testtest

Off To The Doctor Today

A follow up to my shoulder pain is after a doctors visit to find out how I’m doing after the cortisone shot, is well
“no change” cortisone shots “I was told”
Will last about 3 months, the help I got from mine lasted 1 month.
Today I had an MRI done and surprisingly I was given a CD of the exam.
I haven’t looked at it yet and frankly I’m not sure I would know what I’m looking at anyway.
I will say the doctor coordinating my treatment is already talking surgery.
my bro-in-law goes next month to get his rotator cuff repaired. MRI showed a tear, doctor said it musta happened years ago....he'll be out of work for like 6 to 8 months, with his arm strapped to his body he was told, for about that long a time.

@Keystone19250

yeah.......so be prepared.....it's done as outpatient surgery, laparoscopy???

bro-in-law was told he'd be sitting in a chair, not laying flat on an O.R. table.

for Schlitz and giggles, play the DVD/CD....

you cannot erase anything..........heck, you may even see the problem

your doctor will show you, when you are there for the consultation.

if you cannot play that DVD/CD.???

call for a 5 year old...those SOB's can figure out anything........:ROFLMAO:

don't ask me how i know........:LOL:

his operation will actually take place at the doctors office. they have O.R. capabilities there, so no pay for parking, no high dollar surgery expenses, etc. just the usual fee's.

the big hospital here, has pay parking.....then try and find.....parking.

this works out so much better for them.

quicker too, over the hospital.

A follow up to my shoulder pain is after a doctors visit to find out how I’m doing after the cortisone shot, is well
I haven’t looked at it yet and frankly I’m not sure I would know what I’m looking at anyway.
Surgery, wince:/….
Good luck to you !
All i can add is that, personally, if the doc is fairly certain it’ll be FIXED , then I go that route and take some discomfort & inconvenience…repeating cortisone or any other shot/treatment never has appealed to me…

Sorry to hear this Keystone. Cortisone shots didn't help for either of my shoulder's torn rotator cuffs at all (I still had pain right after both shots). Before surgery, the Doctor suggested physical therapy (the same therapy I'd have done after surgery if I went that route), so I opted for that first. It took 2 months going in 3 times a week for a hour plus of different exercises that stretched the muscles out (plus similar exercises I did on the off days at home). I was extremely skeptical that PT would help, but low and behold, I was able to get back close to 100% movement in both shoulders and have been pain free since for over 10 years. Obviously, the doctor know best in your case, but if you haven't tried PT, you may want to discuss it with the doctor if that's an alternative.

They do these shots the brother of a doctor I had helped develop. They take stem cells from your stomach, spin them in a centrifuge or something and then inject them in all the places typically cortizone shots go. It's supposed to work very well. The problem is insurance doesn't cover it and it's $600 per shot.

Good luck Keystone, I hope you get it all sorted out soon brother.

Sorry to hear this Keystone. Cortisone shots didn't help for either of my shoulder's torn rotator cuffs at all (I still had pain right after both shots). Before surgery, the Doctor suggested physical therapy (the same therapy I'd have done after surgery if I went that route), so I opted for that first. It took 2 months going in 3 times a week for a hour plus of different exercises that stretched the muscles out (plus similar exercises I did on the off days at home). I was extremely skeptical that PT would help, but low and behold, I was able to get back close to 100% movement in both shoulders and have been pain free since for over 10 years. Obviously, the doctor know best in your case, but if you haven't tried PT, you may want to discuss it with the doctor if that's an alternative.
I will definitely be going to try PT before surgery since I’ve heard to many nightmarish reports from friends who have gone through it.

Hang in there keystone!!!

my bro-in-law goes next month to get his rotator cuff repaired. MRI showed a tear, doctor said it musta happened years ago....he'll be out of work for like 6 to 8 months, with his arm strapped to his body he was told, for about that long a time.
I had both shoulders rotator cuffs repaired and recovery was 6-8 weeks depending on physical makeup. The brace came off after a couple of weeks.

I had both shoulders rotator cuffs repaired and recovery was 6-8 weeks depending on physical makeup. The brace came off after a couple of weeks.
well, you got lucky. my bro-in-laws doctor said, 6 to 8 months.

he's in his late 50's, maybe even has some arthritis there as well. could also be dependent on how much repair work the doctor has to do.

i hope my bro-in-law, bought that extra warranty all those robo calls bug him about....

