testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

1)There ya go, you're noticing those reloading things that need noticing by the reloader. Take special note too of what 'youngolddude' said about "belling" the case mouth. Absolutely no more than necessary for the bullet to sit on the case mouth without falling over. The less 'belling' you do, the longer the cases will last.

2) As for the table, if it's not feasible to attach to the wall, how about some 'X' brases between the front/back legs. That won't help if the table/bench is really light weight, but will help a lot if it's just a little 'wobbly'.
1) i actually readjusted the bell mouthing weeks ago, to a smaller flaring. the bullets just rest on top, as you say, with out falling over.

2) it is a heavy duty Husky (home depot) work bench, steel with a wooden top, and has bracing along the back and sides.

it "could be" the flooring, it is after all a house that is 170 years old, with wooden flooring in that area.

i'd have to check if the legs have holes (for bolting to the floor).

BUT........at my age, and several back surgeries, getting down on the floor is not exactly something a guy at my age can do, unless i get one of these first....

and THAT, i'd be serious about.....

i cannot get my sons here to help until maybe the weekends, and even then, i'll have to "make an appointment" to do so, as they have thier family obligations as well.

my first, 1,000 ROUNDS..!!!!!

today, i finally reached that goal.. on the Lee Pro-4000.

felt good to put that 1,000th round into that styrofoam ammo box.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on another note, i fixed that bench from moving. the legs are adjustable, so i could not bolt them down.

so all i did was "shim" the bench against that wall/brick support column.

much more solid now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back to posting # 392, where i say that the 2 tiny screws that hold the plate assembly in place..??

i had contacted Dillon, and they got back to me, they are sending me 2 new screws at no charge, next week.

they do not recommend any color Loctite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now, starting saturday......

more reloading, most likely, on that Dillon, as many as i can make in about 3-4 hours, number won't matter. but i will eventually reach 2,000.

sheesh, now i gotta order up more 230 gr bullets....

ok, i was having an issue with the Dillon today...if anyone else has a DIllon, perhaps this is specific to the 550c, then you know how annoying this is.

the spent primers "miss" the catch cup, for some ungodly known reason(s), and land on the floor, and if not the floor, then most certainly under the shell plate and between the sliding primer rod.

there is a website Etsy i think, that sells 3D printed "collars" that you "might" have to fit to the catch cup.

i have some VERY thin metal at the house, and i made up sort of a ramp, to shield those errant spent primers, and to hopefully stop the spent primers from going behind the chute, and onto the floor.

i don't know if this even works frankly, i was done reloading, and cleaning up, and found that thin metal.

now, if you can see that tiny pin hole in the metal..??

believe it or not, that is from the VERY TINY/THIN cotter pin, that holds the "jaws" of the chute..!!!

goes to show you the thinness of that metal

also, see that flat/black metal shim under the primer ram..??

is where "some" primers will end up..

1666557783658.png

1666557913211.png

1666557945291.png

i'm searching the web for solutions to this issue, if this "ramp" does not work.

Here is a link to a copmany that makes several updates for Dillion loaders-

A write up from Gun Digest:
yes, i had done a search, several in fact, and that link came up, on another gun message board..

i also found that quite a few had also said it was the thin, weak cotter pin that holds the chutes 2 jaws together, and many say to replace that cotter pin with something as simple as a paper clip, nail, or "bailing wire"..

i'm going to replace that weak cotter pin in the morning

if that does not "cure" the problem, then i will most likely contact that company.

thanks

My RL550b is about 30yrs old. I've yet to be disappointed with anything it does, with the exception that it will drop used primers on the floor from time to time. Bought one of these and walla no longer a problem.

I've had more than one person try to get me to hand prime my cases, I laugh it off. My 550 priming system has never failed me rifle or pistol.
Why make it harder?
I get in a rhythm and just go, next thing I know the primer alarm is going off, time for a reload 😉
I just put a 5 gallon bucket under it.

