testtest

Have You Cleared Your House?

You should always train and have a plan even if the plan is to hunker down and wait for law enforcement to arrive.

How secure is the door to your refuge area?

That should be planned for ahead of time.

Will you be using concealment or cover?

Either or both should be planned for.

Will your phone be handy and ready (unlocked) to make an emergency call in the moment.

Always have it handy as well as any vehicle key chain with the alarm button.

How do you describe to law enforcement where you are located accurately?

Address, description of the house, and placement of family members inside the residence.

Do you have a second means of emergency egress?

Always handy if possible.

Good input!

I've found some of the same challenges you described above especially with long guns. For the idea of hunkering down that's probably a good idea if you know there's a reasonable threat in your home but what if you think you heard something and are not sure if there's anything even there. Do you investigate or call the police? This maybe the time for some people will clear their house to check the perimeter for signs of intrusion without the need for calling the police.

I guess if I think I hear something...

Is the dog going nuts? Is the alarm blaring? Outside motion lights tripped?

If not...odds are, it’s nothing to worry about, or require armed response.

Yes,

Cleared with:
Full Size Pistol, XD .357 Sig
With and without territorial 770000 grain GSD

Semi Shotgun, Benelli M4
with and without 770000grain territorial GSD

Conclusion, M4 will be best bunkered in bedroom, Pistol for clearing due to corners.

GSD performs well with me, but honestly if he hears someone breaking in in the middle of the night, he will at minimum have the threat backed into a corner, before I can wake up, slap on a vest and unlock the safe.

No, but I am working on security upgrades to the house. Last year, I installed motion-activated perimeter lighting. Last month, I installed a Ring Doorbell to the front door and a Ring Spotlight Camera to the backdoor. These work great. In addition, I have a 13-pound "lap dog" that alerts me to anything out of the ordinary. He likes to sleep near the front of the house near the front door at night. He won't stop barking until I check to make sure everything is alright.

On a side note, I'm surrounded by combat veterans that look out for each other. We are our own neighborhood watch.

No, but I am working on security upgrades to the house. Last year, I installed motion-activated perimeter lighting. Last month, I installed a Ring Doorbell to the front door and a Ring Spotlight Camera to the backdoor. These work great. In addition, I have a 13-pound "lap dog" that alerts me to anything out of the ordinary. He likes to sleep near the front of the house near the front door at night. He won't stop barking until I check to make sure everything is alright.

On a side note, I'm surrounded by combat veterans that look out for each other. We are our own neighborhood watch.
It's awesome to have good neighbors!

I cleared the house a few years ago when I was in the office working from home alone upstairs. About mid day, the Dog under my desk growled a nasty snarl and fur stood up on his back. He went to my office doorway growling. He had never done that ever in my years of working from home. 😳
Got the “oh crap” sensation and heard stuff banging around downstairs. Grabbed my .357 S&W I keep in my desk and proceeded past the dog to go downstairs and see WTF was in my house. Top of stairs I could hear someone in the kitchen area. Proceeded downstairs cautiously and saw a shadow coming my direction to the stairs.
Raised my .357, dog growled and snarled again behind me at top of stairs , and person came into view.

MY WIFE !!! 😳😳😳

i had a .357 pointed at her and the dog was about to jump 10’ down the stairs and attack. I think we all about pooped in an instant.
My wife freaked out staring at a muzzle and teeth of the dog.

i put the gun down instantly and was like WTF, you are supposed to be at work and we (dog and I) never heard her come home or in the house. Well, she was sick and came home to go to bed and call it a day.
I left the garage door wide open and back door to garage unlocked when everyone went off for the day. She parked in the driveway.

learned a few lessons about house clearing that day and to check the house for open/unlocked doors as well before everyone is off to work. Got motion cameras as well.
Some hard lessons learned about safety, security, house clearing and locking stuff up.

