testtest

Leather holster

I have carried everything from Kimber's to Springfields cocked and locked in a open top holster and had no problems with the safety getting flicked down-it's a none problem in my opinion-
There is a thumb safety and grip safety and the safety between the ears-how many more is needed-
It would have to be a perfect scenario for the pistol to accidentally fire-

Here are two 1791 holsters that I carry. I haven't had any issues regarding retention.
1791s.JPG

Here's a very similar system. Not the same one I used but that major components look the same as does the modularity.

Just going through this post for school and @TEXASforLIFE if I recall correctly there was no strap but the gun was relased by a button on the side easily in reach (and designed for) the index finger. Nice little rig.

I really like my SafariLand holster, as I’ve said it’s not something that’s easily concealable however when I wear it I know my XDM 4.5 45ACP is secure and safe. It has 3 retention devices built in.
0D8D8019-5CD2-4CAF-86CC-58B9BB46FB30.jpeg

The plastic loop is released and rotated forward using my thumb. You can see the ridged thumb rest on the left side.
5B397725-983E-47BC-B1FD-EF0C16CA5DE5.jpeg

As I push down on that flat ridge and rotate the loop forward my thumb naturally comes to rest on the button for the second retention release.
5AD495E1-9CDC-48D8-B39E-A7E65E2429A9.jpeg

At this point I push down on the button and draw the gun. The button needs to be pushed before you attempt to draw the gun or the holster won’t release the gun, this is the third retention device.
6AD581A0-0D2A-4769-B9F5-446CC9B552B7.jpeg

The inside of the holster is suede lined for an ultra smooth draw and protects the gun finish.

Ok, I know I have said in the past, only leather holsters for me, picked this up cause it was on sale at my dealer, Blackhawk Serpa, came with the paddle and belt bracket, got it for my G17, my first polymer holster, hate to admit it, I really like it a lot, so forgive me, I had a weak moment……

View attachment 27107
I have 1 and only 1, but it fits 3 different guns (not all at the same time ;) ). If I could find 1 for a 50ae I'd be in business? It'll probably break due to weight?

Ok, I know I have said in the past, only leather holsters for me, picked this up cause it was on sale at my dealer, Blackhawk Serpa, came with the paddle and belt bracket, got it for my G17, my first polymer holster, hate to admit it, I really like it a lot, so forgive me, I had a weak moment……

View attachment 27107
I have two and really like them both, many people say they are dangerous because the retention release button is in line with the trigger guard so after you press the button and draw the gun your finger goes right to the trigger however I’ve practiced extensively with mine and my index finger is always along the slide.

It’s ok to have weak moments just don’t let it happen to often or you’ll be like @BET7 buying everything in sight.

Last edited:
I have two and really like them both, many people say they are dangerous because the retention release button is in line with the trigger guard so after you press the button and draw the gun your finger goes right to the trigger however I’ve practiced extensively with mine and my index finger is always along the slide.

It’s ok to have weak moments just don’t let it happen to often or you’ll be like @BET7 buying everything in sight.
Yea, I don’t have a warehouse close to me for storage like he has…..😬😬😬😬

He's still a kid in the ultimate candy store :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Most of my holster are leather. Some are custom made for specific firearms. I use the conditioner on the outside of all my leather holsters. The one I use is the one the holster maker recommends. I Use the plastic bag method for my tight fits. The retention strap always took a little while to break in. I’ve always used Galco, DeSantis and Kirkpatrick leather for my custom jobs. I have leather holsters that are over 20 years old and I Never had a problem. My 1911’s I don’t use as a EDC. I’m comfortable with them so I would have no problem carrying Lock & Cocked. I agree it has to be something you are comfortable with.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 53
Couple things.

I just started carrying my new 1911. The holster I bought is a leather one with a thumb strap. Everything is still tight and when I attempt to button it, the manual thumb safety will sometimes come disengaged. I can sort maneuver back to safety with the thumb strap engaged. I'm a bit apprehensive about carrying it with one in the chamber until I'm a little more comfortable. Mostly a psychological thing I believe. I have zero issues carrying my hellcat and Glock (both striker fire) but this is a new gun to me.
Did Wannabewoodsman ever come back and tell us if he got his holster issue resolved?

20221029_171921.jpg

I've tried a lot of different holsters and I've settled on Kramer.

I have been taught that anything you do to "loosen up" a holster or "break in" a holster only speeds up the wear process and shortens the service life of the holster. I "break in" my holsters by using them. Kramer specifically recommends against using any conditioners on their products.

Several agencies including DHS ban the use of SERPA holsters.

^This is all im going to say about SERPA.

20220211_122941.jpg

Safariland makes a good concealable kydex retention holster that (IMO) is lightyears beyond SERPA.

I used this holster the last six or eight months that I was working. I would not call this a duty holster. I wouldn't have used it at work if I had a job that required me to be around a lot of people. I also would not have worn it at work if I couldn't at least partially conceal it under my stylish yellow safety vest. The retention device is too easy to defeat. All you have to do is grab the pistol from behind and it's coming out of the holster. It does make a good concealable holster though.

There's nothing wrong/dangerous with SERPA holsters if you know/remember how to use them properly as per these points.

32 year LEO. For duty I use a holster just like Keystone posted only thing different is mine has a "hood" attachment over the slide covering the gun to prevent or at least make gun grabs from suspects more difficult. I also have a few real leather duty holsters that are great but they are only a level 1 retention with just being a thumb snap. As far as conditioners or neetsfoot oil or the like ? Stay away it'll wear the leather down quicker and actually soften the leather. (Experience, ruined a few holsters that way) I just spray a light amount of silicone into the holster and like a pair of boots I apply a layer of Lincoln stain wax onto the outside. The Lincoln will shine it up (even works on basketweave patterns) and the polish will make it a little waterproof as well. Just my two cents...

My apologies if this posted earlier in this thread, but I've been following the chatter and am pretty sure I'm going for the Vintage 1791 model for my 5" 1911. But it was "the plastic bag trick" that was referred to more times then a Biden stutter and boy was it baffling me, because I'm completely clueless. BUT, 1791 product post on Amazon to the rescue, and they have it in the photo list. I'm sticking this on here for anyone else who dares not to ask "what's the plastic bag trick??" :p

Noobs will be silently thanking me, lol... this is probably elsewhere but here it is again:

814p1PPwaeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Couple things.

I just started carrying my new 1911. The holster I bought is a leather one with a thumb strap. Everything is still tight and when I attempt to button it, the manual thumb safety will sometimes come disengaged. I can sort maneuver back to safety with the thumb strap engaged. I'm a bit apprehensive about carrying it with one in the chamber until I'm a little more comfortable. Mostly a psychological thing I believe. I have zero issues carrying my hellcat and Glock (both striker fire) but this is a new gun to me.

So my question is that thumb safety concern an issue if I carry it red? (One in the chamber, hammer to the rear) The grip safety seems mechanically sound.

My other question is also holster related. In this case, I've heard of western folks, Buffalo Bill in particular, talk about covering the inside of their holsters with wax to make drawing easier. Does anyone do this?
I have a Kydex outside the waistband holster for my 1911. I love it, no issues with thumb safety and no wax!

One thing I have learned is you can't really judge a holster until you actually use it. That's why I have a bunch of holsters I'll probably never use!

Back