Uniquetek has a primer chute with plastic hose that captures the spent primers. I'm sure there are others out there. I let the occasional spent primers go wherever, not a big deal to me.

ok, i was having an issue with the Dillon today...if anyone else has a DIllon, perhaps this is specific to the 550c, then you know how annoying this is.

the spent primers "miss" the catch cup, for some ungodly known reason(s), and land on the floor, and if not the floor, then most certainly under the shell plate and between the sliding primer rod.

there is a website Etsy i think, that sells 3D printed "collars" that you "might" have to fit to the catch cup.

i have some VERY thin metal at the house, and i made up sort of a ramp, to shield those errant spent primers, and to hopefully stop the spent primers from going behind the chute, and onto the floor.

i don't know if this even works frankly, i was done reloading, and cleaning up, and found that thin metal.

now, if you can see that tiny pin hole in the metal..??

believe it or not, that is from the VERY TINY/THIN cotter pin, that holds the "jaws" of the chute..!!!

goes to show you the thinness of that metal

also, see that flat/black metal shim under the primer ram..??

is where "some" primers will end up..

View attachment 31774
View attachment 31775

View attachment 31776

i'm searching the web for solutions to this issue, if this "ramp" does not work.
Put a metal primer catcher on it and magnetize it.

ok, so i "re-worked" the primer dump chute, with a combo of what i read on some sites, and some "yankee ingenuity"

first thing i did was re-work the catch ramp

1666613839621.png

then, i removed the thin, weak cotter pin, and used a small paper clip...then, i slightly spread the back side of the primer metal, (the part that flips open)

as it was "rubbing" the main chute piece

1666613955830.png

then, on the backside of the part that "flips open", i put a piece of double sided tape, and half of a ball fishing weight, as a couple of guys said, they found that this helps keep the "flipper" closed while raising up.

1666614054772.png

i ran 20 shell casings thru this re-worked chute, and all spent primers fell into the primer cup.

ok, so i got that new credit card the other day, but sleep schedules have been off, so to order what i want will actually be for another day.

i have "planned" on getting the Lee Pro 4000 from one of the online places i do business with.

my first choice of ammo to reload will be .45 ACP, as this is my favorite to shoot.

i "may" buy other dies and plates for (maybe) 38 special, 357, 9mm, and maybe 44 special (even though i haven't any 44 caliber gun, and may never own a 44 caliber gun. my "thoughts" are geared up, for when i go to sell the equipment, i can offer more to the buyer and not limit myself to only the .45 ACP, if you get what i mean?

ok, so i got a hold of a possible purchase of used tumbler and digital scale (Frankford Arsenal) from a RSO.

then i still need a bullet puller, case gauges (maybe one block, rather than separate ones) and a few other odds and ends, like a digital caliper for OAL measurements.

i already have the latest Lyman reloading book. i know that the gun powder websites have specs, as well as another book (or 2) will be in my future.

now, regarding just the gun powder, i'd like "smoke free"? and if so, what do YOU reloaders use for good, dependable, gunpowder for a new guy like me, that right now, just wants, near factory specs. at my age, i am not into competitions, or hot loads, PLUS it is NOT smart to go off the specs for anything BUT factory specs.

as far as primers, i know i'll need (if i can find them) large pistol and small pistol primers. name brand not withstanding, price may dictate what i can buy.

as far as bullets, i have heard of Berry's, and a few others that i have in my search favorite, but what is the general consensus of what YOU buy?

right now, we all know cost is a factor, i clean my guns regularly, so leading may not be an issue, if i do not go FMJ bullets.

also, do ANY of you write down your "recipes" for your reloads, as well as day, date, performance, maybe lot number of the powder, etc, etc?

i will have other questions in the near future, thanks in advance to all that read and help, advise, recommend..!!
Sounds like you are asking the right questions. But, have you considered Dillon's presses. My experience with Dillons has been to load upwards of 100K rounds the majority of them .45ACP. The best thing I like about dillon's, aside from they always work, but if they don't, or if something breaks or I lose something, their service is something to compare all other companies against, regardless of what product you're talking about. Never in 30 plus years I've had these presses (two Square Deals) have I not gotten answers, or replacement parts in a day or two and they are always free. FREE! and FAST! Even when the screw up was my fault. FREE AND FAST. Get on their mailing list and get their Blue Press catalog. Free

