testtest

How to identify venison cuts of meat

And it looks like maybe you're cooking on a Weber this time. One of the better choices in gas grills in my opinion.
I’ve got a 14 year old Genesis that I’ve replaced the burners once, and the “flavorizers” a couple of times. The stainless grill bars are the only way to go.

Works as good as the day I got it…
Yes sir
Weber Genesis I bought in 2005 and direct plumbed to my natural gas line.
Needs some new “flavorizers” above the burners, but otherwise runs like a champ still

Javbike, you got a heck of a deal (free stuff). Just the charcoal chimney itself was worth your trip to pick ti up. But please, throw away that damn fine wire brush. These brushes, popular as they are, are dangerous in my opinion. And more so as they age. Those tiny wires will sometimes break off during use and stick to your grill .... unseen. Then during a cook are very susceptible to being picked up on a piece of meat without anyone recognizing it.

Now in most cases. the wires are small enough that they likely won't even be felt in one's mouth, or if they are felt it's just thought to be a hard piece of the product. But, in a worse case scenario, that tiny wire can, AND HAS been known to lodge deep in the throat causing much infection, or worse yet travel down into the esophagus and at some point penetrate it and actually move on into one's heart or lungs. Yes, I'm painting the worst picture ever, but I'm painting it from experience. A close friend ended up with throat surgery to remove a wire that literally took weeks of agony for him before it was finally found.

Use a grill stone, or my favorite, an industrial wire brush with long, heavy wires. Much like a brush you would use to remove old paint, etc. And here's a little tip ..... when you're done with your grill, let it cool and put it away. DO NOT clean it at this point. Then next time you're to use it, start it up, get it rocket hot, then clean the grill. All the old food remaining will turn to black char and literally crack and fall off the grate with minimal rubbing with anything more than a clean kitchen rag dampened with a little cooking oil. Just fold the rag over a few times and dip it into a small bowl of oil. You'll be cleaning and oiling the grill grates at the same time, doing a much better job than cleaning right after a cook, and you'll be assured that no roaches, ants, mice or any other creature has been playing on the grates since you put it away without being cleaned. You'll know the grate is clean since they're cleaned right before you start your new cook.

Anyway, take advantage of that new grill, and know there are a few accessories available that will make that things as versatile as you can imagine. Weber Kettles are still Webers !!! (y) (y)(y)
I scrape my grill after cooking if material left over. Rats get up in the cold grill and eat the scraps left on the grates. Rat poop found in the empty grease tray told me that.
I wont scrape until next use after it heats up if its just minimal residue on the grates.

Learned that one after killing many rats

Javbike, you got a heck of a deal (free stuff). Just the charcoal chimney itself was worth your trip to pick ti up. But please, throw away that damn fine wire brush. These brushes, popular as they are, are dangerous in my opinion. And more so as they age. Those tiny wires will sometimes break off during use and stick to your grill .... unseen. Then during a cook are very susceptible to being picked up on a piece of meat without anyone recognizing it.

Now in most cases. the wires are small enough that they likely won't even be felt in one's mouth, or if they are felt it's just thought to be a hard piece of the product. But, in a worse case scenario, that tiny wire can, AND HAS been known to lodge deep in the throat causing much infection, or worse yet travel down into the esophagus and at some point penetrate it and actually move on into one's heart or lungs. Yes, I'm painting the worst picture ever, but I'm painting it from experience. A close friend ended up with throat surgery to remove a wire that literally took weeks of agony for him before it was finally found.

Use a grill stone, or my favorite, an industrial wire brush with long, heavy wires. Much like a brush you would use to remove old paint, etc. And here's a little tip ..... when you're done with your grill, let it cool and put it away. DO NOT clean it at this point. Then next time you're to use it, start it up, get it rocket hot, then clean the grill. All the old food remaining will turn to black char and literally crack and fall off the grate with minimal rubbing with anything more than a clean kitchen rag dampened with a little cooking oil. Just fold the rag over a few times and dip it into a small bowl of oil. You'll be cleaning and oiling the grill grates at the same time, doing a much better job than cleaning right after a cook, and you'll be assured that no roaches, ants, mice or any other creature has been playing on the grates since you put it away without being cleaned. You'll know the grate is clean since they're cleaned right before you start your new cook.

Anyway, take advantage of that new grill, and know there are a few accessories available that will make that things as versatile as you can imagine. Weber Kettles are still Webers !!! (y) (y)(y)
JJ does Weber make a grill stone ?

JJ does Weber make a grill stone ?
javbike, I'm not absolutely certain off the top of my head, but I would think so. But it doesn't have to be 'Weber' brand. Any good brand of stone will do fine. Most grill grates are standard spacing and common one to another, so most any stone will work fine.

The cedar plank Hans mentioned (I see you ordered one (y)) is another great choice and will get 95+% of any charred **** and grime off the grates, then just a quick wipe with a stone for maybe some really hard to get stuff. The key is to let it really burn to black before you start to clean. And a good oil down after cleaning and before starting the new cook.

