record albums.. I have insurance for that. I will simply initiate a help response and prepare to defend myself if it should come to that.

Reaching into an open car window to grab a purse, is opportunistic. Invading a home with accomplices or breaking and entering an occupied dwelling is not often an opportunistic crime. I wouldnt be too quick to draw some sort of equivalence between home invaders, burglars and hubcap stealers.
They die trying
I’ll have a scotch

I was nearly killed and injured for life in a work accident in a former career, trying to provide and support my family. That meant providing a home for them. I won't cower down in some "safe room" if my home has been invaded. I don't care if it's Spetsnaz commandos, or some punk on meth. I worked hard for everything I have. I take a lot of precautions to prevent methheads or any "Special Forces" from invading my home. I know my own home better than anyone, and have enough experience clearing rooms and buildings with prior military service, doing just those things. I'm not waiting on someone to come save me, especially if my family is involved. My home is way more than just a material thing to me.

"...hubcap stealers"?

Are hubcaps still available on vehicles?

Emotional sentiment, bravado, pride or the moral high ground are not particularly good platforms to make effective strategic decisions. Holding the most advantageous position and limiting avenues of attack is not hiding and initiating a help response is not "waiting on someone to come save you".

Human beings are rather predictable in their responses to most provocations and this is what many criminals will count on. Patterns, routines, traits and tendencies are all nuances that do not go unnoticed by predatory criminals. Criminals have been known to profile good guys just like good guys use known traits to profile bad guys. Sure, the guy who breaks into your home might be a bumbling and spaced out meth head but on the other hand, he might not be. Personally, I do not plan to underestimate the criminal who has crept into my home.

Emotional sentiment, bravado, pride or the moral high ground are not particularly good platforms to make effective strategic decisions. Holding the most advantageous position and limiting avenues of attack is not hiding and initiating a help response is not "waiting on someone to come save you".

Human beings are rather predictable in their responses to most provocations and this is what many criminals will count on. Patterns, routines, traits and tendencies are all nuances that do not go unnoticed by predatory criminals. Criminals have been known to profile good guys just like good guys use known traits to profile bad guys. Sure, the guy who breaks into your home might be a bumbling and spaced out meth head but on the other hand, he might not be. Personally, I do not plan to underestimate the criminal who has crept into my home.
You protect your family and home the way you want, and I'll do the same.

"...hubcap stealers"?

Are hubcaps still available on vehicles?

Its a term to describe minor criminals who commonly run when confronted. Busting bottles is similar term that is not intended to be taken literally. It often refers to general disorder and mischief.

To answer your question.. yes, its called a steel wheel cover.

Last edited:
Its a term to describe minor criminals who commonly run when confronted. Busting bottles is similar term that is not intended to be taken literally. It often refers to general disorder and mischief.
Now, "busting bottles" is a term I've not heard used.....but do know what it means, and combined with "hubcap stealers", am getting flashbacks of watching (as a kid) episodes of the Bowery Boys.
;)

Last edited:
This is one of those deals where one size does not fit all. For me hunting for someone in my dark house after I've been awakened is a marginal activity. I feel that my best chance to survive unharmed is to stay in the corner of my bedroom behind the big armchair, armed of course, and wait. If I move around upstairs who ever is downstairs will here me and know where I am. I'd rather surprise them if they enter the bedroom than have them jump me while I'm moving about.
Hopefully being quiet and patient gives me an advantage that pays off when it really counts.

Either way it does not end well for them. Period.

The reasons for clearing your house can be as simple as something looks out of place but not enough to call the authorities so you clear your house just for piece of mind.

It's not a bad thing to practice clearing your house to up your self defense game by experiencing how different weapon platforms handle when in close quarters by trying to clear a floor or room and getting a better understanding of weak points and vulnerabilities in your defense/offensive strategy so you can improve upon your weapon handling skills in these of similar environments.

Everyone will have different needs or thoughts to either shore themselves up in defensive position or to take an offensive position to a potential threat and I would not say any method you choose is the wrong way. We all have different reasons for our approach to defense such as the possible need to protect family members in other parts of the house.

My home is my castle and any being that comes into my castle as threat to my family or my life will be met with an overwhelming force by multiple defenders.

Back