testtest

I called the Witch Doctor......

Glass: look at a Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS, or a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle.

Ammo—what’s your barrel’s twist rate? That’ll determine which weights might be the better performers...but you won’t go wrong with 55gr FMJBT (aka M193). .50/rd seeks to be a good price currently.
I agree with Hans on the optic. A love my 1-6 on my Edge. Need to get another one for my DD.

I am thinking about a 1-8 next time. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-8x-rifle-scope-illuminated-acss-reticle

Every range around here allows them. Green tips dont do anything . Its ‘black tip’ armor piercing that are not allowed. Green tips are “penetrators” which every range here inspects my ammo, sees green tips and hands them back
The two rental ranges in my area actually put a magnet to any small caliber rifle rounds you bring in. I've also belonged to a club that wouldn't allow green tip ammo.

Below is a link for the rules to one of the 2 rental ranges In my area.

It was explained to me (not my thoughts) at one of the local ranges and also at the range I belonged to in Massachusetts that the steel core ammo can cause more damage to range equipment and has a higher possibility of ricocheting.

Last edited:
I belong to a private range that's pretty ok with whatever I do. 90% of the time I'm all alone.
Nothing better then having the whole range to yourself! I was at a buddies range yesterday shooting 6.5 Creedmoor at steel targets for 2-1/2hrs and the place was deserted it was awesome!!! 😁👍
20200803_195327.jpg

The two rental ranges in my area actually put a magnet to any small caliber rifle rounds you bring in. I've also belonged to a club that wouldn't allow green tip ammo.

Below is a link for the rules to one of the 2 rental ranges In my area.

It was explained to me (not my thoughts) at one of the local ranges and also at the range I belonged to in Massachusetts that the steel core ammo can cause more damage to range equipment and has a higher possibility of ricocheting.
Depends on range i guess
Almost all the ones around me allow up to .308 to be fired indoor . One is now .50 cal sniper. Indoor. Guess the new tech for backing lives up to higher caliber

Ok, so I've been hem hawing around about buying my first AR for about 100 years now and I finally went and did it. Obviously I am a dumbass since I decided to do this during the current dempanic firearm shortage, but hey, it is what it is.

I looked around for about a week. Almost pulled the trigger on a 7.5" pistol by Stag Arms and then almost went 1000 degrees the other way and bought one from Giesele for over 2k. In the end, having heard from friends about the parts they manufacture I dropped 8 beans on a AA Voodoo Innovations Witch Doctor. Here's hoping I didn't screw myself, but I figure for $800 I could have done worse. I mean it isn't like I bought a Radical Arms or anything. I will give my thoughts on this rifle after I receive it and have a chance to shoot it. Not that it will mean anything since I have shot an AR exactly one time in my life.

Crap I foresee buying for this thing in the very near future:

Obviously I will need an optic. I really like my Romeo 5 on my shotgun, but for this rifle I'm thinking something with a little magnification is in order. It has a split rail on it and I don't really like the idea of a red dot and a magnifier anyway so I am thinking an all in one unit. Let's call the budget $300 give or take $100.

I'm going to want a handguard or a vert grip and I am already familiar with ( and actually have an extra) Magpul VRG. Open to thoughts on this.

Sling. I have a BFG Vickers on my KSG and it is super cool and neato. I assume a 2 point is in order if I wish to not be blasting myself in the nads repeatedly. Is this sling a good choice? Any other recommendations?

At some point in the not too horribly distant future I see myself being a trigger dork here and will likely opt for a Giesele trigger. Probably not binary. Also open to suggestions here.

Anyways, wish me luck and if anyone wants to hip me to what brand and weight of ammo I should be looking at and maybe where I can get it at an only slightly insane price by the case ( 1000 rds. - ish ) I would certainly be appreciative.
Bottom line:

have fun !!!!

its a tinker toy... you could change everything about that rifle, change your mind, change it, and then change it again !!!
Enjoy your new rifle !!’ Make it your own and if you decide on another direction, you can go do that too !!

welcome to the bottomless pit club !!!

So if a guy is stocking up on mags for these, am I correct in assuming USGI aluminum mags with green followers would be an excellent choice?
Here is a link to gun mag warehouse who is offering 10 gen 2 pmags for $104.00.

@Bassbob have you range tested the new gun yet?

It hasn't shipped yet. It's " Being prepared for shipping" so I am assuming it will come in this coming week.

