testtest

Hex Wasp - Anyone’s randomly stop working?

I agree, but my particular issue is dead battery after every month. 3 batteries in 3 months. Has to be the faulty unit. But tomorrow i will be sending back the wasp. Was told 30 days to get a new one. Thats fine. As long as they are doing there part. Springfield is good with there warranties.
Yes, I was writing primarily to 'meatofman24' having the issue with his sight not holding zero. I agree with you on the battery issue. See his post in msg #116 above.

As an aside, I have a Wasp I've never mounted but did install the battery on 12/26/21 due to this very thread. As of today, 3/1/22, a full two months, it's still going strong. But mine was bought from Springfield Armory well over a year ago, just had not installed the battery till this thread. So, more than two months ago it went in and still today going strong. I've made it through the 'one month till dead battery' issue, so I guess we'll see.

Yes, I was writing primarily to 'meatofman24' having the issue with his sight not holding zero. I agree with you on the battery issue. See his post in msg #116 above.

As an aside, I have a Wasp I've never mounted but did install the battery on 12/26/21 due to this very thread. As of today, 3/1/22, a full two months, it's still going strong. But mine was bought from Springfield Armory well over a year ago, just had not installed the battery till this thread. So, more than two months ago it went in and still today going strong. I've made it through the 'one month till dead battery' issue, so I guess we'll see.
Glad brother you still have your dot. I don't..lol hopefully when they send me a new one. It'll be better. We will see like you said.

With all due respect, a problem with it not holding zero is likely not a problem common to the sight. Not holding zero can be a any of several issues, especially loose mounting screws or insufficient torque on the mount screws.

I'd suggest you double checking the mount system for tightness/security before condemning the sight itself. A 'really competent gun smith' can usually 'feel' an appropriate torque on a mount screw, at least close enough to keep it tight. The rest of us usually need a little help in the way of a good torque sensing screw driver or a 'really competent gun smith'. (y) (y)(y)
Yeah I torqued it to spec with a digital torque wrench and tried re mounting it. Also having the battery drain issue. Seems to me that the wasp is just a dud all together. Tempted to put a holosun on at this point.

Yeah I torqued it to spec with a digital torque wrench and tried re mounting it. Also having the battery drain issue. Seems to me that the wasp is just a dud all together. Tempted to put a holosun on at this point.
brother, just call Springfield, get it changed out. we got duds. mine is the unit. not the battery. after 3 batteries in 3 months. it's the unit. my unit is on its way back tomorrow. now I have to wait 30 days to get a new one.

Meatofman24 (and that's one hell of a screen name) LOL! LOL!

The big negative issue with the Holosun is that you won't have 100% co-witness. That's a much more important issue with a CCW handgun than with a rifle. I've heard the Holosun 407K will do 100%, but you'd need to check to be sure. The 507 will definitely not provide for 100%, so beware.

The Wasp, the SMCc (my personal choice), and the JPoint, will work well out of the box, and maybe one/two others will work well to provide for 100% co-witness with appropriate mods but I don't want to modify my gun. I don't mean by simply adding a sight, I'm referring to grinding off locating posts, etc, just to add something not intended for it. I've also read the Trijicon will work with some mods to your gun slide and the appropriate mounting plate.

If you've not seen the actual difference between the 100% and the lower 30% co-witness, be sure to look into the difference before you buy. Odds are you'll be disappointed if you don't. (y)(y)(y)

The big negative issue with the Holosun is that you won't have 100% co-witness. That's a much more important issue with a CCW handgun than with a rifle. I've heard the Holosun 407K will do 100%, but you'd need to check to be sure. The 507 will definitely not provide for 100%, so beware.

The Wasp, the SMCc (my ersonal choice), and the JPoint, will work well out of the box, and maybe one/two others will work well to provide for 100% co-witness with appropriate mods but I don't want to modify my gun. I don't mean by simply adding a sight, I'm referring to grinding, etc just to add something not intended for it. I've also read the Trijicon will work with some mods to your gun slide and the appropriate mounting plate.

If you've not seen the actual difference between the 100% and the lower 30% co-witness, be sure to look into the difference before you buy. Odds are you'll be disappointed if you don't. (y)(y)(y)
I agree with the co witness 100%

The Wasp, the SMCc (my personal choice), and the JPoint, will work well out of the box, and maybe one/two others will work well to provide for 100% co-witness with appropriate mods but I don't want to modify my gun. I don't mean by simply adding a sight, I'm referring to grinding off locating posts, etc, just to add something not intended for it. I've also read the Trijicon will work with some mods to your gun slide and the appropriate mounting plate.