Last edited:
well, you got lucky. my bro-in-laws doctor said, 6 to 8 months.

he's in his late 50's, maybe even has some arthritis there as well. could also be dependent on how much repair work the doctor has to do.

i hope my bro-in-law, bought that extra warranty all those robo calls bug him about....
Yeah, I was in my early 40s. Wish him a speedy recovery.

So following my MRI on Saturday it’s been discovered that I do have a significant Rotator Cuff Tear in my left shoulder however it’s been determined it’s an old tear that may not be a candidate for surgery. I have an upcoming appointment scheduled with a doctor/surgeon on 4/13
The saga continues.

So following my MRI on Saturday it’s been discovered that I do have a significant Rotator Cuff Tear in my left shoulder however it’s been determined it’s an old tear that may not be a candidate for surgery. I have an upcoming appointment scheduled with a doctor/surgeon on 4/13
The saga continues.
Be good keystone if you didn’t need surgery maybe just PT good luck bro

The saga continues.
i cannot tell you the tear my BIL has, but it as i mentioned, does need surgery.

personally, this will never get better, as you will continue to go about your daily business/routines.

i know that when i was told i needed an operation for whatever, and i HAVE HAD a few, the first few questions i ask the doctor are...

1) how soon can you do this?

2) can it be done here at your office, or at the hospital?

3) on average, how long till i can get back to work..(now that i am retired, i could care less about that)'

and these are the MOST important questions that i MUST ask

4) do i get a lollipop afterwards?

5) can i play the pianny..???

6) will my voice change..??

7) can i eat anything i want..??

here are his answers..

4) what the hell are you a baby.??

5) can you play the piano now..??

6) yes, your voice will change, cuz your wife will squeeze your testicles if you don't show up

7) yes, you can eat anything you want, just don't touch my tofu salad.....

So I had my appointment with the surgeon this morning and found out some very interesting information.
Based on the MRI I do have extensive arthritis in my left shoulder, I also have what the MRI shows is the result of a major tear in my rotator cuff that happened years ago, the proof being the tendons are no longer attached to where they should be and have shrunk away for where they would normally be attached and the subsequent muscle in the same area has diminished. The space from where the tendons and muscle was has been replaced by a fatty substance which not reversible.

I was given three options.

Physical therapy, no guarantee at diminishing the level of pain or increase in range of motion. Cortisone shots and pain meds.

Have surgery to attempt to repair what is showing to be un-repairable. Rehab from that surgery 6-8 months. No guarantee except the probability of redoing the surgery in 2-3 years.
Arthritis still present not fixable.

Surgery to replace the shoulder, as it is now the ball of the shoulder joint is at the top of the upper arm bone, the cup is above that, the replacement would be the cup would be attached to the upper arm and the ball would now be attached to the upper shoulder.
Recovery time two months.
Significant decrease/eliminate the current pain and increased range of motion.
Elimination of current arthritis.
One and done.

Decision. #3
Kind of a no brainer.

So I had my appointment with the surgeon this morning and found out some very interesting information.
Based on the MRI I do have extensive arthritis in my left shoulder, I also have what the MRI shows is the result of a major tear in my rotator cuff that happened years ago, the proof being the tendons are no longer attached to where they should be and have shrunk away for where they would normally be attached and the subsequent muscle in the same area has diminished. The space from where the tendons and muscle was has been replaced by a fatty substance which not reversible.

Physical therapy, no guarantee at diminishing the level of pain or increase in range of motion. Cortisone shots and pain meds.

Have surgery to attempt to repair what is showing to be un-repairable. Rehab from that surgery 6-8 months. No guarantee except the probability of redoing the surgery in 2-3 years.

Surgery to replace the shoulder, as it is now the ball of the shoulder joint is at the top of the upper arm bone, the cup is above that, the replacement would be the cup would be attached to the upper arm and the ball would now be attached to the upper shoulder.
One and done.

Decision. #3
Kind of a no brainer.
I concur.

One and done.

Decision. #3
Kind of a no brainer.
Definitely 3

Back