testtest

Let's see your AR setups...

A friend is letting me borrow his LPVO for a few weeks. See how I like it.
Primary Arms SLx8 1-8x24 FFP ACSS Raptor.
EDIT: I've since moved it back. It was a bit too far forward after I mounted it.

hGSTYRh.jpg

A friend is letting me borrow his LPVO for a few weeks. See how I like it.
Primary Arms SLx8 1-8x24 FFP ACSS Raptor.
EDIT: I've since moved it back. It was a bit too far forward after I mounted it.

hGSTYRh.jpg
The eye relief of that LPVO will most likely to be brutal where it's mounted now.

You'll likely find that you will need to hang the eye piece off the back of the rifle behind the charging handle otherwise your going to probably need to lean way in for a clear sight picture.

This is just my experience when using scoped rifles.

You can always dry fit the scope in place to check the eye relief at different magnifications to find the optimal mounting location on the rail.

Noted. I'll have a chance this weekend to move it around to see where it's comfortable.
I'm primarily testing whether or not I want to go with LPVO or go with the red dot plus a 3x magnifier that can flip away.

Since it is not your scope I wouldn't get too hung up about leveling it and all that. I would mount it snug, but not tight in the scope mount and then move the whole thing on the rail until you see where eye relief is best.

If you go the magnifier route, don't cheap out. I have a Primary Arms magnifier and I hate it. I'm not impressed with magnifiers myself.

What is the primary function of your carbine ?

At what distances are you planning on shooting it ?

Frankly anything 100 yards or under I wouldn't mess with a magnifier or a scope. That said, I have zero experience with an LPVO, but my main concern with it would be how easily you can use it turned all the way down with both your eyes open, like a dot. I would set the mount up with a 45 degree mount as well so you can put a RDMS on there. I am considering putting an LPVO on my main AR, but would most likely run a red dot on a 45 degree mount too.

Since it is not your scope I wouldn't get too hung up about leveling it and all that. I would mount it snug, but not tight in the scope mount and then move the whole thing on the rail until you see where eye relief is best.

If you go the magnifier route, don't cheap out. I have a Primary Arms magnifier and I hate it. I'm not impressed with magnifiers myself.

Frankly anything 100 yards or under I wouldn't mess with a magnifier or a scope. That said, I have zero experience with an LPVO, but my main concern with it would be how easily you can use it turned all the way down with both your eyes open, like a dot. I would set the mount up with a 45 degree mount as well so you can put a RDMS on there. I am considering putting an LPVO on my main AR, but would most likely run a red dot on a 45 degree mount too.

Shooting under 300 yards in the future. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot no which is fine for 100 yards and less. It's not the greatest but it works.

I've used several of my friends rifles that have either a 30 degree or 45 degree mount for the their red dot and the 30 degree, to me, is far easier to transition too from an optic.

But hey, you can always mount it 90 degrees too! :p

H5eFKOi.jpg

Shooting under 300 yards in the future. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot no which is fine for 100 yards and less. It's not the greatest but it works.

I've used several of my friends rifles that have either a 30 degree or 45 degree mount for the their red dot and the 30 degree, to me, is far easier to transition too from an optic.

But hey, you can always mount it 90 degrees too! :p

H5eFKOi.jpg
I haven't actually tried any of them. I hadn't given much thought to the angle and wasn't even aware they came in different degrees. 30 degree does seem a lot more useful though. And I would probably use a RDMS rather than a dot designed for a shotgun or AR.

You can use an LPVO with the magnification turned all the way down with both eyes open. I actually like the LPVO option for certain rifles for the combination of fast target acquisition when using the scope turned down and the option for a higher level of precision shots then a 3X RDS. A dedicated RDS combined with flip magnifier can potentially weigh more and take up the same space on the rail as a single LPVO.

Shooting 100yds with an LPVO you will see a much clearer picture of where the bullets are impacting on the target than when using a 3X RDS.

You can use an LPVO with the magnification turned all the way down with both eyes open. I actually like the LPVO option for certain rifles for the combination of fast target acquisition when using the scope turned down and the option for a higher level of precision shots then a 3X RDS. A dedicated RDS combined with flip magnifier can potentially weigh more and take up the same space on the rail as a single LPVO.

Shooting 100yds with an LPVO you will see a much clearer picture of where the bullets are impacting on the target than when using a 3X RDS.
Was considering moving the 512C off the WC and putting an LPVO on it. Like I said though, I would probably want a RDMS on a canted mount.

Nice, but what's th red thing?

Since I don't live in a "free state", it's a Cross Armory maglock. If you look at where the rear take down pin is, you'll see the Quickpins set up. Since I wanted to keep the pistol grip, foregrip, flash hider and adjustable stock, I went with the maglock set up.

To drop the mag, I have to squeeze the Quickpins, it breaks the action and drops the mag.

It's not ideal, but that's CA for you.

Thanks for the explanation, i never seen one before.

No problem. There are different ones out there. I'll be switching this out for the ARMaglock Gen 4 and Kingpin. I believe it makes it easier to deal with double feeds. Which I have dealt with on this set up.
Here's why I want to switch to setups.

Currently....
I pushed out the front take down pin which breaks the action just a bit, but it's not enough to release the mag. Then I squeeze the Quick Pins to break the rear action so the upper can move a bit, then the mag drops which drops one of the stuck rounds. Once it drops, I close it back up, close the front pin, then cycle the charging handle a few times until the other round ejects.

It's not ideal, but it works.

Reno May has a good video on it:

Now, if one doesn't want all this in CA, you can go with a fin grip or another stock that doesn't have a pistol grip and you can retain the standard mag release set up.

Back