But once really clean, a good wipe down with most anything after letting all the old food product burn really crisp is about all it takes on a regular basis. Then maybe once every 4-5-or 6 cooks you can take the plank and stone to it again, or whenever needed. Just throw away that damned wire brush !!!

Much like our guns .......... we don't always do a complete tear down and deep cleaning each time we shoot them. Just a good 'once over, then a good tear down after ?-?- or ? shoots.

1- Cooking up our maple syrup based glaze for ribs and injection for butts (I most always use a glaze on ribs, but never use a BBQ sauce unless someone asks for it)
2- typical setup for holiday cooks .... my personal smoker/cooker (80mgal air compressor tank)
3- got a good stick fire going
4- shaking out a little dry spice rub on some nice ribs
5- finished product
6- called 'country style ribs' .... actually sliced pork butt (boneless and oh, so, good!)
7- butts prepped and about to go on the smoker
8- butts just about ready to come off
9- just the right temp for a good cook
10- hand made sausage cookers

I love it!!!

View attachment 24602View attachment 24603

View attachment 24604View attachment 24606View attachment 24607View attachment 24608View attachment 24609View attachment 24610
If that's all venison cuts, all I can say is GOOD WORK DUDE!

Last nights dinner
Venison backstrap
My last one left 😩😩
A9E15432-304E-4FF8-9C14-1CA806F87761.jpeg

If that's all venison cuts, all I can say is GOOD WORK DUDE!
Well thanks for the good words, but that day was all pork. The loin back (baby back) ribs and the 'country style' ribs were done at my dad's house for a 4th of July shindig IIRC. The couple of really nice Boston Butts, about 6-7lbs were done along with the close up of the thermometer at another cook, but I don't remember exactly where. The shot of the sausage cookers were a gift I made for a friend whose home was where we were doing a big cook that day (about 60 folks IIRC) just for the hell of it. No holiday as I recall, just a big group get-together with our airboats and 4x4's.

He owns several hundred acres in the woods with a couple spring fed lakes. We had built ourselves a semi-sorta camp ground for our motor homes and campers down by one of his lakes. We brought in power from the nearest road, put in about 8-10 camper plug-ins, and built a big pole barn with several nice picnic type tables.

A smaller group of us (about 5-6 couples) would often camp at this place and swim, ski, airboat, go 4x4'n, etc for most holidays. Lots of fireworks were sent out over the lakes at night. Always a big cook, usually a BBQ, sometimes a fish fry, etc.

Some of us would always bring our mandolins, guitars, harps, etc and sit around a big campfire and play most all night with a touch of adult beverage .... if you know what I mean. Occasionally just a big get-together for no apparent reason except good company, good food, sorta good music, and lots of good times.

Damn, I really those times !!!

Well thanks for the good words, but that day was all pork. The loin back (baby back) ribs and the 'country style' ribs were done at my dad's house for a 4th of July shindig IIRC. The couple of really nice Boston Butts, about 6-7lbs were done along with the close up of the thermometer at another cook, but I don't remember exactly where. The shot of the sausage cookers were a gift I made for a friend whose home was where we were doing a big cook that day (about 60 folks IIRC) just for the hell of it. No holiday as I recall, just a big group get-together with our airboats and 4x4's.

He owns several hundred acres in the woods with a couple spring fed lakes. We had built ourselves a semi-sorta camp ground for our motor homes and campers down by one of his lakes. We brought in power from the nearest road, put in about 8-10 camper plug-ins, and built a big pole barn with several nice picnic type tables.

A smaller group of us (about 5-6 couples) would often camp at this place and swim, ski, airboat, go 4x4'n, etc for most holidays. Lots of fireworks were sent out over the lakes at night. Always a big cook, usually a BBQ, sometimes a fish fry, etc.

Some of us would always bring our mandolins, guitars, harps, etc and sit around a big campfire and play most all night with a touch of adult beverage .... if you know what I mean. Occasionally just a big get-together for no apparent reason except good company, good food, sorta good music, and lots of good times.

👆
Thats heaven🤩🤩🤩

Looks beautifully delicious none the less! truly a feast fit for a King, and it definitely sounds like good ol times!

Looks beautifully delicious none the less! truly a feast fit for a King, and it definitely sounds like good ol times!
Right on ..... and on ...... and on ........ !!! :) I truly love Q'ing whenever the opportunity presents itself. But alas, we've all gotten old to the point it's hard to get out of bed on a normal morning, much less stay up all night doing a 23+ pound packer brisket, then protecting it while it rests, then get it ready to serve along with all the trimmings for a really fine hoe-down !!! And then all the cleaning up afterwards.

And BTW Cowboy, I have done literally dozens of cooks out at my old hunting camp using up the venison ribs that not many wanted to take the time to trim and pack for freezing. Usually about every 3 weeks we'd have enough ribs to feed the entire camp. That was a typical Saturday night supper while in camp during the season.

Back