testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

BRRRrrrrrrrrr..............

i woke up to 24 degrees this morning.

went to the cellar (basement) to do an inventory of my 45 ACP ammo..

as far as reloads i have 1700 rounds, and i like to keep at least 2,000 in stock.

but my basement is very cold, the only heat is when we turn on the heating boilers, that doesn't last long, once the heat is off.

no way to insulate, and the only other heater i have is an electric space heater, but it literally has to be on top of me to feel the heat...and having gunpowder next to em.....well...........

so later this week, i'll now have to reload even more than the original 300 rounds, cuz i am going to both the range and club, with what else...??

my 1911's or one other 45 gun.

i cannot think of any other "safe heat" for that area my reloading stuff is at.

and no, it cannot be moved.....

unless i move into one of the boiler rooms, with an open gas flame..............

1701008900043.png

Get some of these. They work very well. They have thermostats. When my furnace went out a couple years ago 3 of these things kept my house warm.

THANKS..!!

that might be a better thing than the "open" heating coils in the portable one that i have now..

i can use my "open coil" heater in the gun cleaning area, but it has to be like no more than 3 feet from me to feel that heat.

that thing looks like it's safer for sure

THANKS..!!

that might be a better thing than the "open" heating coils in the portable one that i have now..

i can use my "open coil" heater in the gun cleaning area, but it has to be like no more than 3 feet from me to feel that heat.

that thing looks like it's safer for sure
We bought them because using the thermostat you can just leave them on and keep your house whatever temp you want and we felt comfortable leaving them on when we weren't home. Even with cats. The ones we have are at least 6 or 7 years old and still work great.

We bought them because using the thermostat you can just leave them on and keep your house whatever temp you want and we felt comfortable leaving them on when we weren't home. Even with cats. The ones we have are at least 6 or 7 years old and still work great.
yeah, for me, it'll only get used once or twice a month when i reload.

and then, maybe all of about 4-5 hours at a time.

yeah, for me, it'll only get used once or twice a month when i reload.

and then, maybe all of about 4-5 hours at a time.

Just go down and turn it on a little while before you plan on hanging out down there. They aren't going to give you instant heat like a space heater with a blower would. They are like ambient heaters. They will maintain with minimal power consumption and no open flame.

I use a space heater which I set 3-4 feet away. Low and high and variable heat. If it's really cold in the garage, I do wait until later in the day.

I use a space heater which I set 3-4 feet away. Low and high and variable heat. If it's really cold in the garage, I do wait until later in the day.
yes, thanks...i will go to walmart in the morning, i gotta go anyway for a few things, and i will check on that heater bassbob showed me.. i'd rather pay cash for it, IF they have anything like it there.

it did "warm up a bit" today, but i got into doing other things.

this week it's going to be even more warmer.

yes, thanks...i will go to walmart in the morning, i gotta go anyway for a few things, and i will check on that heater bassbob showed me.. i'd rather pay cash for it, IF they have anything like it there.

it did "warm up a bit" today, but i got into doing other things.

this week it's going to be even more warmer.
We have these and they work really well for instant heat.

Get some of these. They work very well. They have thermostats. When my furnace went out a couple years ago 3 of these things kept my house warm.

i will second a hot water or hot oil electric plug in enclosed heater.
just warm air flowing via convection
i have one behind the couch on the floor its about 3 feet long like a baseboard heater...nice having a bit of warm surround you without the fan or open coils that glow

We have these and they work really well for instant heat.

i will second a hot water or hot oil electric plug in enclosed heater.
just warm air flowing via convection
i have one behind the couch on the floor its about 3 feet long like a baseboard heater...nice having a bit of warm surround you without the fan or open coils that glow
i saw the Lasko heater, but it was a tall tower

i went and got this at walmart, thier brand....

also got a heavy duty extension cord, cuz i have to plug this in at the basement circuit breaker panel.

1701100794777.png

plugged it in, and let it "run" for about 20 minutes, and it warmed up the area just fine.

but wouldn't you know it, this morning the basement is warmer, due to the overnight temps being in the 50's....due to rain........

it's about 3 feet from the reloading set up.

i like these heaters, its no hot air being blown around, no bright hot red glowing wire and no hot brick.
just warm air that is also not to dry
i have one in the bus as well.
plus low pwr settings will keep a room warm but not hot .
do you have a temp gun...??? i mean lets science the crap out of this :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

i like these heaters, its no hot air being blown around, no bright hot red glowing wire and no hot brick.
just warm air that is also not to dry
i have one in the bus as well.
plus low pwr settings will keep a room warm but not hot .
do you have a temp gun...??? i mean lets science the crap out of this :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
nope no temp gun.

but drafts..no way to plug them all up. some of the foundation is stone, some is brick.

some old wooden floors, a couple of concrete.

old everything.

way too costly to make repairs.

it's a great basement in the hot summer months, as it's nice and cool down there, and with a dehumidifier, takes care of what little humidity down there, that might be. nothing (that i can see) from my tool boxes, to cabinets, to shelves rust.

i totally forgot i had like 125 9mm brass casings, cleaned, polished and primed...

went to the basement to check on something, and in my search, there they were under the bench..like WTF, why did i prep them with the primers?

well, anyway, they are reloaded..

but i had this "feeling" that the crimping die, was going to need a cleaning, like the seating die needed a couple or so months back.

yup, took it apart and that same dang "wax" sealant ring(??) in the bullet groove, that cause the seating die to jam, was caked inside the crimp die.

each stroke of the press ram was just not right.

it was a quick job, and then i re-adjusted the crimp, i only flatten out the flare, so that they will plunk, i don't put a hard crimp.

but i still don't know why i primed those cases....i have never done that before.

i totally forgot i had like 125 9mm brass casings, cleaned, polished and primed...

went to the basement to check on something, and in my search, there they were under the bench..like WTF, why did i prep them with the primers?

well, anyway, they are reloaded..

but i had this "feeling" that the crimping die, was going to need a cleaning, like the seating die needed a couple or so months back.

yup, took it apart and that same dang "wax" sealant ring(??) in the bullet groove, that cause the seating die to jam, was caked inside the crimp die.

each stroke of the press ram was just not right.

it was a quick job, and then i re-adjusted the crimp, i only flatten out the flare, so that they will plunk, i don't put a hard crimp.

but i still don't know why i primed those cases....i have never done that before.
That's one reason why I'm going with coated bullets, to eliminate the goo buildup in the dies. Another reason is you get reduced smoke since there is no lube vaporizing as the bullet travels downrange.

That's one reason why I'm going with coated bullets, to eliminate the goo buildup in the dies. Another reason is you get reduced smoke since there is no lube vaporizing as the bullet travels downrange.
oh i agree...had it not been for the local gun shop and his lower prices on product, and no sales or shipping, i'd have gladly started buying the coated stuff.

i have to hold off on any more purchases of bullets, until i can get my current stock down to maybe about 200 pcs..

then i will check out all the many sites you and others have given links to.

and yes, several articles i read did say that lead bullets cause more smoke, but again, i went with cheaper, local prices, and when i did order online for more lead bullets, it was much after i read up anything about lead bullets and the smoke show. as i was suspecting the powder(s) to be the actual smoke cause.

thanks

I did buy 2k of conventional lubed bullets from a shooter because I saved about $60. Unless I fall into a deal like that, I'm buying coated bullets.

Back