testtest

Let's see your AR setups...

If he did go the SBR route, as per your first comment, he'd have to engrave the pistol with the stamp # since the MCK chassis isn't a firearm nor an NFA item.
The M&P is the pistol and the chassis is the equivalent to what a stock is an AR pistol aka an accessory. That's how I understand it, but open to being wrong. Do you have a link to the info where you heard this so I can educate myself. I understood the requirement to be that engravings ONLY needed to be done for trust and when you're the manufacturer of the firearm, i.e., 80% lowers. I just got into the sbr game so I could be wrong and way off base

Last edited:
You don't have to have a trust to get a NFA item, therefore if you SBR anything you have to engrave the stamp # on the firearm no matter if you have a trust or not. You don't engrave the stamp # on an accessory.

You don't have to have a trust to get a NFA item, therefore if you SBR anything you have to engrave the stamp # on the firearm no matter if you have a trust or not. You don't engrave the stamp # on an accessory.
I've done 4 SBRs and never was a requirement to engrave the stamp number.

I've done 4 SBRs and never was a requirement to engrave the stamp number.
Only when you apply for and make an SBR/SBS using the ATF Form 1 or ATF eForm 1 are you required to engrave your applicant information on the SBR/SBS. Note: The SBR/SBS that you are purchasing using the ATF Form 4 may contain the engravings from the maker on the SBR/SBS. That is normal and shouldn't be removed.

Only when you apply for and make an SBR/SBS using the ATF Form 1 or ATF eForm 1 are you required to engrave your applicant information on the SBR/SBS. Note: The SBR/SBS that you are purchasing using the ATF Form 4 may contain the engravings from the maker on the SBR/SBS. That is normal and shouldn't be removed.

Thanks! Seems that we're both partially right. What that seems to say and what information on their site states is that the "name" and "location" of the "maker" or trust needs to be engraved that's it in addition to the serial number. Doesn't look like the stamp number gets engraved but rather the name and location.

The only time any of this information may vary would be if you’re taking an existing rifle or shotgun and turning it into an SBR or SBS. In that case, you’ll use the already existing make, model, caliber, and serial number on your Form 1 and you’ll only have to engrave your name or your trust and the city and state where the item was made.
https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/every-nfa-engraving-requirement-you-need-to-know-about/

Then there The Truth about Guns article that states what other on forums debates have stated that the markings only have to be there if and when you sell it.

Seems to be a big debate on gun forums with everyone swearing up and down one thing or another. I just go into the game, so I guess I'll end up having to contact the ATF for CYA final say on what's the proper way to do this. Too much conflicting information. Thanks for bringing this to my attention else I wouldn't have known anything about it either way.

Hopefully the whole brace thing gets overturned soon so all of us can go back to using pistols.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I have an AR as well. :D Diamondback DB-15, which was my later father's rifle. It's not much, but she shoots just fine for my needs.
For those wondering, being in CA, I didn't want to go featureless. So I installed the Cross Armory Fixed magazine locking system and Quick Pins. Other add-ons was the Bushnell Red Dot (my dad had it on there already), Magpul BUIS, Magpul MOE+ grip, Radian Raptor-LT charging handle, Magpul MS1 2-point sling and Magpul RSA attachment.

PSLMwYh.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I have an AR as well. :D Diamondback DB-15, which was my later father's rifle. It's not much, but she shoots just fine for my needs.
For those wondering, being in CA, I didn't want to go featureless. So I installed the Cross Armory Fixed magazine locking system and Quick Pins. Other add-ons was the Bushnell Red Dot (my dad had it on there already), Magpul BUIS, Magpul MOE+ grip, Radian Raptor-LT charging handle, Magpul MS1 2-point sling and Magpul RSA attachment.

PSLMwYh.jpg
good old COMMIEFORINA so happy I left that vile excuse of a state.

Thanks! Seems that we're both partially right. What that seems to say and what information on their site states is that the "name" and "location" of the "maker" or trust needs to be engraved that's it in addition to the serial number. Doesn't look like the stamp number gets engraved but rather the name and location.

Then there The Truth about Guns article that states what other on forums debates have stated that the markings only have to be there if and when you sell it.

