testtest

Hellcat trigger issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the nature of the stated "problem" and the lack of a manual safety on the Hellcat, my opinion is that SA purposely designed the trigger safety to avoid accidental discharges if proper trigger technique is not applied. A welcome safety feature in addition to the drop safety. With 1500+ rounds thru my Hellcat, it has never happened to me, although I've never tried to induce it and never will. Just my opinion.

I did not have any issues at all as I read this before I bought it. Just never ran into it. But not related I put in the new Apex trigger anyway and it just feels better to me. I highly recommend anyway just switching it out. Certainly a improvement but again I had no troubles with the OEM version

I have the same problem with my trigger, never had a issue like this with any of my
Glocks with the same style trigger. Springfield just put a crap trigger in a otherwise really nice gun. It’s pretty bad when you spend that kind of money for a self defense pistol and you can’t even depend on it. Shame on Springfield for releasing a crap trigger that most people will change out at additional cost just because SPRINGFIELD is to lazy to do there job.

I have the same problem with my trigger, never had a issue like this with any of my
Glocks with the same style trigger. Springfield just put a crap trigger in a otherwise really nice gun. It’s pretty bad when you spend that kind of money for a self defense pistol and you can’t even depend on it. Shame on Springfield for releasing a crap trigger that most people will change out at additional cost just because SPRINGFIELD is to lazy to do there job.
Don’t push it sideways! Pushing the trigger sideways is bad trigger control and what leads to inducing low left hits. Life is too short, sell it and get something that makes you happy. Plenty of people will line up to take it off your hands.

It is a good pistol. That is why I did not sell it. It should be a recall by Springfield but they will not admit to an issue. I sent them an email about it and they did not even reply. I had nothing against SF until now. Shot themselves in the foot. I guess it would cost them to much to fix it. And before someone says it. I can't shot or need more training.

I recently purchased the Hellcat OSP and was unaware of the trigger issue until I tried to dry-fire it. If I carefully place my finger squarely on the trigger, all is well; however, if I move my finger from the safe carry position alongside the trigger guard and place it on the trigger, the trigger will lockup when pressure is applied. I contacted SA about this issue and they denied it existed. Next I compared the trigger to my XD-S, which has no trigger issue and discovered that the Hellcat's trigger sticks out at a much different angle within the trigger guard than the XD-S. This greater angle reduces the open space in front of the trigger within the trigger guard making it more difficult to contact the trigger squarely when moving the finger from alongside the trigger guard to a firing position. The XD-S trigger angle provides more room in front of the trigger, so a person is less likely to have an issue with applying side pressure to the trigger. In my opinion, this is definitely an issue SA needs to address with a mechanical fix, instead of blowing it off as "operator error".

It may be shooter induced but I haven’t heard any similar complaints about other guns so it’s definitely not “ Normal”.
And the “ use proper trigger control” argument doesn’t hold water either. The whole reason for this gun’s existence is concealed carry. In a self defense situation with the adrenaline pumping the last thing you should have to worry about is your gun not going off when you pull the trigger. What if you’re on your back with some punk on top of you? What if you’re forced to shoot with your weak hand and a couple fingers on that hand are broke? Too much can happen in a SD situation to be carrying a “ finicky” gun.

Sell it.

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing until the Hellcat cane out. I don't know why anyone would purposefully try to induce a malfunction through improper handling. I did try this on my XD-S or XD-M Elite and cannot produce the same results. I wonder if you can produce the same results during rapid fire using a proper grip. I ask because this is most likely the way you will respond to a deadly threat.

As I mentioned in an earlier post. I have a deposit on a Hellcat OSP. I'm beginning to have doubts on my purchase. My head says don't worry....my gut says wait. Is there a Mod 2 around the corner that addresses this issue? Do I complete the purchase and then have the Apex trigger installed.
Perplexed

As I posted earlier in this thread:

The Hellcat does require a much more precise trigger pull, with much better trigger discipline, than my XD-s. Granted, I probably have 5k rounds through my XD-s and only 100 through the Hellcat so far...but that's what I've found by reading the threads, and then checking out the (unloaded) pistols in front of the TV in the evening. I can have my finger at a 45 degree angle to the barrel in the XD-s, and successfully pull that trigger, because I get safety blade contact even at that angle. The Hellcat wants my finger at a true 90 degree angle.

I can make it not-fire in the living room, but have yet to have it not-fire when actually shooting it. Again - only 100 rounds through it so far...but I haven't had any issues when in actual, shooting action.

I have even more rounds through the Hellcat now...still no actual live-fire failure-to-fire situations. Push on the safety blade FIRST...it fires every time. Have your finger at the wrong angle (and I think another factor could be the narrower trigger guard, compared to the XD-s, allowing an easier off-angle trigger finger), and you can pull the trigger without first depressing the safety blade.

Any firearm designed and advertised for personal protection should be reliable for all users without having to be concerned about the angle of contact our finger makes with the trigger. SA needs to fix this before someone looses their life trying to protect their family with the Hellcat.

Any firearm designed and advertised for personal protection should be reliable for all users without having to be concerned about the angle of contact our finger makes with the trigger. SA needs to fix this before someone looses their life trying to protect their family with the Hellcat.
Well put.

Yeah, I see your point.

Do not purchase this gun unless you want to purchase a reliable aftermarket trigger. Remember all it takes is once and either you or your loved one is laying on the ground. DEAD!
I own one but will only carry my Glock or Sig due to this issue. Save your money and your life and purchase something 100% reliable.

i have not had this problem . I have smaller fingers I guess and no problems but it is a safety so I would think this is normal function as thats what the safety is for. Regardless most triggers and sights are typically not the best. Hellcat does have nice sights but I replaced the trigger anyway with a Apex trigger cost 75 dollars and cost 50 bucks to install it. It’s really nice too and it’s smooth as silk. Besides that I got it in Red on my FDE and looks great but no fear of any critical situation. I think people expect miracles on a 500 dollar gun. Go to a gun shop grab any 2500 dollar gun and you will feel the difference I guarantee it. Better parts on more expensive guns. I’m a photographer there are cheap lenses and very expensive ones and believe me there is a huge difference. Now since it’s a problem for some, maybe a recall or warranty work is necessary. That’s their call but if you are using it as a EDC are you not wanting to upgrade to improve it’s functions than that maybe on you. I put a RED DOT on to help me see, we use critical defense ammo just in case. Another words we are updating our system to perform better are we not anyway but let’s not forget it’s a 13 rounder in a small compact carry gun, no one else has this feature. It’s as big as my Sig P938 so it’s really a great conceal carry. Don’t lose sight of that either.

If you press the safety blade properly, as you should, it‘s a non issue. There are several other blade safety guns that will lock up the same way if not operated properly.

Why is this one the only one people are complaining about? I have a bunch of strikers. None of them have ever failed to go off when I press the trigger.

And again, in a self defense situation a lot of things can happen. When you’re on your back with some ape on top of you I’m sure you’re going to be thinking about correctly pressing the trigger.

I’ve never fired a Hellcat, but based on the inordinate amount of complaints about the trigger locking up there’s no way in hell I’d ever buy one for concealed carry. Which would be the only reason anyone would ever buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back