testtest

Hellcat Triggers

I can’t trust that the finger placement in a high stress situation will be there...I like a gun that will perform 💯% of the time regardless of how much one practices. I shoot 500-1000 rounds a month out of my Springfield 45, my Brownings 380 and 9, my Colt 357, and yes several 22 pistols (why .22’s you wonder, have you bought ammo lately?) combined and know plenty about trigger placement and control. Despite what many on the Forums say about how one should practice, I think that after 50 plus years and probably half a million rounds fired at a range as a shooter competitively, instructing, pleasure, and hunting I know how important trigger placement is and have an idea if a trigger is not functioning correctly.

Looking at the Apex trigger safety it’s apparent how the issue is solved via the insertion of a increased size safety release. Problem solved. Seems Springfield will follow shortly or accept and honor a warranty of their product with a modified Apex trigger. The legality of warranty acceptance by Springfield (although looking at Apex’s video on replacing the trigger is fairly simple) will probably be that the trigger must be installed by them or a certified gunsmith.

I realize that triggers are made like some caps that “One Size Fits All” but not all fingers are the same size. $600 for a gun that for now I can’t trust is a lot of money to pay. I’d recommend folks to buy the Springfield Hellcat once Springfield accepts that there might be a design issue with the functionality of the trigger and get things resolved but for now, for me, the Hellcat not a safe CCW.

If you want a firearm of similar size, weight, capacity, and reliability and I include RELIABILITY on the Springfield line because the Springfield line of pistols are reliable and don’t have the trigger issues the Hellcat is suffering for now and maybe it is something as simple as a production run but they are great guns, then you might entertain something similar with a manual safety. There are a few out there of equal carry capacity, weight, and size. Only difference is if you’re going to add optics it’s going to cost more. My Hellcat is a Hellcat OSP. However being an open sights and laser shooter, I was planning on not adding optics to the Hellcat. Optics make a gun look cool but being used to open sights target acquisition and laser operations I think, for me, that’s the route to go.

Maybe the Apex triggered Hellcat will work but having to do that is like buying a new vehicle and having to change the gas pedal (although most gas pedals now are electronic) to a different one because the OEM pedal sticks when depressed or doesn’t engage when depressed so the car hesitates or stalls completely on acceleration. In traffic that is a bad thing. I’m sure one would be at the dealership ASAP trying to resolve the issue. Can you imagine the dealership telling you, or like on the Springfield Amory Forum their are some folks saying “you just need to practice more and/or get used to it”? I’d wager these same folks, having an automobile accelerator that hesitated or stuck when depressing the pedal, would be screaming the loudest at a dealership in such an instance.

Anyway folk that’s just my opinion and unlike what’s going on in our current political atmosphere of shutting down free speech, thinking, or opinions, I believe everyone’s input here should be directed not to each other but to the folks producing the product. Information is great knowledge when making a decision to make a purchase and especially so if a life, injury, or death could be involved by not know there are issues with a product. Minimally it make you aware of an issue and allows one to compensate.

Like right after 9-11 what was the battle cry? “If you see something wrong, say something!”.

All in all this input will only serve to make an already great product even better.

Again, my Hellcat is a Hellcat OSP. I know I’ve read that some non OSP HC owners are not having issues so maybe there’s a model differences issue.

I’m not having any issues with my trigger on a OSP but decided to buy the Apex anyway. It’s actually at the gunsmith now. Hopefully get it back next week. Off topic but I’m more pissed off at my 911 .380. I pushed the spring down to far on my extractor and it’s not working than a spring popped off under the safety. I found the spring and it’s little part but here is what the gunsmith said. If he needs parts it maybe months and that is not making me happy at all. It’s my EDC and now both guns are in the shop. I have nothing on hand. Not a big deal but I’m thinking maybe buy the Sig 938 9mm because I can get parts faster it seems. After the 380 repair I could give it to my wife or son. Maybe better with 9mm as my EDC and it’s still small

Hey guys. Scott Folk from Apex here.

If you guys have any questions about our triggers or their function, please say so.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the factory trigger safety. We didn't create our trigger to "Fix" anything, we made a trigger to improve the trigger pull and weight. The wide safety is our standard safety size for all new triggers.

