testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

ok, my Tite Group powder just arrived.

i am curious as to why it specifies "Winchester" brass..??? and Federal primers..??

thanks in advance

Your search returned 2 loads
Twist:
1:16.000"
Barrel Length: 5.000"
Trim Length: 0.893"
BULLET WEIGHT
230 GR. HDY FMJ FP
CASE
WINCHESTER
PRIMER
FEDERAL 150, LARGE PISTOL

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
HodgdonTitegroupBUY NOW0.451"1.200"4.474415,000 CUP4.881816,700 CUP
BULLET WEIGHT
230 GR. LRN
CASE
WINCHESTER
PRIMER
FEDERAL 150, LARGE PISTOL

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
HodgdonTitegroupBUY NOW0.452"1.200"4.075112,500 CUP4.885517,000 CUP

They typically publish only the exact components they have used/tested for liability issues. The reloader can often use a little different component than that listed at his/her own risk and usually won't have any problem. However, if there is any problem whether using 'like kind' components or not, it helps keep the publisher in the clear to some extent.

Be cautious, be safe.

They typically publish only the exact components they have used/tested for liability issues. The reloader can often use a little different component than that listed at his/her own risk and usually won't have any problem. However, if there is any problem whether using 'like kind' components or not, it helps keep the publisher in the clear to some extent.

Be cautious, be safe.
ok, got it......only asked because in the Lyman book, it did not specify brass nor primer to use, just the charge.

In my 50th Lyman manual it shows Federal and Remington cases and Reminton 2 1/2 and CCI primers on the 45 ACP first page under componets.

On the pages with loads, it has "Notes" at the bottom that show which loads used Federal cases and CCI primers.

On the cast bullet page it shows *Tightgroup used CCI primers, except for the 180 gr.

Bullseye is usually considered to burn pretty dirty especially in low pressure loads. Sometimes it can be cleaned up a little by increasing the charge (within safe limits) and sometimes even increasing the crimp slightly. This might help increase pressure inside the case during the pressure curve buildup and helps burn all the powder. The unburned flakes are what you're seeing as "black specs".
ok, what i did earlier today, was to tighten the crimp on both the Lee and Dillon presses.

of course, i will not know if this is "the cure" until i make up some more reloads, which in fact, might take place this thursday, or the weekend for sure.

I wouldn't worry about a few unburnt flakes of powder unless the gun is spraying it out in quantity. Light loads make for cheap shooting, so as long as you are using listed loads, it won't be a problem. Lead bullets do not need as much powder for a given bullet weight and there are warnings for going too light with jacketed ammo. Magnum primers aren't an issue unless you are approaching maximum loads and may ensure cleaner burning. Some primers are listed as standard and magnum which sounds improbable. :oops: Tite Group does produce a sharper recoil as some I shoot with report, probably not enough to notice until using upper powder weights.
I finished off an 8 lb. can of Bullseye and am using up partial containers from the cabinet. At the moment, using American Select for .38 Special.

I wouldn't worry about a few unburnt flakes of powder unless the gun is spraying it out in quantity. Light loads make for cheap shooting, so as long as you are using listed loads, it won't be a problem. Lead bullets do not need as much powder for a given bullet weight and there are warnings for going too light with jacketed ammo. Magnum primers aren't an issue unless you are approaching maximum loads and may ensure cleaner burning. Some primers are listed as standard and magnum which sounds improbable. :oops: Tite Group does produce a sharper recoil as some I shoot with report, probably not enough to notice until using upper powder weights.
I finished off an 8 lb. can of Bullseye and am using up partial containers from the cabinet. At the moment, using American Select for .38 Special.
thanks

well, i had the Dillon all set up from the other day.

i went to the basement this morning as it is a raw, damp day, and gonna get very windy and rainy later..

i went ahead and ran the case cleaner and polishing machines, this time for at least 1 hour each.

i got the 230 gr bullets and shell casings ready, and loaded up the blast tube with primers.....frankly, the Dillon primer system scores big here with me on that design....

then i "got busy", and cranked out some 45 ACP.

i did have a "few issues" however with this Dillon..

1 st, you really cannot have your hand on the pull handle while you try to rotate the shell plate, as the primer cup rises just enough to stop the rotation...

