testtest

My Unpopular Opinion: Don’t Customize Your Gun

I don't buy $2k Gucci AR15s. I rather build my own to meet my personal standards, or even buy a $500-$700 AR and upgrade what needs to be updated. The entire purpose and appeal of the AR15 platform is it's modularity and customizability.

If someone wants to add an extra $1k in accessories to their $600 Glock, so what? All that matters is that they're happy with it. It's their money and they're the ones shooting it, so it's no skin off of my teeth. As far as my handguns go, I have used aftermarket thread and conversion barrels, triggers, recoil spring assemblies, extended mag release and slide stops, increased power mag springs, and magwells.

The firearm aftermarket is a multi-billion dollar industry, and that's not going to change any time soon. Not every firearm is one size fits all, so I see absolutely nothing wrong with gun owners who want to customize their firearms to fit their needs and personal taste.

Hmm, a bit of a mixed bag of mods or no mods, to keep the original format the gun came in. Went with a IWI Tavor and had to use the Mepro red dot because it too is Israel and weapon accurate. With the Saint Victor, LPVO, nothing more. The WWI and WWII and Soviet SKS, original all the way, no brakes, no muzzle devices. No changes to the post 94 ban guns (that is a hard one not to return to common sense). Pre-ban left alone as well, in original configuration.

Death motto's, skulls, notches or whatever on none of them... Ones I have built, different story, but conservative to there intended function. Thus removable blast deflectors for the obnoxious muzzle devices for the cans. Trigger changes on the Range Toys only, but defense guns will remain mil-spec.

Ammo deserves a mention as well. In that reloads/hand-loads are for practice and target only, for the same reasons as mods. Could be viewed as some miracle enhancement to kill with a weapon doing what it intended to do, more efficiently than Society or stacked Jury deems acceptable...

As far as bolted on a scope that cost more than the rifle, well kinda guilty as it sometimes equals...

Last edited:
I remember an article written by mister Ayoob in " Guns " magazine iirc probably 30 years ago, he was explaining the litigious dangers of modding a trigger in any way. He explained how jury lawyers at that time would have your firearm inspected and evaluated for aftermarket goodies that might make a lethal tool more efficient. Then they would paint you as a trigger happy nutjob looking for an opportunity to kill.
He even went on to say that they would use it against you in your own home defending yourself from the badguys. It was well written so even someone like me could understand. I've taken that and used it as my "model " throughout. I'll change grips, sights and furniture but never any part of the fire control group. Only factory parts.
Just my opinion

I remember an article written by mister Ayoob in " Guns " magazine iirc probably 30 years ago, he was explaining the litigious dangers of modding a trigger in any way. He explained how jury lawyers at that time would have your firearm inspected and evaluated for aftermarket goodies that might make a lethal tool more efficient. Then they would paint you as a trigger happy nutjob looking for an opportunity to kill.
He even went on to say that they would use it against you in your own home defending yourself from the badguys. It was well written so even someone like me could understand. I've taken that and used it as my "model " throughout. I'll change grips, sights and furniture but never any part of the fire control group. Only factory parts.
Just my opinion
So it’s been 30 years or so. Can you show me one single example of that actually happening ?

I’ll give you a hint. You can’t. Neither could Ayoob when I asked him to.

So it’s been 30 years or so. Can you show me one single example of that actually happening ?

I’ll give you a hint. You can’t. Neither could Ayoob when I asked him to.
Everyone uses one example from decades ago that if they looked into it they’d know it fell on its face when it was initially brought up and the initial argument didn’t even make it out of the courtroom that day. It’s fudd lore and design or personal taste (or lack there of) doesn’t initiate action or intent. The “Smile, wait for flash” engraving on the crown of a barrel doesn’t show intent or personality traits other than an odd sense of humor and doesn’t incriminate the owner of the weapon in any way. Now if you’re putting racist or antisemitic things on a weapon it’s not a good idea but again it’s not illegal (1st amendment) but it wouldn’t exactly help your case if you ever got in trouble using that firearm. It’s not incriminating in and of itself but it would lead to an attorney digging into your background and history to show a trend in behavior.

Just my opinion
By the same logic, owning the gun unto itself would paint you as a trigger happy nutjob because you bought a firearm .
What if the firearm comes from the manufacturer with an enhanced trigger and accessories, which most do ?

Everyone uses one example from decades ago that if they looked into it they’d know it fell on its face when it was initially brought up and the initial argument didn’t even make it out of the courtroom that day. It’s fudd lore and design or personal taste (or lack there of) doesn’t initiate action or intent. The “Smile, wait for flash” engraving on the crown of a barrel doesn’t show intent or personality traits other than an odd sense of humor and doesn’t incriminate the owner of the weapon in any way. Now if you’re putting racist or antisemitic things on a weapon it’s not a good idea but again it’s not illegal (1st amendment) but it wouldn’t exactly help your case if you ever got in trouble using that firearm. It’s not incriminating in and of itself but it would lead to an attorney digging into your background and history to show a trend in behavior.
You talking about the cop with his personal weapon that said "You're F'ed" on it ? Yeah, cops are held to a different standard and should be, so that don't count.