Thanks
Scott @ Apex

Last edited:
I got my firearm back today from the gunsmith. I will shoot on range but I can immediately tell a very very clean break and very nice reset but want to get real ammo in tomorrow. Nice looking too. I got Red for my FDE Hellcat

Attachments

• 8F9EC95E-38AF-4BA4-9EEB-C03C60659813.jpeg
    8F9EC95E-38AF-4BA4-9EEB-C03C60659813.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 7,126
I'm a real stickler when it comes to rifle triggers, but my Hellcat trigger is fine for me for it's given role, and it's not a competition gun where I'd want some thing better.

If you guys have any questions about our triggers or their function, please say so.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the factory trigger safety. We didn't create our trigger to "Fix" anything, we made a trigger to improve the trigger pull and weight. The wide safety is our standard safety size for all new triggers.

Thanks
Scott @ Apex

Hey Scott welcome to the club.

Thanks
Scott @ Apex
Yeah Scott, welcome to the forum. I have one of your triggers in my Shield 1.0 9mm, and what a difference from the original S&W stock trigger. As far as replacing the trigger in my non OSP Hellcat, I’m echoing the same as @Talyn posting here, as so far it’s been functioning fine. However, if the need arises, Apex will always be kept in mind.

With so many different triggers out there, an upgraded or aftermarket trigger does not turn your gun into a competition gun. Pistol or rifle. Not saying here, but just talking and reading so many assume that. Triggers are made for competition and also made to take up slack and to have a better reset while still having a 5# weight which, believe it or not is what comes from the “factory”. If you don’t believe a better trigger will make you a better shot, I don’t know what to tell you. Also, I love my Apex, I’ve said it in other post. I have triggers from several different companies for several different roles.

I got it for looks for one plus the added benefit of taking up the slack and a better brake and reset. I hope more than anything it helps me become a better shooter. Worst case we just pissed some money away. LOL

I got it for looks for one plus the added benefit of taking up the slack and a better brake and reset. I hope more than anything it helps me become a better shooter. Worst case we just pissed some money away. LOL

I think you will be well pleased with it, not just from the looks or even dry firing but on the range as well. Looks really good, I have the red one also. Looking forward to how you like it.

I think the OP needs to clearly explain what exactly is the safety issue with the Hellcat. Also, the OSP & non-OSP models are the same with the exception of the OSP capability.

In this and the other post none of the "issue" is explained. If it's the "squishiness" characteristic of all striker-fired pistols, in one way or another, it comes with the territory.

The aftermarket is there to tighten up the "feel" - reset & take-up, but that is what you get used to, get a aftermarket trigger, or get another gun that feels better.

If it's how the owner/operator handles the pistol then it's an operator issue. All handgun designs are, and all users operate handguns in individual ways. Adapt to the handgun, go toe the aftermarket to improve certain aspects like reset and/or take-up (aka creep), or switch to something else that feels better to the individual user.

Don't label it a "safety" issue, and I'd suggest not recommending the Hellcat for CCW based on one individual experience.

My .02

I think the OP needs to clearly explain what exactly is the safety issue with the Hellcat. Also, the OSP & non-OSP models are the same with the exception of the OSP capability.

In this and the other post none of the "issue" is explained. If it's the "squishiness" characteristic of all striker-fired pistols, in one way or another, it comes with the territory.

The aftermarket is there to tighten up the "feel" - reset & take-up, but that is what you get used to, get a aftermarket trigger, or get another gun that feels better.

If it's how the owner/operator handles the pistol then it's an operator issue. All handgun designs are, and all users operate handguns in individual ways. Adapt to the handgun, go toe the aftermarket to improve certain aspects like reset and/or take-up (aka creep), or switch to something else that feels better to the individual user.

Don't label it a "safety" issue, and I'd suggest not recommending the Hellcat for CCW based on one individual experience.

My .02
@Talyn, here another thread posted on this forum in May also discussing "Hellcat Trigger Issues". It's never happened to me on the range, but I have used lateral finger pressure to cause the issue while the gun was safely unloaded and cleared. I'm not sure, drawing from holster and need to shot would normally have the finger placement as such to cause this problem (I suppose it could be possible), but again, I was fine shooting it at the range with my natural trigger placement.

Thanks. The other poster said it was all over the web, but I never saw it based on my web visitations.

IMO putting lateral pressure on the trigger is a direct operator error based on grip placement & trigger control, or indirectly in order to cause this characteristic.

