testtest

Is Colion Noir right about open carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry concealed 90% of the time, I will
Un-conceal when at the gas station here in Louisville because there is an epidemic of car jacking’s going on.
I will also open carry when I’m on wildlife rescue calls in a SafariLand Level 3/4 holster for my XDM 4.5 45ACP

Either way, open or concealed I’m vigilant in practicing situational awareness to know what’s happening around me and who could be getting close to my comfort zone.

Most importantly is to know the laws in your state.

Tamara Keel wrote an article about open carry in which she said "There are people who open carry and people who open carry AT YOU." She went on to predict that if the practice continued sooner or later there would be some pushback.

I have some friends who live in Texas and they told me that when the open carry activists finally got open carry legislation passed a bunch of businesses that had never been posted against concealed carry immediately put up 30.07 signs and they put up 30.06 signs right next to them.

When Starbucks got caught in the middle of the controversy they solved the problem by specifically asking their customers not to bring any guns at all to their stores. In many states that simple request has the force of law.

When some idiot in a Tac vest walked into a Walmart in Springfield Missouri carrying an AR less than a week after somebody shot 20 something people in a Walmart in El Paso Texas Walmart responded by banning open carry in all of their stores Nationwide.

Kroger's, King Soopers, Safeway, Food Lion, Target and the list goes on followed suit. I can't know this of course but I suspect that if the open carry idiots push the issue these businesses will respond by banning all carry on their property.

Open carry is not winning us any Hearts or Minds. In fact it's turning people against us.

There is not a single, reputable trainer who advocates open carry that I am aware of.

Subject to the rights of property owners to ban the practice on their property, I think you should be your choice but it's not something you'll ever catch me doing.
Right spot on. If an aggressor sees my gun it will come as a sudden, unexpected, and terrible surprise and not before.

In my years working the street I experienced multiple occasions of suspects attempting to take my, or another officer's firearm. I can assure you that it is an absolutely religious experience to be in a fight to retain your gun. I taught weapon retention techniques and primal violence is the best way I can describe it as you know what he is going to do with it if he gets it.

As one of my instructors said in an academy more than 50 years ago, "There is always at least one gun present on every call or stop", The Level III retention holster is a great invention to counter gun grabs but still not 100%. In my opinion open carrying with an unsecure holster is simply irresponsible.

By paying attention to my environment, avoiding crowds and moving when someone comes too close. At this point it’s automatic and not something I have to think about.🤷‍♂️
A decade of working in the absolute worst neighborhoods north St. Louis has to offer did that to me. Unless I'm unconscious, no one gets that close to me unless I allow them to. And I am completely aware of everything on my periphery at all times.

Colion has had a couple videos out on why he doesn't open carry. This rebuttal video that's pro-open carry was posted today:
Thoughts?
first of all, to give someone under war conditions to build up their arsenal is ok with with me, such as is the case with the Ukrainian President.

the "narrator to me, is a dumb :poop: ", to say that no money was ever given to him to build up his personal arsenal or his you tube channel.....

after hearing that, and listening to his stupid rhetoric, for only about 2 minutes, i shut his video off.

to me, Colion Noir is more knowledgeable than the moron's point of view would ever be. he only wants subcribers so he can get more views, and thus more money, to produce more stupid :poop:

for one, and most important, you cannot compare war time monies being given to help a country against aggressors, over a dumb :poop:'s personal stock pile or stupid you tube video.....

and for the record, it highly depends on where you live and the laws regarding carrying. Here, it is concealed carry...PERIOD.

i was always paying attention to more VALID videos that if you open carry..??

you're more likely to be "taken out first" by the thugs, to eliminate thier risk of getting killed by you.

I watched the video my thoughts:
- What agenda does Mr. Noir have by going against Open Carry?
Why doesn't he address Open Carry in a good holster?
He knows lots of people watch his videos and see him as an expert, why this now?

- I'm a martial arts instructor. I have been carrying a concealed firearm and knife most of my adult life.
I was a licensed armed security officer and bodyguard for several years in the state of Texas.
I was a reserve Sheriff's Deputy in the state of Arkansas and attended and graduated from the 100 hour Reserve Deputy course.
I've taught firearm retention classes to civilians and law enforcement personnel.

I have had martial arts students that were Police, Sheriff Deputies, State Troopers, and even a few Federal Officers. I taught them empty hand martial arts but we also got into knife training (I've been training in Escrima/Arnis since 1987.)

Comparing firearm retention between a law enforcement officer and a civilian open carrying is not a good comparison. A law enforcement officer is forced to respond to situations that may become violent and in those situations the bad guy(s) might try to disarm him/her. I have had to restrain people while in uniform and armed and it's not easy. When I worked security we didn't have tasers.

I have dealt with many different kinds of aggressive male and females either under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or testosterone.

