testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

I'm going to start this fall/winter. i purchased a lead pot and two molds used and reclaimed several buckets of lead from a local cowboy (all lead) range. I'll see about powder coating the bullets instead of using conventional lube. Ventilation is the key to safe casting besides not eating or smoking before hand washing. If all goes well, I'll buy a 160 or 180 gr. mold.
Thanks for your reply. You're so right about ventilation and washing hands before eating, etc. I have COPD, couldn't take any risks casting, inhaling fumes. Buying commercial cast bullets are pretty cheap and the initial setup cost for casting can get expensive. I started casting around 20-25 years ago before commercial cast bullets were widely available. As I'm sure you know reloading can also get expensive very quick as well. I enjoyed reloading, took it very serious. I firmly believe a good reloader can produce ammo that often is more accurate than factory fodder. Plus I just liked the idea I was shooting ammo produced by me. Casting my own bullets just added more satisfaction. Good luck! ! won't classify myself as an expert but please feel free to contact me if you think I might be able to help.

hey, you guys knew this trick.....right..??

i needed to pull some bullets, on those 9mm's.

i have the Hornady bullet puller.

well the collet broke, i don't really know why, i hit the puller on a block of wood. but the inner ridge that holds the casing just broke.

well anyways, i went to Hornadys website, and they had a "trick way" of pulling bullets when this happens.

if you have a handheld decapper (and i do) take the 9mm shell holder, and that'll fit into the puller.

and yes it does work.

i had to stop for the day, but in the morning, i will resume to pull the few i have to do.

Slick tip! Good to know. jj
now look at that.....i really thought that you guys knew this.....

yeah, i was gonna see if i could just get a replacement collet (i will try later today) maybe they will send me 1 for free..??

if not, no big deal, but i don't want to buy a whole new puller tool, just for 1 collect.

i have had no issues with the 45 caliber collet, so why the 9mm broke, i don't know.

well some great news, Hornady sent me an email asking for name/address, and they will ship out another collet free..!!

gotta love how companies take care of the customers.

wow, in the first email, they told me i was going to get a replacement for the broken collet.

i just got another email, and apparently, they are sending me all 3..!

Your order number is your return authorization number. Please provide this number with any contact with Hornady regarding the warranty service.

The following items have been ordered:
ItemDescriptionQuantityPriceExtended
399972COLLET LG IMPACT BULLET PULLER1$.00 EA$.00
399971COLLET MED IMPACT BULLET PULLE1$.00 EA$.00
399970COLLET SM IMPACT BULLET PULLER1$.00 EA$.00
Total$.00

sheesh.......

what a deal.

now look at that.....i really thought that you guys knew this.....

yeah, i was gonna see if i could just get a replacement collet (i will try later today) maybe they will send me 1 for free..??

if not, no big deal, but i don't want to buy a whole new puller tool, just for 1 collect.

i have had no issues with the 45 caliber collet, so why the 9mm broke, i don't know.
Yep, we knew that one; I decided to go the route of the RCBS bullet puller using the press to pull bullets. It's worth the investment to me plus here is a link on where it turned out to be dangerous to use the shell holder.

You may have to look at the archived version of the article.

yeah, but that RCBS only does rifle ammo.

i had checked that one before, as it does no show 9mm or 38 special, 45 ACP collets
Incorrect; I have the .45 ACP collet and the 35 caliber collet which pulls 9mm/.357/.38...

NOTE: the 35 caliber collet works great for pulling SWC shaped bullets as well from .45 ACP cases

all i see is 357/38 collect.......so that can handle 9mm as well?

i just saw the .45 collect.

1 other thing, i am using LEAD bullets, i think that tool will destroy the bullets..???

Last edited:
all i see is 357/38 collect.......so that can handle 9mm as well?

i just saw the .45 collect.

1 other thing, i am using LEAD bullets, i think that tool will destroy the bullets..???
Yes; it will pull 9mm, I recently pulled 400+ 9mm because I didn't like the powder that I had initially loaded in them.

RE: Lead bullets, I've pulled those as well and the collet will leave a line around where it wraps around the bullet... besides I'd hope you'd wouldn't be 'over crimping' them.

Well, I was apparently the first to admit to learning a new tip using a shell holder in place of the collet for my kinetic bullet puller. But then I'd never had the need to learn that since I'd never lost or broken one of my collets for my first green RCBS puller (bought somewhere around the early 1980's), or my much later blue Frankfort Armory version (bought about 2018).

But then just a few msg's later I learn from toxophilus in msg #590 just how dangerous that can be. And after reading the post he provided the link to, it becomes even more clear to use reloading equipment as it was intended and not to be substituting. I have to say I agree totally with the writer as to what happened to him and what he finally figured out had caused it.

Probably a ba-zillion bullets could be pulled using a shell holder in a kinetic puller with nary an issue. But I'm pretty sure it won't be me that hits it that ba-zillion and one time. Y'all be careful out there! jj

Last edited:
Well, I was apparently the first to admit to learning a new tip using a shell holder in place of the collet for my kinetic bullet puller. But then I'd never had the need to learn that since I'd never lost or broken one of my collets for my first green RCBS puller (bought somewhere around the early 1980's), or my much later blue Frankfort Armory version (bought about 2018).

But then just a few msg's later I learn from toxophilus in msg #590 just how dangerous that can be. And after reading the post he provided the link to, it becomes even more clear to use reloading equipment as it was intended and not to be substituting. I have to say I agree totally with the writer as to what happened to him and what he finally figured out had caused it.

Probably a ba-zillion bullets could be pulled using a shell holder in a kinetic puller with nary an issue. But I'm pretty sure it won't be me that hits it that ba-zillion and one time. Y'all be careful out there! jj
the way i read that article, the writer was saying that he may not have seated the primer properly.

i check each and every round when they drop into the "catch bin", at the end of the reloading process.

in fact, i will "sometimes" have an improperly seated primer, but my press will not advance to the next stage, (the powder drop), cuz the primer just will not allow the advancement to the next stage. so i "back up" the round to the primer stage and re-do it.

hey, you guys knew this trick.....right..??

i needed to pull some bullets, on those 9mm's.

i have the Hornady bullet puller.

well the collet broke, i don't really know why, i hit the puller on a block of wood. but the inner ridge that holds the casing just broke.

well anyways, i went to Hornadys website, and they had a "trick way" of pulling bullets when this happens.

if you have a handheld decapper (and i do) take the 9mm shell holder, and that'll fit into the puller.

and yes it does work.

i had to stop for the day, but in the morning, i will resume to pull the few i have to do.

I use a Forster standard. bullet puller that works great for rifle and pistol. It's press mounted 7/8" X 14". They have 21 collets covering everything from 17 - 458. I've used RCBS & Hornady press mounted pullers, this Forster works way better.

I use a Forster standard. bullet puller that works great for rifle and pistol. It's press mounted 7/8" X 14". They have 21 collets covering everything from 17 - 458. I've used RCBS & Hornady press mounted pullers, this Forster works way better.
thanks, i gotta get the diameter of my bullets.

i was going to ask the difference from standard to universal.

The universal puller works with their co-ax press. Other than that it is the same puller as the standard.
ok, i need help...my 9mm and 38 special measure .355

my 45 ACP and 45 Colt LC measure .451

i don't see those specific sizes, what do i order???

Last edited:
Back