testtest

M1A Scout Squad — Worth the Hype?

The Scout retains the original gas system length, thus it's just a shortened standard.

That makes it a bit more handy, more reliable and maneuverable.

I don't have a SOCOM, and never will since my Scout is just as handy and I don't have to lose velocity which is needed for my AOPS, & have deal with the extra muzzle blast. I replaced the factory MB with the standard flash hider in mine.

My .02

My only issue with the M1 is lack of picatinny rail support. The option to mount a thermal, red dot and 3x plus accessories is not there. Granted its a true battle rifle, this microscopic afterthought of rail and scope mount does not do it for me.

My only issue with the M1 is lack of picatinny rail support. The option to mount a thermal, red dot and 3x plus accessories is not there. Granted its a true battle rifle, this microscopic afterthought of rail and scope mount does not do it for me.

The aftermarket address those points.

Ultimak M1A Forward scout scope mount

What I have on my Scout.

DSCF3803.JPG

Plenty of room for accessories.

Last edited:
Here is my Scout. Mounted the M1A rail with a Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-HUD-DMR-308/223. It has low profile QD rings. It has a CVLIFE Carbon Fiber Bipod attached to a bipod adapter. It also has the Wsobue Rifle Buttstock Tactical Cheek Rest Pad.

At my age, I do not think that I could use a scout scope, but I may try it someday.
m1A (2).jpg

Here is my Scout. Mounted the M1A rail with a Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-HUD-DMR-308/223. It has low profile QD rings. It has a CVLIFE Carbon Fiber Bipod attached to a bipod adapter. It also has the Wsobue Rifle Buttstock Tactical Cheek Rest Pad.

At my age, I do not think that I could use a scout scope, but I may try it someday.
View attachment 10077
Good looking weapon sir!!

Fabulous...

So my particular dilemma is that I was dead set on purchasing a new SOCOM 16 but then I've now seen some superb Scout Squad rifles.

I already have a great "truck gun" in my Saint Victor .308 pistol with it's 10" barrel, so do I stick with the planned 16" SOCOM or do I refocus on the 18" Scout?

I plead my battle rifle case to you, my esteemed "S.A. Enablers"... THX

Attachments

• 20220726_102245.jpg
    20220726_102245.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 184
Fabulous...

So my particular dilemma is that I was dead set on purchasing a new SOCOM 16 but then I've now seen some superb Scout Squad rifles.

I already have a great "truck gun" in my Saint Victor .308 pistol with it's 10" barrel, so do I stick with the planned 16" SOCOM or do I refocus on the 18" Scout?

I plead my battle rifle case to you, my esteemed "S.A. Enablers"... THX
Going for distance or close/mid range ?
I like .308 in the longer barrels for shooting at mid-farther distances.
I’d go 18” Scout personally, as I think .308 does better with the barrel length.
Look at all the .308 battle rifles like FAL, M14 ( original), FN and such. Longer barrels

I guess something between 100-300yds, as I'm using my MR762A1 for 300-800yds and my Saint Victor .308 pistol for 50-100yds.

I know the SOCOM 16 can do most anything and I love the 16" barrel, but the gas set up is not "standard" and I'm not sure about it's 200-300yds performance. I can purchase 7.62mm ammo for half the price of regular .308 ammo here on base, so I'm moving more towards rifles that support it over 5.56mm/.223.

I'm checking out after market support for both models, but I'm sure they're both excellent as is.

The Scout retains the original gas system length, thus it's just a shortened standard.

That makes it a bit more handy, more reliable and maneuverable.

I don't have a SOCOM, and never will since my Scout is just as handy and I don't have to lose velocity which is needed for my AOPS, & have deal with the extra muzzle blast. I replaced the factory MB with the standard flash hider in mine.

My .02
Did the standard flash hider help tame recoil?

Back