I have also worked in mental hospitals(12 hour shifts) where I was locked in a ward with adult or juvenile patients(Unarmed, with just the keys to the ward. Sometimes patients will try to take your keys because they know that's the only way out). You learn to talk things down and use subtle positioning. I was a MHA(Mental Health Associate) in Texas and Arkansas.

A civilian open carrying can "usually" choose whether to engage in confrontations or walk/drive away. But when you make somebody nervous they sometimes do stupid things and the situation can escalate. Why get into those situations when they can be avoided most of the time.

I don't let people get very close to me unless I know them. I volunteer at a museum and carry concealed and deal with tourists. I've never had anyone come close enough to hug or bump me to feel that I was carrying concealed.

I believe in good firearm equipment(firearm/holster/belt) and training.

Though I'm not a fan of Open Carry in public places, I'm not against someone legally doing so. And while I'll agree with the video that many people are distracted by their phones, I don't want the added attention that a non-gun person will give me if I was open carrying. To me it's worth the extra effort to conceal my firearm properly before I head out of the house.

When confronted in close quarter violent situations(and I'm alone) I'm more likely to use my empty hand martial arts skills or my knife before I even consider drawing my firearm. But I purposely moved to a small town to retire and pick my times when I'm out in public and where I go, to avoid these situations.

Even when I volunteer at the museum I subtly try to control the distance between me and others. It's part of my martial arts training and something I strongly emphasize to my students. Distance gives you time, time gives you choices.

When you're forced to react you might make a mistake that changes your life or the life of another.
In my humble opinion, open carrying adds a degree of stress I would rather avoid.
I'm no longer a security officer being paid to keep peace in a selected area, so my primary goal is avoidance and survival.

When you're older (I'm 64) you're sometimes seen as a target(not so much in smaller towns).
In larger cities there are a lot more predators. And that's why I am armed. I sometimes go shopping with my older sisters(in larger towns) and they're very easy targets. That's another reason I carry a concealed firearm.

first of all, to give someone under war conditions to build up their arsenal is ok with with me, such as is the case with the Ukrainian President.

the "narrator to me, is a dumb :poop: ", to say that no money was ever given to him to build up his personal arsenal or his you tube channel.....

after hearing that, and listening to his stupid rhetoric, for only about 2 minutes, i shut his video off.

to me, Colion Noir is more knowledgeable than the moron's point of view would ever be. he only wants subcribers so he can get more views, and thus more money, to produce more stupid :poop:

for one, and most important, you cannot compare war time monies being given to help a country against aggressors, over a dumb :poop:'s personal stock pile or stupid you tube video.....

and for the record, it highly depends on where you live and the laws regarding carrying. Here, it is concealed carry...PERIOD.

i was always paying attention to more VALID videos that if you open carry..??

you're more likely to be "taken out first" by the thugs, to eliminate thier risk of getting killed by you.

John Bolton and Dick Cheney thank you for your service to the regime. Interesting that you're the type of gun carrier that even Joe Biden and Hillary can love.

When you're older (I'm 64) you're sometimes seen as a target(not so much in smaller towns).
In larger cities there are a lot more predators. And that's why I am armed. I sometimes go shopping with my older sisters(in larger towns) and they're very easy targets. That's another reason I carry a concealed firearm.
As you get older and start being not quite as strong and mobile, and especially if you are responsible for someone else in the same (or worse) boat, you realize how vulnerable you are. I never thought about this much in my younger days, but it dawned on me one day at a store while I was helping my better half get in the van. I have been licensed just about since my state started it, but I have carried concealed every day since I was enlightened. If I thought open carry would work better for me, I would do it. I don’t think so though.

As you get older and start being not quite as strong and mobile, and especially if you are responsible for someone else in the same (or worse) boat, you realize how vulnerable you are. I never thought about this much in my younger days, but it dawned on me one day at a store while I was helping my better half get in the van. I have been licensed just about since my state started it, but I have carried concealed every day since I was enlightened. If I thought open carry would work better for me, I would do it. I don’t think so though.
In cool to cold weather I carry full size in an OWB with a cover garment.

Yes sir. I've had surgeries(Neck Micro Fracture and Quadruple Bypass) in the last 5 years. And I never felt so vulnerable as I did as I was recovering at home from those surgeries.

I've been able to get in good enough shape to be able to stand for longer periods of time and even walk a couple of miles. My New Year's gift to myself will be a manual treadmill so I can get in more cardio exercise at the house.

I'm finally able to do about 90% of the martial arts training I could do before the surgeries. Even with all the martial arts training and self-defense experience I have, I still prefer to carry a concealed firearm just in case.

My older sisters are in the upper 60's and lower 70's. And when I'm around them I'm always watching for them. They took care of me when I was younger now it's my turn to help them out when I can...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back