Sounds like you are asking the right questions. But, have you considered Dillon's presses. My experience with Dillons has been to load upwards of 100K rounds the majority of them .45ACP. The best thing I like about dillon's, aside from they always work, but if they don't, or if something breaks or I lose something, their service is something to compare all other companies against, regardless of what product you're talking about. Never in 30 plus years I've had these presses (two Square Deals) have I not gotten answers, or replacement parts in a day or two and they are always free. FREE! and FAST! Even when the screw up was my fault. FREE AND FAST. Get on their mailing list and get their Blue Press catalog. Free
I have a dillon also (550) I bought almost 40 years ago. A few years back I decided to buy another 550. 1 is setup for small primers and the other for large. This way I don't need to change the bar/slide.

several pages back, i spoke about buying the RSO's complete reloading room, including a brand new-never used Dillon 550c..

ok, an update..

that "modded' primer chute i posted a few hours ago...works.!!

i just finished reloading 200 rounds, and only 1 stinking primer, did not fall into the cup, but onto the top of frame instead....

i'd say that the "mods" have been a success..!!

ok, so i got that new credit card the other day, but sleep schedules have been off, so to order what i want will actually be for another day.

i have "planned" on getting the Lee Pro 4000 from one of the online places i do business with.

my first choice of ammo to reload will be .45 ACP, as this is my favorite to shoot.

i "may" buy other dies and plates for (maybe) 38 special, 357, 9mm, and maybe 44 special (even though i haven't any 44 caliber gun, and may never own a 44 caliber gun. my "thoughts" are geared up, for when i go to sell the equipment, i can offer more to the buyer and not limit myself to only the .45 ACP, if you get what i mean?

ok, so i got a hold of a possible purchase of used tumbler and digital scale (Frankford Arsenal) from a RSO.

then i still need a bullet puller, case gauges (maybe one block, rather than separate ones) and a few other odds and ends, like a digital caliper for OAL measurements.

i already have the latest Lyman reloading book. i know that the gun powder websites have specs, as well as another book (or 2) will be in my future.

now, regarding just the gun powder, i'd like "smoke free"? and if so, what do YOU reloaders use for good, dependable, gunpowder for a new guy like me, that right now, just wants, near factory specs. at my age, i am not into competitions, or hot loads, PLUS it is NOT smart to go off the specs for anything BUT factory specs.

as far as primers, i know i'll need (if i can find them) large pistol and small pistol primers. name brand not withstanding, price may dictate what i can buy.

as far as bullets, i have heard of Berry's, and a few others that i have in my search favorite, but what is the general consensus of what YOU buy?

right now, we all know cost is a factor, i clean my guns regularly, so leading may not be an issue, if i do not go FMJ bullets.

also, do ANY of you write down your "recipes" for your reloads, as well as day, date, performance, maybe lot number of the powder, etc, etc?

i will have other questions in the near future, thanks in advance to all that read and help, advise, recommend..!!
Please find a better press to use. In over 50 years of reloading the only Lee products I use are a Lee factory crimp die (9mm) and an undersized 9mm sizing die.

You want reloading manuals from the bullet companies since they develop loads for their bullets primarily. I have tons of reloading manuals.

For pistol a progressive press is better if you shoot a lot. Alternative is a rurret press.

Please find a better press to use. In over 50 years of reloading the only Lee products I use are a Lee factory crimp die (9mm) and an undersized 9mm sizing die.

You want reloading manuals from the bullet companies since they develop loads for their bullets primarily. I have tons of reloading manuals.

For pistol a progressive press is better if you shoot a lot. Alternative is a rurret press.
well thanks, but at this point and time, the Lee has been working out as well as my Dillon.

i am not a speed demon, so if it takes me an hour to make 100 rounds, it's no big deal to me. in fact, i run both the cleaning and polishing vibrating machines for 1 hour, and when i finish 100 rounds, both machines are done. many times, i complete the 100 rounds just under the brass preppings.

i use my Lee Progressive as a turrent, until i can get enough time in using it, then i will go full progressive on it.

i do not shoot rifle, just handguns.

i have a speer, hornady, lee and lyman manuals.

right now, i am as satisfied with my starting charge, as per the books, and frankly i plan on staying on the starting charge for quite some time, and using full on lead bullets.

anyone buy new brass from Starline Brass, out of MO...????

Gavin, from "Ultimate Reloader", buys his from them....

they got a (to me) good deal on new 45 ACP brass, 500 cases for $116.00

i am nearly out of brass casings.

thanks in advance

Back