I didn't think of that thanks for the tip. I've decided to take my chance on another wasp because it looks so good on the rdp. If I get another lemon the shield looks promising. The co witness is definitely important to me

Let's hope you get a good one this time. There are several that all look pretty much the same installed, and as you I like the looks of the Wasp, but also like the Shield SMSc. The Shield is some amount more costly than the Wasp, but the Wasp was not available when I bought the Shield so I paid the extra. However, I've not regretted it at all ..... I really liked the Shield after I mounted/sighted it in.

As I mentioned, I ordered a WASP when they became available just in case the Shield died on me. If that had happened and I had the Wasp on hand I wouldn't have to spend the extra money for another Shield. So far, it's been flawless and for me it looks every bit as good as the Wasp. (y)(y)(y)

Oh yeh, and provides the 100% co-witness after mounted and requires absolutely no modifications to the gun nor additional mounting plates.

I didn't think of that thanks for the tip. I've decided to take my chance on another wasp because it looks so good on the rdp. If I get another lemon the shield looks promising. The co witness is definitely important to me
I understand. I will probably do the same if i get another l lemon as well. I love springfield, but if you don't fix the situation i will also do the same.

If you don't use a plate, but instead grind off the rear lugs and grind down the front lugs about .010, both the 507K and 407K will cowitness. I understand not everyone wants to modify their gun like that. I would prefer not to as well. The upside is that it does not affect going back and installing any sight using the Shield RMSc footprint later on. For me it came down to a Holosun or the Wasp. In hindsight I think I made a bad decision by choosing the Wasp.

If you don't use a plate, but instead grind off the rear lugs and grind down the front lugs about .010, both the 507K and 407K will cowitness. I understand not everyone wants to modify their gun like that. I would prefer not to as well. The upside is that it does not affect going back and installing any sight using the Shield RMSc footprint later on. For me it came down to a Holosun or the Wasp. In hindsight I think I made a bad decision by choosing the Wasp.
jimmy, I'm under the impression that even with grinding down the locator pins, the 507 would still only provide 'lower 30% co-witness. Again, I'm not certain about the 407, but have heard it will/may provide 100%. Please check it out for yourself. It's not the mods to the slide I'm particularly concerned about, it's the issue of modding my gun and still not having what I want .... the 100% co-witness. It does make a big difference.

I can't speak for anyone but me but, the 30% co-witness on a handgun is total nonsense for me. On a long gun it's acceptable and in some limited cases even preferable. But the issue on a long gun is addressable by simply tipping the head a little, with the handgun it just ain't so !!!

Somebody said it all much better a few threads ago when he said "caveat emptor"!!!! (y)(y)(y)

The co-witness from a milled hellcat slide with the 507k isn't too bad. You can see 70-80% of the front sight. FWIW check out these reddit posts and youtube of the co-witness and see if it's something you could live with. If you don't want to mill you could change to suppressor height sights and use an adapter plate for 100% Co-witness.

***milled slide stock sights***

***unmilled slide adapter plate suppressor night sights***

Where is Springfield on this issue. Why do we not hear from them?
I would be more sympathetic to the issue if they would interact a bit with us on this forum.
I have been a staunch supporter of Springfield in the past...but have lost my confidence in their service support and quality control.
Springfield doesn’t make the Hex Wasp! They buy them from the manufacturer to ship with Springfield guns. I’m sure they are just as “if not more frustrated” then customers are.

In the latest Springfield Armory magazine they have an article on another handgun they are shipping with a red dot, this time it’s a Crimson Trace.

The wasp is made in china. To springfield specs. The issue that many are having is the unit. I've gone through 3 batteries already in 3 months. Look at your wasp. It says wade in china. But i don't care who makes it. Just get the wasp fixed. They read the threads I'm sure. And if everyone is sending back there wasp, they should address the issue.

The wasp is made in china. To springfield specs. The issue that many are having is the unit. I've gone through 3 batteries already in 3 months. Look at your wasp. It says wade in china. But i don't care who makes it. Just get the wasp ****int fixed. They read the threads I'm sure. And if everyone is sending back there wasp, they should address the issue.
Plenty of good optics are made in China to manufacturer specs. Romeo 5 and Holosun 507 and 510C come to mind.

Back