testtest

Is the 911 .380 Too Heavy?

uspatriot1960

Master Class
Thanks for posting. I love my 911 .380 as my super concealed lightweight carry piece. In fact, I’m about to go on a walk/jog and this is what I will carry for that. My Hellcat is my EDC, but my 911 .380 is my go to when I need to be sure I’m completely concealed and need something very light weight. This gun also shoots like a champ. Smooth, accurate, low recoil. I really couldn’t ask for anything more.

BobM

Professional
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Is the 911 .380 Too Heavy?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-the-911-380-too-heavy/.

Mike, Thanks for posting another pleasant read.

Unfortunately, haven't seen any of the attractive looking 911's in a year or the .380ACP ammo in 6mo's - so am still a bit uncertain for now. Have seen both the SA 911's in 9mm and .380ACP elusive winged gripped critters in a distant land though. They seem to be a bit shy? Kidding! :) Maybe nice to find one at an LGS & follow an unsuspecting customer home? - Until then? :)

uspatriot1960

Master Class
.380 ammo was hard to find for quite a while. However, I’ve been able to accumulate some lately. Over the last month or so, I’ve picked up around 700 rounds at reasonable prices from the Academy near me. Enough where I don’t feel the need to scavenge for more right now. Most of it has been steel case, but I can live with that.

Annihilator

SAINT
Founding Member
Good article Mike, but I know my 911 in 9mm is heavy, but not as heavy as my G26, I think also it depends on the bullet weight also for the weight, but all aside, I rather have a slightly heavy gun with me instead of no gun at all.

uspatriot1960

Master Class
Good article Mike, but I know my 911 in 9mm is heavy, but not as heavy as my G26, I think also it depends on the bullet weight also for the weight, but all aside, I rather have a slightly heavy gun with me instead of no gun at all.
The 9mm 911 is a good 2.5 ounces heavier than the .380 911. But at 15.3 ounces, it’s still pretty light for a 9mm. Add the weight of the bullets and it will wind up a pretty good bit heavier than the .380 loaded. It’s amazing how much a few ounces and a few tenths in width can make in a carry situation...

For me, the .380 911 feels tiny compared to my Hellcat, which is a pretty light EDC in its own right.

HansGruber

Hellcat
Local store actually had a bunch of S&B FMJ .380 the other day at .50/rd, JHP (forget the flavor ) for about 1.25/rd. Not bad, really.

And I do like my Sig P238–yeah, not a 911, but it’s predecessor. Super soft shooting .380.

uspatriot1960

Master Class
Local store actually had a bunch of S&B FMJ .380 the other day at .50/rd, JHP (forget the flavor ) for about 1.25/rd. Not bad, really.

And I do like my Sig P238–yeah, not a 911, but it’s predecessor. Super soft shooting .380.
Nice. The P238 is basically the same gun. I almost got that, but I liked the features of the 911 for the price better. G10 grips and tritium sights standard. Either gun is a nice choice.

Pandaz3

Alpha
I should add that I carry the 911 with the extended magazine, so 7+1. I carry a flush six round spare in the support pocket. I have shot at least eight varieties of 380 ammo. I carry, normally, a 90 grain XTP bullet, Hornady, Fiocchi, but usually Underwood, regular or +P.

wmg1299

Custom
I always pocket-carry if I carry a small handgun chambered in .380 ACP. The two pocket guns that I switch between are the Springfield 911 Alpha and a Ruger LCP II. There is only a 2.6 oz. difference in weight between the two, and the 911 definitely isn't "too heavy" in jeans or dress pants.

The only time I notice a difference between the 911 and the LCP II is when wearing workout gear and exercising outdoors. The LCP II in a Sticky Holster stays in place and is barely noticeable. The 911 is just heavy enough to pull drawstring pants down a bit, and it seems to bounce around in the pocket while jogging or biking. That is the only situation where I consider the 911 to be "too heavy".