testtest

I done did it.....

I too wrestled with the scope eye relief question (pre purchase) and couldn't come up with an answer that suited me. Accepting defeat I switched horses and settled on a walnut stock standard to which I have added a 4.5-18 scope. Hope you find a good solution that suits your shooting requirements.

If need be get a cantalever mount 0moa base and it moves the scope closer. I've seen people mount a 20moa mount backwards thinking they had mounted it correctly (gave them 20moa less). It angled the base up toward the muzzle instead of down.

SA is like an hour and a half drive, depending on the traffic in San Marcos. I wouldn't mind making that drive once in awhile, but not as frequent as i'd like to shoot. I know there is a range in Lockhart but i'm unsure of how far the rifle lanes go. Copperhead Creek in Marble Falls is where I like to go. They have a 600 yard range but you need to qualify first before being able to shoot it.

Yeah definitely let me know where your son went, but most likely it was on private land if he had any real distance to shoot. Most around here seem to do their shooting on private land. Need to find me some friends with property.

I shoot well at 100 with irons and an RDS. I'm ready to start pushing out a bit further I think.
He told me it was an indoor range in New Braunfels or he though it was in New Braunfels? He also called a 30-06 a 30 double 00 6 :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

He told me it was an indoor range in New Braunfels or he though it was in New Braunfels? He also called a 30-06 a 30 double 00 6 :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
New Braunfels is slightly closer than SA... lol. I suppose I should just take it out and shoot the irons anyways. I'll deal with mounting a scope later. Seems like it may be difficult to find the right optic/eye relief.

Also, My issue is if I move the scope closer with a cantilever mount, will it interfere with the bolt/ejection port since it's top mounted...

Last edited:
To piggyback on my own statement. I found a Vortex Scout scope. 2-7x 2FP V-Plex with very long eye relief. Has good reviews by a number of reputable websites/reviewers. And it's pretty inexpensive. Ordered it. Worst case I can return the scope and rings. Will keep yas posted.

New Braunfels is slightly closer than SA... lol. I suppose I should just take it out and shoot the irons anyways. I'll deal with mounting a scope later. Seems like it may be difficult to find the right optic/eye relief.

Also, My issue is if I move the scope closer with a cantilever mount, will it interfere with the bolt/ejection port since it's top mounted...
Best scope mounts for the M1A: Sadlak

Over the top of the ejection port mount

Here it is on my m1a :

05FD5FE5-699D-4A6A-9242-F127FD200241.jpeg

Best scope mounts for the M1A: Sadlak

Over the top of the ejection port mount

Here it is on my m1a :

View attachment 20752

I could go that route, but part of the appeal of the Scout was that is has a rail already factory installed. Trying to utilize that rail, it's just forward of the action so need a Scout type scope to accommodate that distance.

Read some interesting articles about Soft Points and these M1A rifles. Many advising not to shoot soft points. Anyone have any bad experiences with this? I have about 120 rds of soft points i'd like to eventually get rid of.

Read some interesting articles about Soft Points and these M1A rifles. Many advising not to shoot soft points. Anyone have any bad experiences with this? I have about 120 rds of soft points i'd like to eventually get rid of.
Never heard of that. I have no issues with Rem or Win brand .308 soft.

My M1A did not shoot Lake City M118 175 gr though. Primers were too hard for it. firing pin strike indentions.

Switched to commercial grade Winchester and Remington .308 and have had zero issues since.

Bummer since I have couple thousand rounds of M118. Guess more for the Saint and FAL

My M1A did not shoot Lake City M118 175 gr though. Primers were too hard for it. firing pin strike indentions.

Switched to commercial grade Winchester and Remington .308 and have had zero issues since.

Bummer since I have couple thousand rounds of M118. Guess more for the Saint and FAL
Agreed no issues with soft tip for me as well and also had some no shot I’ll attribute to light firing pin strikes in 175 grain federal sierra gold medal however shot lights out with the 165 grain of the same round. I’m looking to stick with 155-165 grain. My M1A loves Hornady.

Usually 308win chambers won't chamber m118 ammo? Must be throated longer in your guns?
If it works, why not!

I know that this flies in the face of other admonitions in the manual regarding reloads, BUT if you do reload one could easily deconstruct that soft point ammo and pop in a FMJ in its place.

OTOH can anyone expound on the consequences of shooting soft points through their M1A? At least one previous poster claims no ill effects but what about the other way?

Back