testtest

Is Colion Noir right about open carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with the video, makes great points. I open carry sometimes with a level 3 retention Tier 1 holster and most people don’t notice I am carrying. I never let strangers get inside my reactionary gap whether I’m open carrying or not so there’s no “heightened awareness” factor to it. It’s not my standard but I see nothing wrong with it as long as It’s legal where you are.

Tamara Keel wrote an article about open carry in which she said "There are people who open carry and people who open carry AT YOU." She went on to predict that if the practice continued sooner or later there would be some pushback.

I have some friends who live in Texas and they told me that when the open carry activists finally got open carry legislation passed a bunch of businesses that had never been posted against concealed carry immediately put up 30.07 signs and they put up 30.06 signs right next to them.

When Starbucks got caught in the middle of the controversy they solved the problem by specifically asking their customers not to bring any guns at all to their stores. In many states that simple request has the force of law.

When some idiot in a Tac vest walked into a Walmart in Springfield Missouri carrying an AR less than a week after somebody shot 20 something people in a Walmart in El Paso Texas Walmart responded by banning open carry in all of their stores Nationwide.

Kroger's, King Soopers, Safeway, Food Lion, Target and the list goes on followed suit. I can't know this of course but I suspect that if the open carry idiots push the issue these businesses will respond by banning all carry on their property.

Open carry is not winning us any Hearts or Minds. In fact it's turning people against us.

There is not a single, reputable trainer who advocates open carry that I am aware of.

Subject to the rights of property owners to ban the practice on their property, I think you should be your choice but it's not something you'll ever catch me doing.

Tamara Keel wrote an article about open carry in which she said "There are people who open carry and people who open carry AT YOU." She went on to predict that if the practice continued sooner or later there would be some pushback.

I have some friends who live in Texas and they told me that when the open carry activists finally got open carry legislation passed a bunch of businesses that had never been posted against concealed carry immediately put up 30.07 signs and they put up 30.06 signs right next to them.

When Starbucks got caught in the middle of the controversy they solved the problem by specifically asking their customers not to bring any guns at all to their stores. In many states that simple request has the force of law.

When some idiot in a Tac vest walked into a Walmart in Springfield Missouri carrying an AR less than a week after somebody shot 20 something people in a Walmart in El Paso Texas Walmart responded by banning open carry in all of their stores Nationwide.

Kroger's, King Soopers, Safeway, Food Lion, Target and the list goes on followed suit. I can't know this of course but I suspect that if the open carry idiots push the issue these businesses will respond by banning all carry on their property.

Open carry is not winning us any Hearts or Minds. In fact it's turning people against us.

There is not a single, reputable trainer who advocates open carry that I am aware of.

Subject to the rights of property owners to ban the practice on their property, I think you should be your choice but it's not something you'll ever catch me doing.
Both Colion and the rebuttal videos address that and talk about responsible open carry. It's worth at least watching to hear their arguments.

Both Colion and the rebuttal videos address that and talk about responsible open carry. It's worth at least watching to hear their arguments.
I did watch it.

The majority of times that I see somebody open carrying they're using some cheap nylon one size fits most belt holster. The retention is usually a velcro strap that is set up so that they have to reach down, pull the strap off and then reach back down and grab the gun and draw it. The holster is usually secured to the belt by a single loop leaving the gun flopping WAAAAAY out from the belt.

I don't think I've ever seen a person who wasn't police or security "responsibly" open carrying a gun

I did watch it.

The majority of times that I see somebody open carrying they're using some cheap nylon one size fits most belt holster. The retention is usually a velcro strap that is set up so that they have to reach down, pull the strap off and then reach back down and grab the gun and draw it. The holster is usually secured to the belt by a single loop leaving the gun flopping WAAAAAY out from the belt.
You're doing what Colion does which is arguing from an extreme. I've seen plenty of concealed carriers decked out in cargo pants, baggy cover garments, 5.11 gear, etc. to try to hide the obvious fact that they're carry. That doesn't make concealed carry a bad idea. It's just the difference between doing it well and not doing it well. The discussion on responsible carry is much more useful than arguing about the extreme.

You're doing what Colion does which is arguing from an extreme. I've seen plenty of concealed carriers decked out in cargo pants, baggy cover garments, 5.11 gear, etc. to try to hide the obvious fact that they're carry. That doesn't make concealed carry a bad idea. It's just the difference between doing it well and not doing it well. The discussion on responsible carry is much more useful than arguing about the extreme.
First of all let me be completely clear, I think Open Carry is a bad idea BUT I absolutely believe that if you can legally own a firearm you should be able to carry it at your discretion, open or concealed. It's just not something I choose to participate in.

I worked as a security guard for 15 years. I had one person try to flat out try to take my gun off of me in a Convenience Store (Safariland 6280 level 2 holster) one night. No question in my mind that he knew I was armed. Even less doubt my mind at the gun was absolutely no deterrent.

I had a guy try to attack me in a crowded 7-Eleven in broad daylight in the middle of the afternoon. And the fact that I was openly armed ( and wearing body armor and carrying OC spray and looking like The Terminator) was absolutely no deterrent .

I've had multiple people threaten to knock me on my ass and take my gun. I've even had a few dare me shoot them.

If you want to go open carry go right ahead but let me warn you right now you had better have a plan for what you're going to do when somebody tries to take your gun off you

I did watch it.

I don't think I've ever seen a person who wasn't police or security "responsibly" open carrying a gun
I've seen folks doing "the Walmart walk" flopping down the isles. They frequently use an IWB holster with a single clip as an OWB holster. I cringe waiting for one to crash to the floor.

Here is an article from The Armory Life that discusses this argument from a philosophical vs. tactical argument.

True. I have seen more signage specifying licensed and no open carry since Texas went Const and Open. I have zero data to support this only a feeling, but I feel I have in some ways gained places by being licensed and carrying concealed. I do open carry in certain outdoor situations.

I don't see too many people around here open carrying. I can't think of any advantage to open carrying. Only disadvantages.

Hunting or tromping around on your own land, ok, I can see that. Otherwise I'd like to hear why anyone would do it in a public place.
I open carry to and from the local outdoor range (just like most people at my range do) since in order to do holster work you have to use an open carry holster. Sometimes I stop off on the way there or back, nobody has ever said a word to me about it and most people don’t even notice, it’s not a big deal where I live.

That being said I prefer concealed carry.

Screenshot_20221229-224813_Samsung Internet.jpg

I mean, this is almost spam

Here is an article from The Armory Life that discusses this argument from a philosophical vs. tactical argument.

Good article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back