testtest

Saint .308 Strikes again

Headed out with the Saint Victor .308 and Springfield 1911 for some hogs with the daughter.
Hope to have some late night success pics 🙂

1660349054536.gif

A question I thought I'd ask is, what bullet style do anyone that have shot hogs use? Over the last 45 years all I've used is m193 that has 55gr fmj.
I primarily use a 72 grain hollow point in my SIG 516, it plants them and they stay dead. I often dispatch them in the trap with a 10mm but recently have been using a Ruger .22 magnum bolt rifle to good effect. It is all about shot placement.

Saint Victor .308 strikes again.
After a few nights of looking, I found where they were hanging out . Bulldozing about 5 acres of back pasture . Hanging out with the cows
3 down for the night. Big boar on look out had no clue I was there . 40 yards out.
Rolling blacked out w NV monocular and thermal scope.
Hogs lost the technology war last night 😁
5A23A02E-6B24-4FD2-8BDC-2B64325B4F23.jpeg
1F8C72CC-FDDA-432C-8482-22B6FDD1CF81.jpeg
BF2D58B1-E4C9-41AC-BD52-4F40E5BE347B.jpeg
7198F59E-ADA3-4ABC-B2A9-2753AE18C188.jpeg

Is there a place that will take all your harvest & process them for a food bank?
Not really.
Some counties will pay by the lb for hogs but they have to be live. I’m not trailering live pissed off hogs for a few $$.
If you hunt at night, (best time) by the time morning comes and some place would be open for biz to take the meat, the hogs have been expired a long time and I wouldnt want the meat . Especially during summers in Tx.
We would need a trailer just of coolers to haul off the meat. Not including processing/cleaning 15+ a night …

Smaller sow hogs are good to eat. Large ones are nasty, even the sows. All sizes of Boar tasty nasty .

I haven't run across anyone here in Central Texas that eats them. They just remove them from their land before they destroy it. Sure wish I had someone landowner friends who want help removing them. I am expecting my tax stamp to be approved very soon as today was the 1 year mark. Would love to test it out in the field =)

Not really.
Some counties will pay by the lb for hogs but they have to be live. I’m not trailering live pissed off hogs for a few $$.
If you hunt at night, (best time) by the time morning comes and some place would be open for biz to take the meat, the hogs have been expired a long time and I wouldnt want the meat . Especially during summers in Tx.
We would need a trailer just of coolers to haul off the meat. Not including processing/cleaning 15+ a night …

Smaller sow hogs are good to eat. Large ones are nasty, even the sows. All sizes of Boar tasty nasty .
I dump the boars in a ditch. In summer they all gk in the ditch.
Buzzards gotta eat. in cooler weather If we have a bunch in a trap I pull together my posse with coolers and lots of ice and rock salt for a slurry and we set up to butcher. 6 of us can butcher 8 sows in about 2 hours. But we do a poachers cut and take backstrap, hams, and shoulders without opening the cavity and dump the rest. I have numbers for guys who will come pick up shot hogs. We have killed about 250 of them on my place in the past 10 years.

Attachments

• 23B516EC-A99E-4492-AF0A-FE5D2DEDF461.jpeg
    23B516EC-A99E-4492-AF0A-FE5D2DEDF461.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 108
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Hogs 8-31-18.jpg
    Hogs 8-31-18.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 104
I dump the boars in a ditch. In summer they all gk in the ditch.
Buzzards gotta eat. in cooler weather If we have a bunch in a trap I pull together my posse with coolers and lots of ice and rock salt for a slurry and we set up to butcher. 6 of us can butcher 8 sows in about 2 hours. But we do a poachers cut and take backstrap, hams, and shoulders without opening the cavity and dump the rest. I have numbers for guys who will come pick up shot hogs. We have killed about 250 of them on my place in the past 10 years.
We’ll cut out the back straps real quick on some smaller ones for some meat in the field, but not every hog. Just a couple for some good meals.
A30B07D7-1DFC-492A-A35D-AE740BB54A78.jpeg
34B1BA00-187E-4ACE-A362-DD2D6E201038.jpeg

Back