testtest

I Must Be the Only One

Oaktree45

Master Class
I must be the only gun nut that doesn't own a firearm based on the AR-15/M16 platform. I just don't see a want/need to own one. Perhaps, due to my negative experience with the early M16s that were jam-a-matics, it left me a bit warped. I do prefer the look a wood stock.

I have to admit that I was surprised when the AR platform became so popular on the American civilian market. I also have a preference for polished steel and wood but the AR has its place in my toolbox.

My experience with the M16 dating back to 1969 is that they will run if maintained right, AND you use the right ammo.

Piston driven AR's run cleaner than gas impingement and are very reliable. AR's are like everything else, to get high quality results you need a high quality gun, and they aren't cheap.

I have a couple AR'S for training. My Sig 516 Carbon has been through a couple high round count instructor courses with me and ran without a hiccup. It has a precision trigger and coupled with a Trijicon ACOG and a good weapon light, it is a deadly accurate rifle.

If I still worked the street this AR would be next to me in my cruiser. My personal preference is not to make an AR my primary home defense gun-for that I have an 870 with a weapon light and #4 buck. But I do have some mags loaded just in case. The AR is my go-to gun for hogs and various other varmints. It has been the end of many feral hogs and if Armageddon comes I would face the devil himself with it.

you are not alone. i have nothing against them. in fact, i enjoy shooting them when given a chance. however, living in nj there are many restrictions on what i can and can't have on a long gun with a pistol grip, not to mention the 10 round mag restrictions. i can't even have an adjustable stock! so i will wait until i leave nj to get an ar platform rifle so i can have what i want on it. in the mean time i work within the confines of what my benevolent overlords deem safe and acceptable for me to have.
also, i'm a sucker for more traditional rifles with wood stocks. i'd love to get an m1a scout rifle. some day... maybe.

You are not alone.
X2
My experience with the M16 dating back to 1969 is that they will run if maintained right, AND you use the right ammo.
YUP and British motorcycles run as long as you don't actually ride the darn things.
My experience (about 10 years shorter than yours and I suspect a different environment) is that it is not always possible to maintain right and or keep dust, sand, and other flying crap from fouling up the action. Never had one that I felt was reliable enough. However, like the man said treat it good feed it right and it will work. (mostly:devilish::LOL::LOL::LOL:)

Attachments

• 3a470461a992e7cb73e9ac87d7252d23.jpg
    3a470461a992e7cb73e9ac87d7252d23.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 60
I must be the only gun nut that doesn't own a firearm based on the AR-15/M16 platform. I just don't see a want/need to own one. Perhaps, due to my negative experience with the early M16s that were jam-a-matics, it left me a bit warped. I do prefer the look a wood stock.

Just like modern handguns, modern ARs are much more reliable than they used to be. I don't think I've ever had mine jam once, and I've thrown all sorts of different ammo through it, and I haven't been religious about cleaning it after every range session, either.

Just like modern handguns, modern ARs are much more reliable than they used to be. I don't think I've ever had mine jam once, and I've thrown all sorts of different ammo through it, and I haven't been religious about cleaning it after every range session, either.
Now to get a good mag and follower that feeds short mags in AR's. I've read a few different companies use standard AR10 mags (unchanged), but limits of 3-4 rounds as not holding them in the mag correctly enough.

Back