Seems to be a big debate on gun forums with everyone swearing up and down one thing or another. I just go into the game, so I guess I'll end up having to contact the ATF for CYA final say on what's the proper way to do this. Too much conflicting information. Thanks for bringing this to my attention else I wouldn't have known anything about it either way.

Hopefully the whole brace thing gets overturned soon so all of us can go back to using pistols.
One way or another the pistol (handgun) used on an MCK chassis to make an SBR has to be "linked" to the ATF tax stamp #. Therefore, on any polymer-framed pistol the identifying # would have to be engraved onto the metal slide; or on an SBS engraved on the receiver according to my LGS who processes NFA items.

I decided it wasn't worth it to go the SBR/SBD route for either a braced MCK and a braced Shockwave so I went with the CAA adapter set-up, and stuck with the original Shockwave grip.

My .02

One way or another the pistol (handgun) used on an MCK chassis to make an SBR has to be "linked" to the ATF tax stamp #. Therefore, on any polymer-framed pistol the identifying # would have to be engraved onto the metal slide; or on an SBS engraved on the receiver according to my LGS who processes NFA items.

I decided it wasn't worth it to go the SBR/SBD route for either a braced MCK and a braced Shockwave so I went with the CAA adapter set-up, and stuck with the original Shockwave grip.

My .02
I believe what threw me off was listening to other publications and YouTube personalities talk about SBR's during the brace forbearance. It was just told to me that anyone who did a form one during the brace amnesty period didn't need to engrave any and could adopt the engravings of the manufacturer.

Form 1's filed under the forbearance for pistols with arm braces are not required to have any makers engravings.
There shouldn't be any conflicting information because ATF has had this on their website for months:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/onc...k-firearm-i-manufactured-short-barreled-rifle

You are correct that now everyone has to add their info (name and location) to the gun. Yea, it's not worth it now, but would have been during the amnesty period.

I believe what threw me off was listening to other publications and YouTube personalities talk about SBR's during the brace forbearance. It was just told to me that anyone who did a form one during the brace amnesty period didn't need to engrave any and could adopt the engravings of the manufacturer.

You are correct that now everyone has to add their info (name and location) to the gun. Yea, it's not worth it now, but would have been during the amnesty period.
Yea, my frame of reference is only the MCK system, and initial thinking about keeping a brace set-up on a Shockwave, but the hassle isn't worth it.

The new MCK adapter + single point sling works pretty well once one gets used to it.

Good luck on anything you're trying to figure out.

Guess you have never been to Texas 🙂

View attachment 41388
Well, your Kalicommies came to Austin, so I guess you're right.
No state is perfect .
You can have them back, BTW 🤠
Texas isn't as free as you think. ;)

You want all the fReEdUms...move to Mississippi. :p

Good luck with your own power grid too!

And hey, I'm just playing around.

I too wish we had a bit more laxed laws aka handgun roster to be gone. Ugh...so dumb.

Texas isn't as free as you think. ;)

You want all the fReEdUms...move to Mississippi. :p

Good luck with your own power grid too!

And hey, I'm just playing around.

I too wish we had a bit more laxed laws aka handgun roster to be gone. Ugh...so dumb.
You noticed that the only laws that apply are the ones in dark blue right ? The rest of those laws are laws that Texas doesn't have. Hell, their gun laws are almost as 2A friendly as Missouri's. :cool:

Yea, my frame of reference is only the MCK system, and initial thinking about keeping a brace set-up on a Shockwave, but the hassle isn't worth it.

The new MCK adapter + single point sling works pretty well once one gets used to it.

Good luck on anything you're trying to figure out
I agree it's not worth it. I wanted to get a similar setup for my APX but it's not worth the trouble. Hopefully the rule will be thrown out nationwide like the "ghost gun" rule was. 🤞

Fair enough.

Still doesn't make me want to live or visit Texas. LOL
Well everything ain’t for everybody.

I lived in Buena Park for a couple years in the 80s. I do have to go to the Santa Cruz mountains soon and visit an old friend before he dies, but other than that I will never willingly enter Kalifornia.
I understand why people are leaving, what I don’t understand is why they try to Kaliforniaize their new cities and states after they move out. If it’s so great, please stay there.

Back