2 nd, sometimes the spent primer cups don't fall into the catch cup, and land on the floor

3 rd, sometimes when inserting a new primer cup, you gotta really push hard on the handle to seat it

4 th, sometimes the decapper worked great, others it just didn't, so a simple adjustment there, and they all popped out. strange how "all of a sudden" it just did not pop out the spent primers, and yes, i was also checking the decapper rod for rising up in the die, and it did not.

i suppose some "tweaking" is to be expected, and i'll work with that.

i had "planned" on only producing 100 rounds, but ended up making 200. ( iwas finding my groove)

took me all of about 2.5 hours to do so, including taking time to work the case cleaning and polishing machines

compared to nearly 3 hours to produce just 50 rounds on the Lee, doing the case preps there as well. (but it was also the first time on the Lee)

i was going to reach 500 rounds, then go to at least 1,000, and decide to stop or produce more....

just don't wanna go thru all those primers too quick.

i still have several more cases to process, i really should finish those, rather that to multi-task while i am reloading.

i had filled up the powder hopper about 1/2 way..??

dang thing didn't really go down much..!!!

all in all, it was time well spent this morning, and i am looking forward to now getting back to the Lee and make some more, maybe this weekend.

this time too, i will "try" using it in "progressive mode"...albeit...S-L-O-W-L-Y...!!!!

With more time, you'll get used to the sounds and feel of the machine and your speed will naturally increase. You'll figure out the ways of it all and the quirks and your comfort level will rise.
There is a saying by reloaders: you don't save money reloading, but you can shoot more for the same amount you spend. ;)

With more time, you'll get used to the sounds and feel of the machine and your speed will naturally increase. You'll figure out the ways of it all and the quirks and your comfort level will rise.
There is a saying by reloaders: you don't save money reloading, but you can shoot more for the same amount you spend. ;)
yeah thanks...in fact, the past 2 days now, i have made 400 rounds. 200 on the Dillon, and 200 on the Lee.

i was going to try to use the Less as a progressive, well that didn't work. i bought that "collator" that connects to the case feeding tubes, that works as far as dumping the cases down the tubes.

however, there is a traffic jam at the bottom. and yes, 1 tube at a time feeds into the "push bar", but i found it easier and faster to continue to use the Lee as a "single" cartridge reloader, by just removing the feeding tubes.

then too, that neat trick on placing the plastic piece inside that primer device? it does work, each and every time...no primers on the floor.

this "collator" works, but until i can "master" the Lee, i'll just reload 1 cartridge at a time, in fact i have picked up some speed.

1665785860356.png

goal reached...500 rounds of 45 ACP in the book. (literally, jotted down all information, in the Dillon logbook)

next goal, will be another 500 done for next weekend.

i gotta give Dillon a call monday, i'm gonna want replacement screws for the assembly #14280....the are 2 tiny screws which hold this part into place, under the shell plate rotator.???

i cannot give just a really good description, so here is a pic...

they are # 14013 in the circled diagram

1665951504907.png

this is the piece where you place the empty shell into the first opening for the start of the rotation.....that whole piece (that also has the drop chute for the spent primers) was very loose, and i tried to tighten the screws, they are TINY Torx screws, with very little depth to them.

if i can get 2 new screws from Dillon, i'm gonna have to remove the press from the stand, and work on it as it is laying sideways on my bench...then i'm gonna use Loctite, maybe Blue on them and tighten them.

it was rather difficult to tighten those screws upside down

ok, under the "suggestion" from @jumpinjoe , i did indeed tighten the crimp die on both the Lee and Dillon presses.

today, i took a box of 50, 45 ACP that were made on the Lee with that added crimp. (this box was a recent reload, with that tighter crimp)

there was only a "tiny amount" of flakes on the shooting bench, clearly a huge improvement over the past.

as yet another suggestion, the RSO who reloads as well, "suggested" maybe to go about 1/4 turn more, which i very well may.

as it stands, the target i am going to post, was from today, 50 rounds, at 7 yds, this time not using my "crash test dummy" Tisas Tanker, but my S&W, Series "E". (i had a little more confidence, not cockiness in my ability)

the rounds shot very well, as i said, only a "tiny amount" of flakes.

at this time, i am as 1000% satisfied with the low starting charge (with Bullseye) of 4.0 gr.

when i switch over to Tite Group, i will stay on thier recommended starting charge as well.

i have no need for anymore than starting charges, and at the same time, the few grains i "save" over time, should (i'd assume) allow a few more rounds to be reloaded. maybe a negligible number, but still a "few more" for the price of the powder.

