testtest

Hellcat primer drag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, SA tested the Hellcat for 20,000 rounds and didn’t have any issues.
And I have posted a video of a Hellcat striker that broke after less than 500 rounds. maybe not related to dragging, but here it is, just as a counter-example of your 20,000 round statement and implication that ALL guns will last the same:

On the same logic, if your neighbor has the same car like you car it means that you both gonna have the same defects, at the same mileage? That's not how mechanical devices work, "sample of one" is not sufficient.

Also, prototype can be different from production.

What we can go over is educated guesses. What level of striker drag is "acceptable". What is the average? Can it be reduced?

Until now I saw only one other picture and is less dramatic than mine.

Last edited:
And I have posted a video of a Hellcat striker that broke after less than 500 rounds. maybe not related to dragging, but here it is, just as a counter-example of your 20,000 round statement and implication that ALL guns will last the same:

On the same logic, if your neighbor has the same car like you car it means that you both gonna have the same defects, at the same mileage? That's not how mechanical devices work, "sample of one" is not sufficient.

Also, prototype can be different from production.

What we can go over is educated guesses. What level of striker drag is "acceptable". What is the average? Can it be reduced?

Until now I saw only one other picture and is less dramatic than mine.
guy says his striker broke, (at about the 2:12 point) while dry firing..... so no snap cap????

i was always reading on the many websites, to NEVER dry fire, without a snap cap, as the snap caps prevent the striker from mashing hard into the rear of the breech face?

then the company itself shot off over 20,000 rds, and NO problems..??? and that of course was WITH ammo, not dry firing??

as the snap caps prevent the striker from mashing hard into the rear of the breech face?
Maybe. But I would expect that to break the front of the striker... where the smashing action happens. Not the rear, that's used to retract and keep the striker retracted.
then the company itself shot off over 20,000 rds, and NO problems
So, to the same tune, if, lets say, Hyundai says that they run the car and THEY had no problems, it means that your Hyundai also will have no problems? No recalls are ever needed?

That striker in the video is broken. Something went wrong... I don't care too much about theoretical discussions, that was just an example that strikers can break even if the company says that they run 20,000 rounds trough what I suspect was a prototype gun.

I am just trying to ascertain if my striker dragging can have the same effect. For my own safety and peace of mind. Until now just one person posted pictures of their caps, and it looks better than mine. Thank you uspatriot1960.

Last edited:
Maybe. But I would expect that to break the front of the striker... where the smashing action happens. Not the rear, that's used to retract and keep the striker retracted.

So, to the same tune, if, lets say, Hyundai says that they run the car and THEY had no problems, it means that your Hyundai also will have no problems? No recalls are ever needed?

That striker in the video is broken. Something went wrong... I don't care too much about theoretical discussions, that was just an example that strikers can break even if the company says that they run 20,000 rounds trough what I suspect was a prototype gun.

I am just trying to ascertain if my striker dragging can have the same effect. For my own safety and peace of mind. Until now just one person posted pictures of their caps, and it looks better than mine. Thank you uspatriot1960.
you cannot compare guns to cars, or apples to oranges....

i think you're worried over nothing.

if you feel that nervous that your striker will crap out, buy another one from another source that absolutely guarantee's a zillion rounds with no issues.

are you brand new to guns?

i have only been in this for a bit over a year, and frankly, i don't lose any sleep over something that "might happen", cuz it was on a you tube video

i will go along with the video posted by me, that the primer strike is normal, and the video YOU posted from a person that dried fired with out snap caps, being the cause.

OK, that was just an example of: Because one mechanical item worked, doesn't guarantee a similar one cannot fail. Gosh...

Everywhere I see pictures of primer drag online, it's less than in my picture.

Thanks to everyone that helped in this thread.

PS: For the individuals that keep minimizing my question with "your are new to guns", and "all compact pistols do that", and similar, this is a pic of the cases spent today in my brand-new Sig 356 (mfg date Jan 2021, with their new beveled striker), same ammo, JHP and FMJ):

20210410_123303.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that helped in this thread.

PS: For the individuals that keep minimizing my question with "your are new to guns", and "all compact pistols do that", and similar, this is a pic of the cases spent today in my brand-new Sig 356 (mfg date Jan 2021, with their new beveled striker), same ammo, JHP and FMJ):

View attachment 16589
I can’t fault you on feeling minimized but you also can’t compare pistol against pistol like that. The word “all” shouldn’t have been used but it is a common occurrence with micro compacts. It’s only an issue if the gun doesn’t fire or the striker breaks before it’s useful life span ends. Otherwise it’s cosmetic. I’ve already mentioned yours looks a bit excessive, to my woefully untrained eye, and we’re working on that. But the 365 is another use case all together. When it first came out the model line as a whole had horrifying primer drag, many to the point of FTF. They quietly redesigned and did a stealth voluntary recall, you only knew if you called. It makes sense your 365 hole punches because they’d get lambasted otherwise.

The new Sig striker tip looks very... engineered.
Personally I think it's a bit of a beauty, the beveled angle looks like it will throw "back" the striker out from the hole when the barrel starts to rotate vertically.
Also I have read that they reduced the protrusion of the tip out of breech face, by making the front plastic retainer a bit thicker.

20210407_181305.jpg

20210407_181232.jpg

PS: Those pics are taken with my Galaxy S21.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I'd say that as long as the drag stays within the primer - and doesn't impact the cartridge - you should be ok. I would think the primer would be soft enough that it shouldn't impact the life or function of the striker.

I could be wrong - and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am...

That requires some force, even for a "soft" primer. I am imagining trying to scrape something like that by hand.
Then I look at the perfect punches from the P365.
Maybe I'll try to open the stinker channel, see if there is any oil in there. If there is not... IDK.
Wonder if dry lubrication would be OK in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back