testtest

Hellcat .380

I have not shot any of the Hellcats without the compensator, so I have no idea if they'd be uncontrollable for me or not. However, I do have the Hellcat RDP and apparently the comp works very well as I have absolutely no problem with recoil or keeping it on target for that 2nd shot.
You wouldn't have a problem with a non-compensated Hellcat.

As Hans alluded to, below is a clipped post to a Glock forum on why Glock does not import their .380:

(Note, I cannot verify the accuracy of this post below, but it seemed reasonable to me upon finding it with a simple Google-search and found this information on XD-Search)

Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

As we know, the Hellcat is polymer and made overseas, hence it needs to comply with ATF import rules.
I'm not too sure that system as presented is accurate; if I'm understanding that 75 point system correctly, I don't think the Hellcat or the Hellcat pro would qualify.

Hellcat/Hellcat Pro Points

Hellcat Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1 = 0/2 Points
Forged steel frame 15 = 0/0 Points
Forged HTS alloy frame 20 = 0/0 Points
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1 = 18/21 Points
.22 short and .25 auto 0 = 0/0 Points
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3 = 0/0 Points
9mm parabellum and over 10 = 10/10 Points
Locked breech mechanism 5 = 5/5 Points
Loaded chamber indicator 5 = 5/5 Points
Grip safety 3 = 0/0 Points
Magazine safety 5 = 0/0 Points
Firing pin block or lock 10 = 0/0 Points
External hammer 2 = 0/0 Points
Double action 10 = 0/0 Points
Drift adjustable target sight 5 = 0/0 Points
Click adjustable target sight 10 = 0/0 Points
Target grips 5 = 0/0 Points
Target trigger 2 = 0/0 Points

Hellcat total = 38
Hellcat Pro total = 43

Am I missing something?

I'm not too sure that system as presented is accurate; if I'm understanding that 75 point system correctly, I don't think the Hellcat or the Hellcat pro would qualify.

Hellcat/Hellcat Pro Points

Hellcat Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1 = 0/2 Points
Forged steel frame 15 = 0/0 Points
Forged HTS alloy frame 20 = 0/0 Points
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1 = 18/21 Points
.22 short and .25 auto 0 = 0/0 Points
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3 = 0/0 Points
9mm parabellum and over 10 = 10/10 Points
Locked breech mechanism 5 = 5/5 Points
Loaded chamber indicator 5 = 5/5 Points
Grip safety 3 = 0/0 Points
Magazine safety 5 = 0/0 Points
Firing pin block or lock 10 = 0/0 Points
External hammer 2 = 0/0 Points
Double action 10 = 0/0 Points
Drift adjustable target sight 5 = 0/0 Points
Click adjustable target sight 10 = 0/0 Points
Target grips 5 = 0/0 Points
Target trigger 2 = 0/0 Points

Hellcat total = 38
Hellcat Pro total = 43

Am I missing something?
Sights are drift adjustable, also has a firing pin block.

Also, I believe that since the frame has steel components embedded in it, it’s considered steel.

it's possible that they are imported with click adjustable sights which are replaced after they’re in the US (it's how the Glock 26 made import).

Last edited:
Sights are drift adjustable (+5 points), also has a firing pin block (+10 points).

Also, I believe that since the frame has steel components embedded in it, it’s considered steel (I think that is a stretch but ok, +15 points).
So then the...

Hellcat would have my 38 points and your additional 30 which equals 68 points.
Hellcat Pro would have my 43 points and your additional 30 which equals 73 points.

Still neither one reaches that 75 point threshold.

I think there is something wrong with the list.

If SA wants to chamber "another" cartridge in addition to the 9mm in the Hellcat they should consider the new .30 Super.

Not only does it offer much better performance than the .380, there would be an automatic magazine increase over the 9mm w/o mag extensions.

..."Perhaps capacity is actually the biggest difference because the 30 Super Carry can hold 12 rounds in the same magazine space where a 9mm holds 10 rounds. Could two rounds make or break a self-defense situation? Yes."

Increased Capacity

With ballistics and recoil so similar to 9mm, perhaps the greatest advantage for 30 Super Carry is in its size. Slimmer than both .380 Auto and 9mm, the new round is sleek. Stacked in a magazine, it increases capacity compared to 9mm and .380 Auto handgun offerings. In the Shield™ EZ®, capacity is 10+1; that translates to 2 more rounds compared to the same pistol chambered in 9mm or .380. In the Shield Plus, the capacity jumps to 16 + 1. More ammo in the mag allows for more shots before reloading. For many CCW owners who don’t carry a spare magazine, these extra rounds provide a significant advantage.

Last edited:
Bobcat...polecat...whatever. if someone made a mini Hellcat .380 I'd buy one or two as a backup. I was looking at the Ruger .380 Max. But too many issues. If the SA .380 was similar in size to a Hellcat I would not buy one. Only interested in super compact and hi cap for .380. If I can't have that I stick with the Hellcat. Why would I go .380 unless a big difference in size.

"Angrycat" chambered in 30 Super.

Since you get 3 extra rounds in a 10 rd 9mm sized mag, then you could have an extra 1-2 rds in an extended 15 rd Hellcat mag so that adds up to 19-20 rds of 30 Super (more performance than a 380 & breathing on the 9mm performance level) in the original Hellcat size.

Last edited:
Back