1666125670095.png

my heartfelt thanks and appreciation, to all of you who have advised me in the past, and i hope to ask for help in the future, for your time, and experiences, in me getting into reloading..

Glad you saw some improvement. And you will see other improvements as time goes on and experience increases. As for loading only the minimum listed loads keep in mind, any higher load within tested/listed loads will likely be just as safe as the care taken to load them.

As for saving a few flakes to load more ammo ..... that's basically an impossibility. Since you would only be increasing any load by a couple 10th's of a grn, and there are 7000 grns to a pound, you can see how little impact a small increase in any particular load would make overall. I'm not telling you to increase, just trying to shine a little light on something you may not have considered. As long as your current results satisfy you, "keep on keeping on" with what you're doing.

And finally, remember it was said here by several folks that Bullseye is notoriously dirty powder under the very best conditions. My guess is you will never eliminate every flake of unburned powder, and it's likely now that by far the majority of those you're seeing are in fact 'burned' flakes anyway.

Good luck and good shooting! (y)

Glad you saw some improvement. And you will see other improvements as time goes on and experience increases. As for loading only the minimum listed loads keep in mind, any higher load within tested/listed loads will likely be just as safe as the care taken to load them.

As for saving a few flakes to load more ammo ..... that's basically an impossibility. Since you would only be increasing any load by a couple 10th's of a grn, and there are 7000 grns to a pound, you can see how little impact a small increase in any particular load would make overall. I'm not telling you to increase, just trying to shine a little light on something you may not have considered. As long as your current results satisfy you, "keep on keeping on" with what you're doing.

And finally, remember it was said here by several folks that Bullseye is notoriously dirty powder under the very best conditions. My guess is you will never eliminate every flake of unburned powder, and it's likely now that by far the majority of those you're seeing are in fact 'burned' flakes anyway.

Good luck and good shooting! (y)
yeah joe, since i got those 2 lbs of Bullseye in the purchase of the reloading room, i want to use it all up. i don't want to have to deal with disposing it safely. cheaper to shoot it all.

yeah, i am satisfied with my results, so i'll keep it the status quo at the minimum charge.

well, i was having "issues" with my loading bench.

as you know, each time you go to set the new primer or go to crimp the bullet, we have to push the loading press handle forward to the wall.

well, my bench was "shaking" even though it IS up against the wall, and the plastic boxes on top would end up all over the place.

so i had to add a shelf....

then it was dark

1666270926996.png

i had to go to wally-world for some groceries, and i went to the lighting section, and for about $22.00.....

no more darkness

1666270992995.png

one thing that thanks to my reloading 1 cartridge at a time, is that i check to make sure that the 45 ACP's i am reloading are LPP's, as i do also sweep up brass, that may include SPP's....

but i also check the over all condition of the brass as well, and came across this one...

lousey picture, but i think you can still make out what i found..

1666271153353.png

Anchor your table to the wall. Split cases are a fact of reloading. Bell your cases only enough to start the bullet to have the best chance for a long life.
the wall is a "false" wall.....no support to keep that wall up. it was only put there like about literally 150 years ago to separate an area.

well, i was having "issues" with my loading bench.

as you know, each time you go to set the new primer or go to crimp the bullet, we have to push the loading press handle forward to the wall.

well, my bench was "shaking" even though it IS up against the wall, and the plastic boxes on top would end up all over the place.

so i had to add a shelf....

then it was dark

View attachment 31692

i had to go to wally-world for some groceries, and i went to the lighting section, and for about $22.00.....

no more darkness

View attachment 31693

one thing that thanks to my reloading 1 cartridge at a time, is that i check to make sure that the 45 ACP's i am reloading are LPP's, as i do also sweep up brass, that may include SPP's....

but i also check the over all condition of the brass as well, and came across this one...

lousey picture, but i think you can still make out what i found..

View attachment 31694
There ya go, you're noticing those reloading things that need noticing by the reloader. Take special note too of what 'youngolddude' said about "belling" the case mouth. Absolutely no more than necessary for the bullet to sit on the case mouth without falling over. The less 'belling' you do, the longer the cases will last.

As for the table, if it's not feasible to attach to the wall, how about some 'X' brases between the front/back legs. That won't help if the table/bench is really light weight, but will help a lot if it's just a little 'wobbly'.

Back