That said, I personally wouldn't put any of that kind of crap on my guns. Not because I fear the bogeyman, but because I don't particularly want any writing or sayings on any of my firearms. So no "Smile, wait for flash" or "enemy >" or other stupid slogans on dust covers. I was going to put a dust cover with the Mandalorian helmet on my latest 5.56, but the only ones I could find also had a slogan on it. " I can bring you in warm or I can bring you in cold". It's not what it says though, it's just I don't want writing of any kind. Now if I could find one that said "Wilson Combat" on it I would do it because I used all Wilson Combat stuff on that gun.

That was one of the best articles I've read in a LONG time. The author carefully detailed not only WHY but HOW he came to his conclusion--one that I've shared since shortly after I "finished" my first full-custom 1911 back in the mid-'70s. :oops:

Unpopular opinion? I simply don't care. Having achieved the status of Auld Phart, I have reached an AWESOME level of DGAF. For example, I spent the morning riding THIS around my neighborhood. It's an all-original, unmodified, unmolested, unrestored, barn-find '74 Schwinn StingRay. I've discovered to my delight that it's almost a guaranteed conversation-starter and new-friend-maker wherever I ride it. And anybody who thinks I look stupid or silly on it can just kiss my ass. ;):LOL:

View attachment 39530
View attachment 39531
I had one of those when I was a kid. Mine was metal-flake green. That's the bike I used for home-made ramp jumping.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “My Unpopular Opinion: Don’t Customize Your Gun” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/my-unpopular-opinion-dont-customize-your-gun/.

Good article. I think nowadays you can buy a firearm with the modifications that you want. I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 with night sites and I don't plan on doing any other modifications to it.

Back in my motorcycle riding days some guys would spend hours modifying their motorcycles or adding accessories and then get upset when they only got a 10 to 20% return on the money they spent on the accessories when they sold the motorcycle.

I bought a few accessories for my Harley Softail Custom when I saw them for sale in the bargain bin at my local Harley Davidson dealer. Thank goodness the internet wasn't around back then I might have been tempted to buy more motorcycle stuff..:)

Nowadays that I'm retired and on a tighter budget I have to be picky about what I spend money on. And accessories for firearms aren't very high on the list. But that $25 knife on Amazon is too good to pass up...ooops...:)

Good article. I think nowadays you can buy a firearm with the modifications that you want. I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 with night sites and I don't plan on doing any other modifications to it.

Back in my motorcycle riding days some guys would spend hours modifying their motorcycles or adding accessories and then get upset when they only got a 10 to 20% return on the money they spent on the accessories when they sold the motorcycle.

I bought a few accessories for my Harley Softail Custom when I saw them for sale in the bargain bin at my local Harley Davidson dealer. Thank goodness the internet wasn't around back then I might have been tempted to buy more motorcycle stuff..:)

Nowadays that I'm retired and on a tighter budget I have to be picky about what I spend money on. And accessories for firearms aren't very high on the list. But that $25 knife on Amazon is too good to pass up...ooops...:)
The kid on my truck with me now showed me a knife he brought back from Afghanistan. He was an MP and they confiscated an ammo crate full of these knives from Air Force guys. He got to keep one. It's a Benchmade Infidel with their unit insignia on it. I'm considering saving some money on one by knocking the crap out of him and taking his knife. :ROFLMAO:

When it comes to my EDC gun, I agree with the author, and it's precisely for the potential Legal issues such modifications could count against me in court. The same thing with ammo. I can build a load that performs better than most self defense ammo on the market, but even though I know of No Court Cases where that's been a factor, the potential that some scum sucking bottom dweller Prosecutor could go that route is there.
My first AR (on the other hand), a DPMS Oracle, has been extensively modified. The Oracle was DPMSs Bare Budget gun. Having zero experience with the platform I bought it because some friends recommended it. It was a bad choice as the gun performed mediocre at best. It was a good learning experience, but an expensive one, as I ended up spending more on parts to turn it into a decent rifle, than I spent in the gun to begin with (bought it for $470, but I spent $600+ on parts). Now, all that remains of the original gun are the upper and lower Receivers. Everything else down to springs and detents has been replaced. I use my experience to point out to others frequently to spend a little more the first time around. Still, it was a good learning experience, and it helped make me really familiar with the platform, so I'm not complaining.
In a nutshell though, I believe the Author's right about customizing, and if you carry, it's something one needs to take into account the potential of negative legal implications customizing might effect.

I also recently purchased a Saint Edge and agree with the author, but to a point. I did a lot of reading & research before deciding that the Edge had the best bang-for-the-buck and that Springfield had homerun'd this rifle with all the right stuff, so that I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade anything. And she's been a joy to use, leaving me with no desire to upgrade her, besides a couple of scopes for various range activities.

On the other hand, I do like to buy more generic & lesser cost AR's, just because I want to customize & upgrade them for the pleasure and hobby of it. Like cars, you can buy a properly restored factory-spec classic Mustang and not change a thing because she's right the way she is...and also buy a beaten Mustang, just for the pleasure of restoring/customizing her for your pleasure.

And sure, upgrading/customizing an AR or Mustang will usually lighten your bank account, with no ROI to justify it...but we do it because that's what we like to do. Some people like to home-brew beer in their garage, some people collect comic books, some people sink ridiculous money into gaming computers, etc. Whatever it is that makes us smile...and it keeps us out of trouble...most of the time. :cool:

Oops.
IMG_8895.jpg

Back