Last edited:
@Talyn, here another thread posted on this forum in May also discussing "Hellcat Trigger Issues". It's never happened to me on the range, but I have used lateral finger pressure to cause the issue while the gun was safely unloaded and cleared. I'm not sure, drawing from holster and need to shot would normally have the finger placement as such to cause this problem (I suppose it could be possible), but again, I was fine shooting it at the range with my natural trigger placement.

Out of the box my hellcat trigger stuck. I couldn’t figure out what was happening. Had never heard of this being a possibility pre purchase. That was on the range in calm controlled fire. My only concern is if I’m in an arms length fight a less than perfect grip will not let the gun go bang. This would not be the time for someone who has never experienced the phenomenon I and others have to suddenly discover that it can happen to them as well.

Thanks. The other poster said it was all over the web, but I never saw it based on my web visitations.

IMO putting lateral pressure on the trigger is a direct operator error based on grip placement & trigger control, or indirectly in order to cause this characteristic.
True enough, but you shouldn't assume that even an experienced marksman will in every circumstance be able to deploy proper grip placement or trigger control. And the Hellcat is a SD gun. That's it's entire reason for existing. I know we have had these discussions here before ad nauseum and I have made my opinion known, even though I have never even seen a Hellcat in person, but I'll go ahead and reiterate it here. And this opinion is mine and only meant to apply to me. I am a fan of Springfield firearms and one of the favorite firearms I own is a SA. I personally would never buy a Hellcat or any SD gun that had any prerequisites for firing other than pulling the trigger. If the bladed safety in the trigger of my Mod 2. ever impeded me in any way, ever, either the trigger would be replaced or the gun would be sold. That's just my opinion. A SD gun that only operates if you use proper trigger control or grip placement is dangerous and unworthy as a carry gun.

That said, having never handled one I can't be sure this is actually the case. I wouldn't even consider a Hellcat without having some range time with it first.

True enough, but you shouldn't assume that even an experienced marksman will in every circumstance be able to deploy proper grip placement or trigger control. And the Hellcat is a SD gun. That's it's entire reason for existing. I know we have had these discussions here before ad nauseum and I have made my opinion known, even though I have never even seen a Hellcat in person, but I'll go ahead and reiterate it here. And this opinion is mine and only meant to apply to me. I am a fan of Springfield firearms and one of the favorite firearms I own is a SA. I personally would never buy a Hellcat or any SD gun that had any prerequisites for firing other than pulling the trigger. If the bladed safety in the trigger of my Mod 2. ever impeded me in any way, ever, either the trigger would be replaced or the gun would be sold. That's just my opinion. A SD gun that only operates if you use proper trigger control or grip placement is dangerous and unworthy as a carry gun.

That said, having never handled one I can't be sure this is actually the case. I wouldn't even consider a Hellcat without having some range time with it first.
I tend to agree with you Bob. Although I've mentioned that I've fired over 100 rounds without experiencing this issue (before I even knew about it), I was able to reproduce it with my unloaded Hellcat. I've tried this on my Sig P365, and can not produce a similar issue. I must say that I'm a little bewildered that SA now seems to be producing Hellcats (my model) with a different trigger that doesn't seem to have this issue, and to my current knowledge, haven't previously heard of the SA announcement of a new Hellcat version (and I'm not referring to the new Hellcat RPD version with it's exciting improvements including the trigger), with a new modified trigger that improves it for what? (lighter trigger pull, faster reset, etc). To the best of my knowledge, this seems to be their "fix" to an issue that several owners out there have documented. If this is the case, I feel SA should have at least offered a Voluntary Upgrade Program like Sig did with the P320 (not necessarily comparing the two issues here), or a full blown recall. Hopefully this will never become an issue that could result in a lawsuit, if someone was either injured or killed due to their inability to pull the trigger in a self defense incident. This is only my opinion, perhaps I'll put a new trigger in mine, and I'm sure others may disagree with my entire assessment here, which is their right. But in my mind, it's one more thing I need to consider.

IMHO, it's not a bug, it's a feature. I read about the issue before I bought my Hellcat, and sure enough, any lateral pressure prevents the trigger from moving rearward. I practiced the hell out of it, so that a straight trigger pull is now muscle memory, and I never have had a problem, at the range or in training exercises under stress.

If a guy is on top of you trying to pull your pistol out of your hand are you 100% confident that your muscle memory will still be there as the gun is being jerked around? Trust in its reliability to function at all times is my biggest concern. I understand that practice makes perfect, but some things may not be fixed by practice.. It only needs to fail once.

Back