testtest

Smoking some Hog

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
Any Green Egg users here? Some AlabamaQ for your consideration. Last night, Negan helped put the Butt on and dispose of the fat trimmings this afternoon he helped dispose of the bone. I love using the butcher paper, it captures all the drippings to pour in the beans. Top it off with some Milos Sweet Tea And you have a great nice quite Sunday brunch.

AE165BF9-DBCC-4AD8-946F-982EC7CBFB5A.jpeg

51769805-0C42-4540-8062-F6473AF85728.jpeg

F9745A96-BCA9-4CDD-BF52-494E25F47390.jpeg

CE34CE8E-2CD6-47F2-9565-9A418BC386A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks awful good, but I'll have to pass on the 'Chow Chow'. I like a little sweet sauce now and then on my pork, but that's about all I need. And sure as hell don't want it piled up with coleslaw. Man, whoever thought up that one? Oh yeh, and 'course you gotta have that sweet tea!

You mentioned butcher paper ..... do you use it with your pork? I sometimes use it with a big chunk of beef, but never have tried it with pork. I always put a catch pan underneath the pork though to catch those drippings. I put some in the beans and the rest I pour over the pulled pork. Then on occasion if I make my own BBQ sauce, I'll use a tad of it in that.

Don't have an Egg cooker but have used one a few times, they're pretty nice. Mines just a 250 gal oil drum converted to an offset, reverse flow. Been using it about 6-8 years.

Don't cook much anymore. Use to do quite a lot, especially family get-togethers like holidays, B-days, Father's & Mother's days, etc. And btw, what happened to my invite? And again, that looks mighty tasty!

xdman- Chargriller Pro with side firebox user here. Make my own marinade and sauce. Tend to like the Carolina style for marinade and mopping but like KC style for sauce. My wife likes Sweet Baby Ray sauce so I don't apply the sauces while cooking, just mopping with Carolina style. Everyone has their own likes but I've never tasted any one that wasn't good. Yours looks terrific!

Looks awful good, but I'll have to pass on the 'Chow Chow'. I like a little sweet sauce now and then on my pork, but that's about all I need. And sure as hell don't want it piled up with coleslaw. Man, whoever thought up that one? Oh yeh, and 'course you gotta have that sweet tea!

You mentioned butcher paper ..... do you use it with your pork? I sometimes use it with a big chunk of beef, but never have tried it with pork. I always put a catch pan underneath the pork though to catch those drippings. I put some in the beans and the rest I pour over the pulled pork. Then on occasion if I make my own BBQ sauce, I'll use a tad of it in that.

Don't have an Egg cooker but have used one a few times, they're pretty nice. Mines just a 250 gal oil drum converted to an offset, reverse flow. Been using it about 6-8 years.

Don't cook much anymore. Use to do quite a lot, especially family get-togethers like holidays, B-days, Father's & Mother's days, etc. And btw, what happened to my invite? And again, that looks mighty tasty!
I have started using the paper with both, especially if I am cooking a bunch say for lodge. That way each piece is wrapped in basically in its own container and can still breath.

" ..........................." Everyone has their own likes but I've never tasted any one that wasn't good. (my emphasis) "............"
That's the key right there ............... It's all good, just some a little better than others!

I have started using the paper with both, especially if I am cooking a bunch say for lodge. That way each piece is wrapped in basically in its own container and can still breath.
Do you cook commercially? I mean do you do BBQ's for crowds, parties, etc? And do you cook other than BBQ? And if so ..... why? LOL! that last one was a trick question. ;) ;) ;)

Gotcha. I don't do much of either anymore. I used to do a lot of BBQ's for big get to-gethers, especially family get-togethers, and an occasional big fish fry. Even done a few 'Low Country boils' for certain occasions. None of it commercially though. I really enjoy cooking when I don't absolutely have to, and especially for crowds, but I literally hate it when I have to.

I remember a time when the wife had to go in to the hospital for some surgery. She made ahead quite a bit of cooked food and put it in the fridge for me to eat while she was in the hospital and recovering. A good thing she did too, I ate every bit of what she had fixed up until the sink was stacked to overflowing with dirty dishes, and not knowing for sure when she'd be home to wash them, I started on TV dinners cause I can't cook indoors.

But then the trash can got full of the little aluminum trays, so again not knowing how long it would be till she could empty it, I started eating out. Burgers, pizzas, oriental buffets, tacos, etc. Anywhere just so I didn't have to cook. Man, I really got tired of the fast food world.

