testtest

Saint V/5.56 Pistol

I noticed bench resting the pistol from a shooting table that extended 6 inches beyond my muzzle break and only few inches below the muzzle, affected grouping drastically. Lots of powder residue left on the table. Has anyone seen similar results?

I fired the first 20 rounds with the factory mag resting from the hood of my truck. The red dot sight was off, but each 3 rounds grouped, repeatedly. I returned the following day and shot from a plywood table on sawhorses with a 7 round mag from my armalite, the mag is flush with the mag receiver. Same distance same target. No rounds on paper, no grouping at all.

I fired the first 20 rounds with the factory mag resting from the hood of my truck. The red dot sight was off, but each 3 rounds grouped, repeatedly. I returned the following day and shot from a plywood table on sawhorses with a 7 round mag from my armalite, the mag is flush with the mag receiver. Same distance same target. No rounds on paper, no grouping at all.
I wouldn't rest the mag on anything. Should be free of any contact. Find a more solid point of contact.

Another point of contact for an ar pistol would be a single-point sling.

My .02

Last edited:
Huge RUSH fan since the 80's. Vapor Trails Tour 02 Atlanta. :cool:
Yep, me from the mid-70's. Attended various concerts across the country though the 80's then two more in MN the last two tours for the band.

Last edited:
I was not resting the mag on the table, I rolled up some shop towels as a rest. But the muzzle was very restricted and I feel it affected accuracy. When by back stops hurting from clearing brush I will do more experimenting.

I was not resting the mag on the table, I rolled up some shop towels as a rest. But the muzzle was very restricted and I feel it affected accuracy. When by back stops hurting from clearing brush I will do more experimenting.
Better to SBR the ar pistol especially once ATF announces their decision in a few months.

Give it a fixed sized stock at rifle legal length, as opposed to the adjustable pistol brace? I have a CC permit, should I still be concerned? I would also like to add a forward vertical grip. :unsure:

Give it a fixed sized stock at rifle legal length, as opposed to the adjustable pistol brace? I have a CC permit, should I still be concerned? I would also like to add a forward vertical grip. :unsure:
No, a collapsible, IMO

ATF will likely declare AR pistols & like other stuff with braces as NFA weapons so that will require Class 3 stamp. If you want to keep the short barrel then either a brace or a collapsible stock would give you much better support than an AR pistol configuration.

A CCW won't exclude you from needing a "stamp" from the ATF with anything shorter than an 16.1" OAL barrel.

Get a ALG (angled forward grip (Magpul) or just a handstop. Vertical grips are very 80's & 90's, and really don't do much. I think ATF frowns upon vert grips on AR pistols right now, so with their inevitable decision in "June" if you want the short-barrel best do the paperwork & $200.

I briefly tried AR pistols & braces and didn't find them operationally useful, so the shortest I go is a pinned 14.5" barrel so no stamp needed.

My .02

I need to attach a sling but not sure which lanyard base will fit?
There are various receiver end plate replacements (Magpul) that have QR sockets to plug a QR sling loop into, or attachments (Daniel Defense) that wrap around the castle nut at the receiver end plate/buffer tube interface that will provide multiple plug in sockets.

Both work on stock or pistol bare buffer tube set-ups.

Thank you for talking with me. I see another issue in .223 Rem being fired at such short range from such a short barrel. I have a decent knowledge of ballistics. I sight >223 @ 200 yds. most manufacturers calibrate so. Logistically the bullet is still "rising" at such short distance?

(y)

The main issue with a .223/5.56 out of a sub 14.5" barrel is the dramatic loss of performance, but with a large increase in muzzle blast/flash.

Where I live the performance loss is a big issue & the more muzzle blast/flash is unpleasant & can disclose your position.

If you sight in distance is 200 then yes the trajectory is a shallow upward curve between point A & B. The lower the performace the higher the curve.

"The lower the performace the higher the curve? I need a really light bullet? This AR pistol is my knee deep in the bush O weapon. 35yd range is where I need to focus.

"The lower the performace the higher the curve? I need a really light bullet? This AR pistol is my knee deep in the bush O weapon. 35yd range is where I need to focus.
Faster bullet = flatter curve, slower bullet = more curve over a long distance to zero to a desired range.

At 35 yds your "bush" AR pistol will be fine. If that's your desired range I'd zero your AR pistol to 50 yds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back