testtest

SimonRL Goes to the Range: The Prodigy Edition

Looking at the failures to feed and the round's position, I would be looking at the extractor.
Maybe a little too much extractor tension.

Also I think a full-size Colt 9mm will have about a 14lb recoil spring, 9 lb. seems too light.
I wondered about the extractor, but the cases were all falling nicely to my right as I would expect. None going off into space or dinging me in the forehead. I will check it out though. Bottom line is that outside of those small handful the Prodigy ran like a freight train and was a pleasure to shoot. It felt like it was MY gun. At no point did I feel like I had to get used to, or adjust, for anything. Super light shooter and despite what I’m seeing in other forums about a 5 or 6 lb trigger pull, mine registered pre-and-post range trip just under 3.5 lbs. very smooth.

Everything I read on FB I ignore - even the good stuff - because it seems to attract lunatics. That being said on many forums I am seeing similar issues, although not quite as severe as 90 out of 150 failures. Frankly, just about every time a brand new gun comes out the usual malcontents do their thing. Most of us make that decision to wait or take the plunge at their peril. With my Prodigy I had 4 Feed issues in the first 100 rounds and none in the next 50. I had already read about the failures so wasn’t startled when they happened. Plenty of 1911s have teething issues while they’re new and wear in. I expect it will be the same with the Prodigy. None of the video reviews I’ve seen from major gun reviewers had these issues. Perhaps because the gun they got had been run in.
Your observations are to the point. While I would hope for the gun to run flawlessly I wouldn't get excited with 4/150 failures but don't understand the 90/150. Appears you shot well for day one and I think I have at least 1 WTF every time I go to the range. Not a major social media guy myself (I am active on 5 specific forums)

Put some good oil on it and manually cycle the slide, get the slide and frame wore into each other. You will feel it slick up as the parts wear into each other. Thats the Cerakote that has no lubricity properties on both the slide and frame as the coating wears off it turns to grit And wears off. When coating guns I never ever ever coat metal to metal parts that your trigger can feel. You can feel the grittitness and after you dryfire and the coating wears off smooths back at as metal to metal is touching again.

Well, thanks go out to @Annihilator. I stuck a 12lb recoil spring in the Prodigy and made my way back to the range this afternoon. Went with the troublesome 17rd mag first. Racked the slide and the very first round hung up. I taped the back of the slide - which made no difference yesterday - and the round popped in and the slide went into battery. And that was the last of the issues. I put 50 rounds of Browning 124 gr (which is currently my preferred range ammo) and 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 gr through both mags and the gun ran like a champ. Accuracy was like yesterday and I ran the gun faster trying to get it to hiccup, but it refused. Earlier in the day I tested the extractor with an empty shell and it hung on nice and snug. At the range the casings sailed nicely over my right shoulder. So a pretty good result today. I think the Prodigy shows a lot of promise and if I can get a plate for a red dot I will truly be in business. Here’s an additional positive note - when I finished up the RO asked what I was shooting that was so accurate and asked to have a look at the gun.

Well, thanks go out to @Annihilator. I stuck a 12lb recoil spring in the Prodigy and made my way back to the range this afternoon. Went with the troublesome 17rd mag first. Racked the slide and the very first round hung up. I taped the back of the slide - which made no difference yesterday - and the round popped in and the slide went into battery. And that was the last of the issues. I put 50 rounds of Browning 124 gr (which is currently my preferred range ammo) and 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 gr through both mags and the gun ran like a champ. Accuracy was like yesterday and I ran the gun faster trying to get it to hiccup, but it refused. Earlier in the day I tested the extractor with an empty shell and it hung on nice and snug. At the range the casings sailed nicely over my right shoulder. So a pretty good result today. I think the Prodigy shows a lot of promise and if I can get a plate for a red dot I will truly be in business. Here’s an additional positive note - when I finished up the RO asked what I was shooting that was so accurate and asked to have a look at the gun.
Great! Glad its working fine now, go out and shoot the crap out of it, with all you guys getting the Prodigy, now I want to go out and get a new gun.....lol....seriously glad she is fine now.

Great! Glad its working fine now, go out and shoot the crap out of it, with all you guys getting the Prodigy, now I want to go out and get a new gun.....lol....seriously glad she is fine now.
2FD145C4-2103-4FA2-9AD3-E0CD956EC2C6.jpeg

You need to complete the set. You know you want to!

I had a brief trip to the range this afternoon and only got to run a 50 round box of 115gr Herters ammo. The pistol worked flawlessly and I was nailing target clays and a bowling pin with ease at 25yds placed on the berm. This pistol made hitting the small clays at 25yd way too easy. Covering the target with the front fiber sight was a guaranteed hit for me.

I didn't have much time at the range tonight with sunset approaching so I'll be back at the range later this week for group accuracy testing.

20220906_181554.jpg

Last edited:
Put some good oil on it and manually cycle the slide, get the slide and frame wore into each other. You will feel it slick up as the parts wear into each other. Thats the Cerakote that has no lubricity properties on both the slide and frame as the coating wears off it turns to grit And wears off. When coating guns I never ever ever coat metal to metal parts that your trigger can feel. You can feel the grittitness and after you dryfire and the coating wears off smooths back at as metal to metal is touching again.
Thanks brother, I noticed that the Cerakote is already wearing off the rails. I will cycle the snot out of it.

So I had a similar issue with a polymer 80 I built so I did some ad hoc testing where I took the barrel and would drop a round into the chamber, give it a tap with my finger then see if the round would seat and if I could pull it out. Some rounds would get stuck hard enough that I would have to tap them out with a rod. I ended up honing the chamber and then had no issues.

I'm seeing similar things with my prodigy barrel. Dropping rounds in the the chamber I'm noticing some are not seating at the same depth as others and those are getting stuck in the barrel. I found some boxes that look good so I'm going to run those through the gun to see how it goes. Probably will try honing the chamber this week to see if I can get less sensitive to what ammo is used.

Thoughts? I may or may not be on crack :)

Long long thread on the prodigy on the 1911 addicts forum. Spring changes being the largest change on there for the 5” less complaints about the 4.25.

Few folks ditching the mags for staccato mags and others modifying the mag a bit for a better angle that works.

Seems to have some growing pains but not insurmountable

Back