testtest

I Must Be the Only One

I shot the M16-A1 as a Marine AFTER Vietnam 1976-1979 and they were ok. I've owned FN-Fals, M1 Carbines, CETMEs, SKSs, AK-47, Turkish, Swedish and German Mausers but none of them really impressed me. I owned a couple of lever action Marlins and Winchesters and I liked how handy they were.

A while back I picked up a Ruger AR556 with Magpul furniture and liked how it felt so I bought it. I like how it shoots and it's not too heavy for my 65 year old body. I added a Magpul fore end grip and it's even easier to handle now. My AR also has a Magpul sling.

I had neck micro fracture surgery in 2015 so the 12 screws in my neck make it difficult for me to handle just any rifle. The AR is light and handy and doesn't strain my neck when I shoot it free standing. The collapsible stock also lets me hold it different ways and take away some of the neck discomfort I sometimes get.

I learned how to clean and maintain M16's when I was a Marine so I'm not too worried about dealing with malfunctions. And it's not like I'm going to be shooting the heck out of it.

On top of that there's a lot of accessories for it which is nice. In my opinion an AR is like the Glock 19 of rifles. I like my Glock 19 Gen 5...:)

I love all the comparisons. AR-15, Mini 14, AK47, accurized .22 rifle, Remington 870. None of these things are alike really.

Rifles with wood furniture ? Hell yeah. M14, BAR, 1894. Love 'em. ARs are meant to be plastic and very, very modular. No it's not my favorite gun, not it's not the gun I would take to the end of the world party, but it is extremely fun to shoot and tinker with and in a situation where you need a light gun that's reasonably accurate to 300 yards and is easy to carry large amounts of ammunition for, it's pretty damn hard to beat.

Being in the "business" for many years the AR was a very important tool. Had some good ones and bad ones issued to me. I also had a few in my personal collection for years. Alas the times and my age has made me not so much an AR owner anymore since last year. Do I miss it, yes. Will I purchase another one, who knows.

Being in the "business" for many years the AR was a very important tool. Had some good ones and bad ones issued to me. I also had a few in my personal collection for years. Alas the times and my age has made me not so much an AR owner anymore since last year. Do I miss it, yes. Will I purchase another one, who knows.
I guess I've been lucky. Or was lucky enough not to get into ARs until the industry advanced to the point where almost everyone was making decent parts. All mine are great. My favorite is a Wilson Combat 16" Ranger I built early this year. Very, very accurate, light and reliable as they come.

Spent a few years reading about ARs but never owned or shot one. After retiring in 2020 I bought a Ruger AR15 for some fun at the range ... and because I could! Changed the forearm and grip to Magpul and it made the rifle way more comfortable. It eats anything but steel case Tulammo just fine. They are easy and fun rifles to tinker with and customize if that's your thing. Since then I bought an SA Victor AR-10 and Hellion, to increase my playtime and tinkering.

I can't hunt in PA with semi-auto rifles or handguns so they are just range toys. I still use my old, accurate, Sears Model 53 .308 (Win model 70 remake) for hunting.

I love all the comparisons. AR-15, Mini 14, AK47, accurized .22 rifle, Remington 870. None of these things are alike really.

Rifles with wood furniture ? Hell yeah. M14, BAR, 1894. Love 'em. ARs are meant to be plastic and very, very modular. No it's not my favorite gun, not it's not the gun I would take to the end of the world party, but it is extremely fun to shoot and tinker with and in a situation where you need a light gun that's reasonably accurate to 300 yards and is easy to carry large amounts of ammunition for, it's pretty damn hard to beat.
This thread really is an example of “different strokes for different folks”.

This thread really is an example of “different strokes for different folks”.
You just have to cover all the bases …😜
Wood and metal .. old school : check
All wood old school : check
AR-15:
Modern: check SBR: check : old “A post” orig: check
Bullpup to be diff from AR15: check

IMG_2213.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_2204.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg
IMG_2207.jpeg
IMG_4404.jpeg

I had basic training in 1964, we had M-14's. I never saw an M-16 till I went to Vietnam. I got there in late December 1967. Being in a tank crew my primary weapon was not an M-16. At night in defensive positions we fired what was called H&I fire, (harassment & interdiction). Used my M-16 for this but often had failures to feed and ruptured cartridges. Our M-16's were the old three prong flash hider models. Sometime in 68 we were issued later models with chromed chambers and I think the same on the barrels. The new models were vastly improved but frequent cleaning was still required. I neither hate or love AR's but they are fun to shoot, pretty reliable and accurate. With all the craziness going on in our country we never know when we will be potential victims. An AR would be my weapon of choice to protect my family.

Back