Still, once I get it I will need an optic or at least some BUIS. And ammo. Which so far everything I can find is about a buck a round. Hell, places are selling 50 round boxes of regular 9mm ball ammo for $50. What should be a $5 box of 12 gauge field loads is like $11.

Anyway, I won't be doing a lot of range testing at a buck a round.

It hasn't shipped yet. It's " Being prepared for shipping" so I am assuming it will come in this coming week.

Still, once I get it I will need an optic or at least some BUIS. And ammo. Which so far everything I can find is about a buck a round. Hell, places are selling 50 round boxes of regular 9mm ball ammo for $50. What should be a $5 box of 12 gauge field loads is like $11.

Ammo prices are out of control currently. I picked up some cheap .223 Tula steel recently at bass pro just to run through one of my guns and so I don't dip into the brass I have on hand. The Tula steel was like $27 for 100 rounds and it ran fine.

It has the option to switch to a larger moa illuminated round reticle.

I was looking at a couple of other optics. The Burris AR332 and the Leupold Freedom RDS.

I have and like the Romeo5 on a different gun, though I don't think I would opt for the AA battery version with changeable reticle. I'd like to be able to shoot 200 yards, but I also am planning on primarily using this as a HD weapon so I don't really want a scope. I don't really want a magnifier either I don't think. Hence the attraction to the Burris, which is 3x, but then you have eye relief to deal with. I probably should quit overthinking and agonizing and just put a Romeo on it.

I was looking at a couple of other optics. The Burris AR332 and the Leupold Freedom RDS.

I have and like the Romeo5 on a different gun, though I don't think I would opt for the AA battery version with changeable reticle. I'd like to be able to shoot 200 yards, but I also am planning on primarily using this as a HD weapon so I don't really want a scope. I don't really want a magnifier either I don't think. Hence the attraction to the Burris, which is 3x, but then you have eye relief to deal with. I probably should quit overthinking and agonizing and just put a Romeo on it.
That's the beauty of the AR platform if you don't like something you can change it.

I have a Sig whiskey scope on one of my ARs for shooting out to 300yds and it's great. I use different RDS sights on other rifles to have variety of use. I also keep mbuis sights on my guns so I can co witness.

Wow.

Can still get M193 here for .50/rd...

What features does the XDR have that the regular Romeo5 doesn't have?
Sorry for the delay sir, was out of cell reception range most of the weekend. What Bassbob said sums it up. The Romeo 5XDR has the option to switch from a regular red dot to pretty much an exact replica of the Eotech illuminated round reticle. The Sig reticle is much crisper and much easier to see than the Eotech, at least to me. I have astigmatisms in both eyes so the Eotech reticle is very fuzzy and ill defined when I look thru it. I had two Eotech HWS and ended up selling them both once I got my Sig setup installed. The image is very crisp and the magnifier makes it even larger and crisper. I've honestly never had an optics set up I've been able to shoot this well with on a rifle.

Well as much as I hated doing it Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore popped up with some Federal 62gr green tip. $619/1000rds ( .60/rd.) Which I was not prepared to pay. Luckily they also had 475rds for $329 (.69/rd.) so I bought it. Damn that's expensive. Still in stock right now if anyone else is interested.
When Walmart was clearing out their 5.56 ammo I bought a ton of the 200 round Winchester brass for $49 a box. I ended up with a few thousand rounds for next to nothing prices.

Damn I wish I could get more for that price.

I also bought up all their .300blk at that time for a heavy discount.

So I will be taking it to the range Sunday. I got some 62 gr. Green tip and put a Romeo 5 on it for now. I am assuming that like most guns it is packed from the factory with grease and I should clean it before I shoot it correct ?

It's much smaller than I thought it would be. Kinda scratched my burning itch for an AR pistol. For the time being anyway. Seems like a quality piece to me, but admittedly I know little about them. I need to check and see if the castle nut is staked. Is this something I can do easily I assume ? It came with an Amend 2 30 rd. magazine and after some Googling I decided they were probably fairly ok and got a killer deal on them ( $7/ea.) so I bought 10. I also have 10 P Mags in route and my buddy is sending me some USGI mags and some IWI mags. Anyone have experience with the Amend 2 mags?

Anyway, here is a couple pics and I threw in a pic of my new VP9 to boot. I'll check back in after Sunday when I sight the Romeo in and give my impressions.

jegFIuq.jpg

K5x9rUV.jpg

SExbzXL.jpg

djmvhVq.jpg

sMNA83x.jpg

Back