I cleared the house a few years ago when I was in the office working from home alone upstairs. About mid day, the Dog under my desk growled a nasty snarl and fur stood up on his back. He went to my office doorway growling. He had never done that ever in my years of working from home. 😳
Got the “oh crap” sensation and heard stuff banging around downstairs. Grabbed my .357 S&W I keep in my desk and proceeded past the dog to go downstairs and see WTF was in my house. Top of stairs I could hear someone in the kitchen area. Proceeded downstairs cautiously and saw a shadow coming my direction to the stairs.
Raised my .357, dog growled and snarled again behind me at top of stairs , and person came into view.

MY WIFE !!! 😳😳😳

i had a .357 pointed at her and the dog was about to jump 10’ down the stairs and attack. I think we all about pooped in an instant.
My wife freaked out staring at a muzzle and teeth of the dog.

i put the gun down instantly and was like WTF, you are supposed to be at work and we (dog and I) never heard her come home or in the house. Well, she was sick and came home to go to bed and call it a day.
I left the garage door wide open and back door to garage unlocked when everyone went off for the day. She parked in the driveway.

learned a few lessons about house clearing that day and to check the house for open/unlocked doors as well before everyone is off to work. Got motion cameras as well.
Some hard lessons learned about safety, security, house clearing and locking stuff up.
Wow man awesome story!

Things like this can really teach you a valuable life lesson and make us reevaluate our approach and techniques in a potential situation.

Haven't worked on house clearing but have considered some of the "what if?" scenarios and the SHTF possibilities/probabilities.
At the first class myself and my wife took with a local instructor at a private range he had us do some basic things like one handed firing from behind a wall to simulate taking cover behind walls, refrigerators, etc.
Its definitely a different experience weak hand shooting and keeping as much of yourself "covered" while doing so.

Haven't worked on house clearing but have considered some of the "what if?" scenarios and the SHTF possibilities/probabilities.
At the first class myself and my wife took with a local instructor at a private range he had us do some basic things like one handed firing from behind a wall to simulate taking cover behind walls, refrigerators, etc.
Its definitely a different experience weak hand shooting and keeping as much of yourself "covered" while doing so.
Most people don't realize how much different it is to handle your weapons in an environment outside the range.

A few weeks ago I woke up to what I thought was a loud bang. I was up and armed before my eyes even had time to adjust. While clearing the house I realized my senses were very disoriented having just woke with adrenaline in the middle of the night. House was clear but it's just something else to factor into the flowchart of preparations.

A few weeks ago I woke up to what I thought was a loud bang. I was up and armed before my eyes even had time to adjust. While clearing the house I realized my senses were very disoriented having just woke with adrenaline in the middle of the night. House was clear but it's just something else to factor into the flowchart of preparations.
Good info for a real life potential situation! 👍

Most people don't realize how much different it is to handle your weapons in an environment outside the range.
A long time ago while on a hunt, a skunk decided to make the area below my ladder blind his dinner spot. Rooting around and what not. Stayed for 30 min and it got dark and he was still blocking my way down foraging. Decided to pull my 9mm and dispatch him so I wouldn't encounter him coming down or other times entering the ladder blind in the dark morning to start a hunt.

well, pulled the pistol and let er rip. Bare miss, skunk on the run(lope), round 2 bare miss, Round 3 bare miss at 15+ yards, WTF, round 3 miss, 🤬🤬🤬.... took more time on round 4 and a hit.
Realized at that point I had never fired at a moving target with a pistol. Just a static target.

changed my practice drills to involve moving targets and also me on the move.

that skunk revealed the flaw in my training.

A long time ago while on a hunt, a skunk decided to make the area below my ladder blind his dinner spot. Rooting around and what not. Stayed for 30 min and it got dark and he was still blocking my way down foraging. Decided to pull my 9mm and dispatch him so I wouldn't encounter him coming down or other times entering the ladder blind in the dark morning to start a hunt.

well, pulled the pistol and let er rip. Bare miss, skunk on the run(lope), round 2 bare miss, Round 3 bare miss at 15+ yards, WTF, round 3 miss, 🤬🤬🤬.... took more time on round 4 and a hit.
Realized at that point I had never fired at a moving target with a pistol. Just a static target.

changed my practice drills to involve moving targets and also me on the move.

that skunk revealed the flaw in my training.

Once he was running why not just let him go?

Back