Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • There's a better choice

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
At this point in this discussion I'd like to ask members a rhetorical question: which round would you want to be shot with? I think it boils down to how much confidence one has in the round and handgun he or she carries. Being able to hit what one is shooting at, to me, is the deciding factor. It's good to have options.

I have a Glock Model 33 that has been relegated to the back of the gun safe. The small frame and heffty .357 Sig are not a good match for my right hand. After shooting just 2 mags at the range my hand is almost always numb. I still think it's a good personal defense at a short distance pistol, but I have concerns about using it as a EDC handgun.

I have no problem with carrying my LCP MAX both winter and summer. It's small, light weight, fits my pants pocket nicely, and has a higher capacity magazine than most other 380 pistols. It has excellent sights, and with 12 rounds in the magazine and the pocket holster it weighs 16 ounces. I like the 380 caliber because over penetration usually isn't a problem and it makes the same size hole as a 9mm.

The one I had was the Scandium. 44 magnum , brutal, I would rather lick a light socket than shoot it again.
That must've been a real wrist-breaker! I never shoot anything heavier than .357 through a Ruger GP 100 w/ 4" barrel. That was bearable, given the gun's heft. Never with a lightweight snub-nose.

As I am retirement age and starting to really feel recoil, I will revisit .380.

That must've been a real wrist-breaker! I never shoot anything heavier than .357 through a Ruger GP 100 w/ 4" barrel. That was bearable, given the gun's heft. Never with a lightweight snub-nose.

As I am retirement age and starting to really feel recoil, I will revisit .380.
Welcome to retirement eventually, gotta say I find it entirely relaxing. Second time is a hoot...

Apparently not, Beretta has just come out with one that looks pretty good. The X80 Cheetah.
1680898659627.png

I think it’s amusing that it’s considered acceptable in summer, and not winter.

Do people really think that a winter jacket is going to slow down the bullet that much? If anything, it’s going to increase penetration in a hollow point due to a plugged nose…moot for me, since all my .380’s use FN-FMJ.

And, no, it’s no more obsolete than the calibers that came out at the same time frame…9mm and .45acp.
I think of it as more a summer gun because of its size more than stopping power. I have a Springfield 911 in .380 for when I’m wearing a tighter T-shirt and shorts or sweats. This gun can disappear IWB and is light enough it won’t pull down your shorts or sweats being held up with just a drawstring.

Back