testtest

Hex Wasp - Anyone’s randomly stop working?

Lchtus

Master Class
I know I can google-smart this more, but as I am doing that I thought I would post to our amazing forum.

Purchased RDP…all good, wasp seems to be ok. Not the best but love the co witness and metal/design. Certainly works well. Went in the safe for a month + as I been busy. Took it out today and it is dead.

I thought “well it was perfect 0 so maybe the battery was just old.” Three battery swaps later…nothing. Blew around contacts, tried batteries..nothing.

I emailed support. I am guessing this somehow died on me. Hope that lifetime thing is true.

Any other reports out there?

Oh crap. I just got a new Hellcat RDP pistol, installed the Wasp, looked fine, lined it up with the front sight and left the gun out for fiddlin.. An hour later, it was out, Then it reappeared a few times and finally went out for good.
Like you I tried 2 other new batteries, it's dead as a door nail. I just emailed them.
I guess there are a few lemons out here.
I hope they fix me up soon. I never had a pistol with a red dot on it, now I still don't. $300 sights should last at least a month.

Oh crap. I just got a new Hellcat RDP pistol, installed the Wasp, looked fine, lined it up with the front sight and left the gun out for fiddlin.. An hour later, it was out, Then it reappeared a few times and finally went out for good.
Like you I tried 2 other new batteries, it's dead as a door nail. I just emailed them.
I guess there are a few lemons out here.
I hope they fix me up soon. I never had a pistol with a red dot on it, now I still don't. $300 sights should last at least a month.

they were quick to replace for what that is worth. 2-3 weeks tops. Hey sent a brand new one in wasp box actually. Honestly debating what to do with it. I have a holo I been using for a while now.
The profile and fit is awesome of the wasp but will see. At least there is a lifetime guarantee!

Hey sent a brand new one in wasp box actually
I like how they look and the small dot should help me hit stuff out at the range. If it was for CC I would probably just use the sights. Attackers are generally so close you can smell em. But I wantz muh red dot!

Not believing the thing broke without ever firing a shot, I got it back out of the box and installed the battery it came with. Surprise! The dot is back! :cool:
The way it flashed a few times then finally died made me think it had something to do with the battery or its contacts in the sight base. Some how or other, it just wasn't in there right. (I hope)
To make sure it is held snugly in contact I put a small square of very thin tape (about .0015) on the underside to shim it tighter and to isolate the plus side from the slide (if that matters.)
So far it has been working for about 90 minutes. The alignment I did yesterday is still good with the re-mounting so I am impressed with its precision in that regard. Every battery change will be that much easier.
If it dies again I'll update the thread but for now I'm all happy so I'll just sit here and be happy about it.
Thanks for having a place for me to vent.

If you guys have a gun with a wasp handy, take a look at the port where the laser beam comes from.
Is it an open notch where you can see the laser emitter down in there, or is it just a pinhole or tiny window?
Mine is a squarish open port maybe 5 mm square, I can see a red wire in there, too.
It was beginning to rain yesterday and it is possible water could have made its way in there on mine.
I looked at all the pictures I can find online and none of them show this port, so I thought I'd ask someone.

My Wasp, bought on 10-22-21, killed the battery in less than 4 weeks. The new battery just died again. Less than 3 weeks use. I emailed SA three times...not answering calls that I have made. Will try to call again on Monday.

If you guys have a gun with a wasp handy, take a look at the port where the laser beam comes from.
Is it an open notch where you can see the laser emitter down in there, or is it just a pinhole or tiny window?
Mine is a squarish open port maybe 5 mm square, I can see a red wire in there, too.
It was beginning to rain yesterday and it is possible water could have made its way in there on mine.
I looked at all the pictures I can find online and none of them show this port, so I thought I'd ask someone.
Just looking back over this old thread, I just realized the Wasp I bought several months ago has the little square hole where the emitter shines through with lots of clearance instead of a small hole. I'm not up on my metric sizing, so I can't say just how big in mm's it is, but I'd say it's about 3/32 sq" in real American measuring.

I can see both a tiny red and a black wire down inside that opening. I've not mounted it, it's still in the original box just as it came to me when I ordered it. I did put the battery in it long enough to see the red dot as it's projected and compare it to the Shield SMSc dot I already had on my Hellcat.

From the looks of that square hole, I'm pretty sure it would/could allow water to enter through that little square hole in a good rain. So, now that I know about it, I'm leery of it. Should I contact SA and tell them my story and my concern, or since I've had it this long should I just suck it up and hope for the best? (y)(y)(y)

I purchased my RDP on 11/26 and installed the optic myself. Just looked today (12/29) to see that my red dot is dead (was working fine yesterday). Like you I saw that the supposed life is 2 years so I am surprised. I will be contacting Springfield tomorrow to see what they say.

Sun, Jan 2nd and mine still going strong battery wise .... although I'm still concerned about that little square opening where I can see the little, tiny wires. I'm still concerned water can/will get down into it.

Nobody knows for sure or has any opinions? "Help wanted" !

I purchased the HellcatRDP back on November 1. Installed the Hex and on December 1 the dot dimmed and could hardly be seen. I called SA and they said to replace the battery so I did. Happy New Year...it died on New Year's Eve. So I have installed two new batteries and both have lasted exactly 1 month. 3rd one (and last one) going in today. If this one goes out before June I am sending the Hex back for a replacement.

Back