testtest

How to clean a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
High capacity? For a Benelli that's what, 7?

I'm looking at one of the rotating tube mag 16 round guns. SRM or Tavor.
It was one with a aftermarket mag that was as long as the barrel. I think it was 9, it was a few years ago. Jersey legal semi auto is I believe no more than 5. I wanted to do 3 gun competition. Not familiar with the SRM, but the Tavor is nice.

Um...

How dirty do you guys let your guns GET? I have never had to "dissolve" anything off my guns...even dad's '51 revolver that sat neglected for 30 years.

I shoot.

I come home and field strip the XDs.

I use a bore brush with Hoppe's for the barrel. Toothbrush for under the slide, on the frame, and to clean the slide rails as well as the inside of the slide itself. Nothing on the recoil spring. Nothing on the firing pin area. Rag through the mag well. Polish the feed ramp (bore brush, toothbrush, whatever it needs to come clean and shiny).

Remove excess fluid - no drips, but no dry spots either.

Rag that's damp with Hoppe's to wipe the slide and the barrel before reassembly. Again, nothing dripping but nothing dry. Needle-apply one drop of Hoppe's to each of the slide rails on the frame, and to the leading edge of the rails in the slide itself. Reassemble, and rack the slide a few times. Disassemble to check for excess on the slide rails...load 'er up and back in the EDC holster.

Maybe I "over-clean" in that it gets this treatment any time it gets fired, whether 50 rounds or 500 rounds...?

Um...

How dirty do you guys let your guns GET? I have never had to "dissolve" anything off my guns...even dad's '51 revolver that sat neglected for 30 years.

I shoot.

I come home and field strip the XDs.

I use a bore brush with Hoppe's for the barrel. Toothbrush for under the slide, on the frame, and to clean the slide rails as well as the inside of the slide itself. Nothing on the recoil spring. Nothing on the firing pin area. Rag through the mag well. Polish the feed ramp (bore brush, toothbrush, whatever it needs to come clean and shiny).

Remove excess fluid - no drips, but no dry spots either.

Rag that's damp with Hoppe's to wipe the slide and the barrel before reassembly. Again, nothing dripping but nothing dry. Needle-apply one drop of Hoppe's to each of the slide rails on the frame, and to the leading edge of the rails in the slide itself. Reassemble, and rack the slide a few times. Disassemble to check for excess on the slide rails...load 'er up and back in the EDC holster.

Maybe I "over-clean" in that it gets this treatment any time it gets fired, whether 50 rounds or 500 rounds...?

If you listen to the serious bullseye shooters, they say cleaning after every time you shoot it is bad...they’ll only clean when issues arise (aside from wiping off the exterior, of course). Given, these are often specialized guns, but...

I tend to clean every 500-1000 rounds, depending.

As far as caked...I recently put about 1000 rounds through my Z5RS, about half of them supressed, mainly to see if it would fail (it didn’t). If you want to talk about caked on crud..it ended up getting detail stripped and put in my buddy's parts washer for a few hours. Came out looking like new...

If you listen to the serious bullseye shooters, they say cleaning after every time you shoot it is bad...they’ll only clean when issues arise (aside from wiping off the exterior, of course). Given, these are often specialized guns, but...

I tend to clean every 500-1000 rounds, depending.

As far as caked...I recently put about 1000 rounds through my Z5RS, about half of them supressed, mainly to see if it would fail (it didn’t). If you want to talk about caked on crud..it ended up getting detail stripped and put in my buddy's parts washer for a few hours. Came out looking like new...

I do not subscribe to this theory. Not that I’m a serious bullseye shooter. Cleaning every time you shoot may not be necessary but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make you shoot less accurately.

I do not subscribe to this theory. Not that I’m a serious bullseye shooter. Cleaning every time you shoot may not be necessary but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make you shoot less accurately.

They say it does, actually...to the point that a clean gun needs to “shoot in” a few rounds before they'll compete with it.

Long range rifle shooters (and benchrest) will also say a clean bore won't shoot as accurately as a barrel with a few “fowling” shots through it.

They say it does, actually...to the point that a clean gun needs to “shoot in” a few rounds before they'll compete with it.

Long range rifle shooters (and benchrest) will also say a clean bore won't shoot as accurately as a barrel with a few “fowling” shots through it.
That first cold bore shot is always a nail bitter!

I would think the temperature of the barrel could have an effect, but I think the laws of physics pretty much negate the argument that a dirty gun shoots more accurately. Old wives tale I say.

I would think the temperature of the barrel could have an effect, but I think the laws of physics pretty much negate the argument that a dirty gun shoots more accurately. Old wives tale I say.

No offense, but I know one of the guys who says this is on one of our military’s competitive pistol teams...these guys shoot thousands (tens of thousands, possibly) of rounds a year, and know how to wring every last bit of accuracy out of their pistols.

They very much know what they are talking about.

No offense, but I know one of the guys who says this is on one of our military’s competitive pistol teams...these guys shoot thousands (tens of thousands, possibly) of rounds a year, and know how to wring every last bit of accuracy out of their pistols.

They very much know what they are talking about.

I just read that it’s because a clean barrel will shoot to a different point of impact. It’s not that a dirty barrel is more accurate, it’s that a clean barrel will change the POI after a couple shots.
This explanation makes sense. I would still clean my weapon and fire a few shots before competing though.

I just read that it’s because a clean barrel will shoot to a different point of impact. It’s not that a dirty barrel is more accurate, it’s that a clean barrel will change the POI after a couple shots.
This explanation makes sense. I would still clean my weapon and fire a few shots before competing though.

Yes...but it also doesn’t degrade accuracy, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back