testtest

Smoking some Hog

Here’s what the lodge uses when we smoke Thanksgiving hams. Smoking 300 hams thats fun.
E6EEF3FE-437E-4AE9-9A6C-E38C12ABE70B.jpeg

B172CDED-EF52-4C6C-8838-A8FE3BCBE739.jpeg

OK, two things ..... I've noticed not many seemed to enjoy my attempt at a little humor in my msg #10 where I joked about the wife not wanting to cook after being in the hospital. Guys & gals, I was only kiddin'. I would never expect her to cook right after getting home from the hospital ....... but she could have stopped on the way home and picked up some 'take out' for cryin' out loud! ;):rolleyes::unsure:

Almost forgot the second thing .... KF1977, in your msg #13, what was in the aluminum foil, taters or corn? Both are great off the cooker but I just wasn't quite sure which that was.

OK, two things ..... I've noticed not many seemed to enjoy my attempt at a little humor in my msg #10 where I joked about the wife not wanting to cook after being in the hospital. Guys & gals, I was only kiddin'. I would never expect her to cook right after getting home from the hospital ....... but she could have stopped on the way home and picked up some 'take out' for cryin' out loud! ;):rolleyes::unsure:

Almost forgot the second thing .... KF1977, in your msg #13, what was in the aluminum foil, taters or corn? Both are great off the cooker but I just wasn't quite sure which that was.
Corn

xdman, my friend, that's a lot a ham!!!!! And that smoker looks like a "Southern Pride". Ya' doin' good there son, doin' good!
Dayyyyymmmmnnn I am impressed you got it spot on. The cooker actually belongs to the Shrine, every year my lodge sells hams for Thanksgiving as a fundraiser. The Shrine installed the smoker on a two axel trailer and it runs off propane tanks So it is portable. As expensive as one of these smokers is, I wish I could say people have not abused it. But like Masons and Shriners do, you get nice new shiny things and then don’t take care of it. A couple years ago when I started on the line it was my idea to start the fundraiser. My lodge is Birmala 836 now a PM. And I also belong to the Zamora Shrine, both in Birmingham Al. Sucks we wont be doing it this year, but what can you do....covid.

Are y'all buyin' your hams pre-cooked and then you guys just add the smoke, or are you smoke cooking them from raw? Either way, that's a lot of ham. I'm assuming you don't slice them prior to sale and surely you must take pre orders.

Heck of a way to do a fund raiser never even thought about cooking hams. Do you, or have you ever had any issues with the health department? Wish I was a little closer to y'all. I believe I could eat a whole ham lookin' that good. Of course that's if y'all would cut them up into about 30 servings ...... I just don't believe I could eat 40. ;) :):D

I told a young girl at Pizza Hut that one night during a phone order when she asked if I wanted my pizza cut into 8 or 12 slices ..... I told her to make it 8 since I didn't think I could eat 12. It took her about 3-4 minutes to regain her composure and finish my order.

But back to the hams ..... do y'all do any shipping?

Are y'all buyin' your hams pre-cooked and then you guys just add the smoke, or are you smoke cooking them from raw? Either way, that's a lot of ham. I'm assuming you don't slice them prior to sale and surely you must take pre orders.

Heck of a way to do a fund raiser never even thought about cooking hams. Do you, or have you ever had any issues with the health department? Wish I was a little closer to y'all. I believe I could eat a whole ham lookin' that good. Of course that's if y'all would cut them up into about 30 servings ...... I just don't believe I could eat 40. ;) :):D

I told a young girl at Pizza Hut that one night during a phone order when she asked if I wanted my pizza cut into 8 or 12 slices ..... I told her to make it 8 since I didn't think I could eat 12. It took her about 3-4 minutes to regain her composure and finish my order.

But back to the hams ..... do y'all do any shipping?

So pre-cooked, last couple years with had a deal with Aldi for smithfield hams. We were getting them for 50 cents a pound with an average weight of 12-15 pounds. We would sell them at 35.00 so it was a healthy fundraiser. Yes we would pre sell and always have people come up after the fact to try to buy. Pre cooked was the least amount of work for some of the older members so it was win win. Technically the shrine has the commercial food license, but most everyone in the lodge are also Shrine members. Now as far as the health dept....there are a couple groups that also do this like the fire dept when they do butts for memorial day. We are also out in the country if you get my drift. The first year we did both Turkey’s and hams. They were great but the turkeys were such a pain from defrosting safely to prep to actual cooking time. The hams were much better.

I chuckled ..

So pre-cooked, last couple years with had a deal with Aldi for smithfield hams. We were getting them for 50 cents a pound with an average weight of 12-15 pounds. We would sell them at 35.00 so it was a healthy fundraiser. Yes we would pre sell and always have people come up after the fact to try to buy. Pre cooked was the least amount of work for some of the older members so it was win win. Technically the shrine has the commercial food license, but most everyone in the lodge are also Shrine members. Now as far as the health dept....there are a couple groups that also do this like the fire dept when they do butts for memorial day. We are also out in the country if you get my drift. The first year we did both Turkey’s and hams. They were great but the turkeys were such a pain from defrosting safely to prep to actual cooking time. The hams were much better.
Yeh, I'd say that's a pretty healthy ROI, not counting the labor of course, and I suspected doing that volume it was likely that they were precooked. But the labor is all part of it too when it's fund raising and not a business. Never thought about the commercial food license, but understand about the country too :). And I know what you mean about the thawing of turkeys, that's even a pain doing one for ones self, much less enough for a commercial venture. And fact is there's a much greater chance of a mishap with fowl than pork, even being as careful as you possibly can.

Back when I was doing a considerable amount of BBQ's, I was often asked to do chix. I had a fair reputation for doing some pretty tasty ones, but I'd often try to beg off just for the safety reason and all the extra work associated with poultry. I'd rather do two smokers load of beef or pork than to do two chickens outside. Man, all you need is for a case of Salmonella or some other bad stuff to come from one of your cooks and you're done for. You never want to make someone sick anyway. And with poultry, and especially cooking outside, no matter how careful you try to be it can happen.

And you didn't answer directly about 'shipping', but I assume NO since you said y'all work from pre-orders. Oh well, maybe the wife won't mind cooking!

Back