testtest

LOOKING FOR DA/SA PISTOL

I'm an old fart, not in the best of health but I still have an itch for a good 9mm DA/SA pistol. I ordered a Sig P-229, but cancelled the order within minutes. Still can't make up my mind. These type pistols generally have long, heavy DA pulls and not so great SA. Any suggestions??
A P229 with a SRT trigger is one of the nicest factory SA/DA triggers out there. I’d highly recommend a Legion P229.

Otherwise, go for the high end CZ TSO’s (or other race gun options…can’t keep track of them all).

I like HK’s Match triggers in the USP’s, but I can’t claim they are nearly as nice as the Sig or CZ.

If you're looking for something in the Compact 3.9" barrel range, the P229 is definitely one of the best options available, imo. The CZ Compact line are also worth looking at, and if you're willing to do a little minor gunsmithing and install a few upgrades, you can turn them into really great pistols quite easily.

Yes, by nature DA/SA pistols have long, heavy DA pulls. But I have also found (having owned many DA/SA pistols over the years) that they can come from the factory with heavier pulls than truly necessary. I will usually swap out hammer springs until I'm getting about a #8-10 DA pull, and fully testing with carry ammo to make sure it is still 100% reliable, of course. But in my experience, I have not had issues lightening up the DA to that poundage.

SA pulls can be quite good to very good. Like Hans said, a Sig classic P-series with SRT trigger will give a very nice, crisp break and short reset - far better than any striker trigger in my experience.

The Sig 229 you ordered is probably as good a choice as any. You can change out the hammer spring on it to lower the DA pull. Or you could send it to Robert Burke, The Sig Armorer, to do a whole number on it.

The HK P30 series is pretty decent and is easy to do a hammer spring swap to lighten the DA pull a couple of pounds. I’m not a fan of their curved trigger, but the DA/SA is pretty good. They also do a LEM (Law Enforcement Module) trigger, which is kind of hard to explain, but is a long, but very light Double Action only pull. It is designed so that it can’t be accidentally pulled because of the length of the pull. A lot of HK folks swear by it and I can say that once you get used to it it is pretty nice.

I recently picked up a CZ P07 which is comparable in size to the 229 which has a 10lb DA pull and a 5.5lb SA pull. I installed an MCarbo trigger kit which significantly reduces both. It is a great gun and I have put it into my carry rotation.

A P229 with a SRT trigger is one of the nicest factory SA/DA triggers out there. I’d highly recommend a Legion P229.

Otherwise, go for the high end CZ TSO’s (or other race gun options…can’t keep track of them all).

I like HK’s Match triggers in the USP’s, but I can’t claim they are nearly as nice as the Sig or CZ.
I've always liked Sig handguns, was the reason I ordered the P-2229. I got to thinking there might be others, as I haven't kept up with the guns in the marketplace today. Thanks

Get out of my head. Your post popped in right as I posted mine. 😎🙄

I love my Sig P226 Legion SAO.
I have the Sig P229 pro in DA/SA - I'm kind of meh on it as a shooter (love it otherwise). At this point, I'm kinda second guessing that purchase - wishing I would have picked up a P229 Legion SAO (to go with the P226).

1703712149702.png

I've always liked Sig handguns, was the reason I ordered the P-2229. I got to thinking there might be others, as I haven't kept up with the guns in the marketplace today. Thanks

Were there specific reasons you backed off the P229, or just holding off to do more homework on other options?

What I will say is noticeably different between my P229 and my CZ PCR is that the latter is slimmer and I like the ergos of the CZ quite a bit more. But that is obviously going to be somewhat subjective, and you'd really have to handle both of them to see which fits your hand best.

Both are very reliable options and proven designs that have seen lots of professional use all over the world.

The Sig 229 you ordered is probably as good a choice as any. You can change out the hammer spring on it to lower the DA pull. Or you could send it to Robert Burke, The Sig Armorer, to do a whole number on it.

The HK P30 series is pretty decent and is easy to do a hammer spring swap to lighten the DA pull a couple of pounds. I’m not a fan of their curved trigger, but the DA/SA is pretty good. They also do a LEM (Law Enforcement Module) trigger, which is kind of hard to explain, but is a long, but very light Double Action only pull. It is designed so that it can’t be accidentally pulled because of the length of the pull. A lot of HK folks swear by it and I can say that once you get used to it it is pretty nice.

I recently picked up a CZ P07 which is comparable in size to the 229 which has a 10lb DA pull and a 5.5lb SA pull. I installed an MCarbo trigger kit which significantly reduces both. It is a great gun and I have put it into my carry rotation.
A buddy has a Cajunized P09 that’s pretty dang nice…

Thanks to you all, starting my research on your suggestions. It looks like the Sig P-229 is the majority suggestion.
Honestly? You won’t go wrong.

The only way to do better would be to find a S&W Performance Center model 3rd Gen…59xx, 69xx, etc…but those are few & far between, and STUPID expensive.

But if you can find one…usually a 5-6#, smooth & clean DA trigger with a 2-3# SA trigger.

I have ran Sigs both as agency issues and personal guns. I highly recommend the Legion Series it has everything and then some.

Also while it’s a hammer fired I have been running an HK 45 with an LEM trigger I really really like the LEM. You can get the LEM trigger on any of HK Hammer fired pistols, P30. p2000 USP or HK 45.

LEM has the travel of a DA but zero weight and breaks like a single action. Then when it fired the hammer is cocked and a single trigger. Then it de cocks on its own

I'm an old fart, not in the best of health but I still have an itch for a good 9mm DA/SA pistol. I ordered a Sig P-229, but cancelled the order within minutes. Still can't make up my mind. These type pistols generally have long, heavy DA pulls and not so great SA. Any suggestions??
Beretta's 92FS...i switched out the Hammer D spring, which lightened up the trigger pull..on the black Italian made one, and i also switched out the "plastic" trigger for a steel one....and the plastic guide rod,.......the USA built 92, all i did was replace the Hammer D spring, as that trigger was steel. guide rod was steel.

each Beretta was priced at under $700, parts (from Beretta) was maybe all of $40? extra..??

1703717207899.png

Back