Wouldn't you know it, as soon as she came home from the hospital, she wanted to go out to eat ..... said she didn't feel like cooking ...... can you believe that? She hadn't cooked a damn thing in over two weeks. Man, I was really tired of eating out and told her I needed some home cooking. Of course being the husband I am and knowing of all those dishes she'd have to wash before she would be able to cook, I told her I'd take her to a nice foreign restaurant and suggested "Taco Bell".

Well, she made a couple of really off color remarks about what I could do about that, made a couple completely anatomically impossible suggestions as to what I could do with that stove and a few select kitchen utensils, and that's when I had to explain to her how I hated to cook indoors. Since then I've just left it at that and I only cook for bigger outdoors shin-digs.

How does all that stuff work out for you? I'll bet your wife even cleans up the 'Egg' when you do a big BBQ cookout for her, don't she? ;) ;) :):rolleyes:o_O

Dang, talkin' about all this cookin' and lookin' at that butt you did is making me crave for some good BBQ. Think I need to pull the ol' smoker out of storage and get some done. I'll let y'all know.

It's a real pain since we sold the house and moved here to the complex.'Prison' as I like to call it. I can't have anything with an open fire on the premises. You should have seen the commotion I started not long after we moved in and I didn't know about that little rule.

Man, I went and got my smoker fairly early one morning, unhooked it around in the back of the complex parking lot and fired her off. I had to make a speed run for a few additional racks of ribs cause I figured that once they, 'Inmates' as I like to consider them, started smellin' that real good smokin' wood, I'd have a crowd in no time wanting to see what was going on. So, I really fired her up good to get her up to temperature while I was gone and when I got back the fire department had shut her down tight, and they too wanted to know what was going on.

Well, I got a real lesson on the rules right after that. There was a site mgr, 'Warden' as I like to call him, who jumped on me unmercifully from the time I opened the door to get out of my truck, and didn't let up till I had the smoker all hooked up to my truck and was closing the door getting back in it. So anyway .................

It's just too much hassle to BBQ for just me and the wife anyway, so now when I want to do some BBQ, I have to go to my storage unit to get my smoker, then take it over to my sister's house to cook. Well as you know good smoking BBQ takes several hours, so I hesitate to do that. She's always made it available to me when I want to cook as long as I do her at least a full rack of ribs, or a pound or two of pork or beef. We'll see!

All that tasty looking food, and it has to be zero calorie tea? Gotta watchout for those dangerous calories when you're having a "light" meal. :)
A woman walked into McDonald's and said, "I'd like 2 Big Macs with extra sauce and extra cheese, a McRib, and a large order of fries to eat here." The cashier asked her if she'd like a large shake to drink. "No!", she said emphatically, "I'm on a diet!"

A woman walked into McDonald's and said, "I'd like 2 Big Macs with extra sauce and extra cheese, a McRib, and a large order of fries to eat here." The cashier asked her if she'd like a large shake to drink. "No!", she said emphatically, "I'm on a diet!"
This plays out time after time anytime you eat at a buffet style restaurant. You can watch people go through the serving line with two plates and fill them to overflowing, then when they get to the drink counter they'll ask for a diet coke or un-sweet tea. After which they'll usually go for a couple bowls of desert! :):D

Well, I didn't think I had any pictures, but did find a few to share... hope y'all like 'em. These are from several years ago.
BBQ pics 012.jpg
BBQ pics 054.jpg
BBQ pics 054.jpg
BBQ pics 051.jpg
BBQ pics 070.jpg
BBQ pics 070.jpg
BBQ pics 084.jpg
BBQ pics 028.jpg
BBQ pics 001.jpg
BBQ pics 003.jpg
BBQ pics 014.jpg
BBQ pics 074.jpg

It seems I doubled up one at least one, but don't know how to delete it. Sorry. Oh, and this is an older smoker. The one I'm using now is almost twice the size of this one. Current one is about 34" by 62". I built them both along with many, many grills and roasters.

Last edited:
The smoker above was built back probably in about 2000+- a year or two. It's made from an 80 gallon air compressor tank. This was one of my best smokers and worked very well even though it was only a one pass cooker. My current smoker is made from a 250 gallon oil tank. The tank was purchased new and never had oil in it. It's also a two pass smoker (reverse flow) and really easy to maintain temps. Over many years I built many smokers from 55 gallon drums .... made some horizontal, some vertical.

I make my own dry spice blend of rub (my recipe), and I make a killer 'maple syrup' based pork injection (again my recipe) for butts/shoulders/shoats/pigs, and also use it as a glaze on ribs. When I do beef it's usually just salt/pepper (occasionally a little cumin) and lots of time. I actually like pork the best, but I'll eat any BBQ and more often than not, enjoy it!

Last edited:
Back