testtest

Is the 911 .380 Too Heavy?

Thanks for posting. I love my 911 .380 as my super concealed lightweight carry piece. In fact, I’m about to go on a walk/jog and this is what I will carry for that. My Hellcat is my EDC, but my 911 .380 is my go to when I need to be sure I’m completely concealed and need something very light weight. This gun also shoots like a champ. Smooth, accurate, low recoil. I really couldn’t ask for anything more.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Is the 911 .380 Too Heavy?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-the-911-380-too-heavy/.

Mike, Thanks for posting another pleasant read.

Unfortunately, haven't seen any of the attractive looking 911's in a year or the .380ACP ammo in 6mo's - so am still a bit uncertain for now. Have seen both the SA 911's in 9mm and .380ACP elusive winged gripped critters in a distant land though. They seem to be a bit shy? Kidding! :) Maybe nice to find one at an LGS & follow an unsuspecting customer home? - Until then? :)

.380 ammo was hard to find for quite a while. However, I’ve been able to accumulate some lately. Over the last month or so, I’ve picked up around 700 rounds at reasonable prices from the Academy near me. Enough where I don’t feel the need to scavenge for more right now. Most of it has been steel case, but I can live with that.

Good article Mike, but I know my 911 in 9mm is heavy, but not as heavy as my G26, I think also it depends on the bullet weight also for the weight, but all aside, I rather have a slightly heavy gun with me instead of no gun at all.

Good article Mike, but I know my 911 in 9mm is heavy, but not as heavy as my G26, I think also it depends on the bullet weight also for the weight, but all aside, I rather have a slightly heavy gun with me instead of no gun at all.
The 9mm 911 is a good 2.5 ounces heavier than the .380 911. But at 15.3 ounces, it’s still pretty light for a 9mm. Add the weight of the bullets and it will wind up a pretty good bit heavier than the .380 loaded. It’s amazing how much a few ounces and a few tenths in width can make in a carry situation...

For me, the .380 911 feels tiny compared to my Hellcat, which is a pretty light EDC in its own right.

Local store actually had a bunch of S&B FMJ .380 the other day at .50/rd, JHP (forget the flavor ) for about 1.25/rd. Not bad, really.

And I do like my Sig P238–yeah, not a 911, but it’s predecessor. Super soft shooting .380.

Local store actually had a bunch of S&B FMJ .380 the other day at .50/rd, JHP (forget the flavor ) for about 1.25/rd. Not bad, really.

And I do like my Sig P238–yeah, not a 911, but it’s predecessor. Super soft shooting .380.
Nice. The P238 is basically the same gun. I almost got that, but I liked the features of the 911 for the price better. G10 grips and tritium sights standard. Either gun is a nice choice.

I should add that I carry the 911 with the extended magazine, so 7+1. I carry a flush six round spare in the support pocket. I have shot at least eight varieties of 380 ammo. I carry, normally, a 90 grain XTP bullet, Hornady, Fiocchi, but usually Underwood, regular or +P.

I always pocket-carry if I carry a small handgun chambered in .380 ACP. The two pocket guns that I switch between are the Springfield 911 Alpha and a Ruger LCP II. There is only a 2.6 oz. difference in weight between the two, and the 911 definitely isn't "too heavy" in jeans or dress pants.

The only time I notice a difference between the 911 and the LCP II is when wearing workout gear and exercising outdoors. The LCP II in a Sticky Holster stays in place and is barely noticeable. The 911 is just heavy enough to pull drawstring pants down a bit, and it seems to bounce around in the pocket while jogging or biking. That is the only situation where I consider the 911 to be "too heavy".

Back