testtest

Smoking some Hog

Friend .. 1100 acres total.
Man, sounds like a blast. I would assume he's paying you to cull pigs. I'd do it just for the fun and meat today if ammo wasn't so danged expensive.

Many, many years ago when about 12-13 yrs old, I hired out to a man with a dairy farm to shoot pigeons out of the rafters in his barns. My very first real paid work! As I recall he was paying me $0.01 each to keep their numbers down, and he insisted I use only .22 shorts so as to not bust up his barn wood too bad. Well, I had a ball for a few weeks, even invited a friend or two out to shoot with me, but at some point realized it was costing me about 1.5 cents per round to do the shooting. LOL!

Those might not be the exact cost amounts due to it being a long time ago, but the situation is right. As much fun as I was having, I had to give it up in a short while since daddy said he couldn't afford to have me "workin". LOL!

Yeh, I'd say that's a pretty healthy ROI, not counting the labor of course, and I suspected doing that volume it was likely that they were precooked. But the labor is all part of it too when it's fund raising and not a business. Never thought about the commercial food license, but understand about the country too :). And I know what you mean about the thawing of turkeys, that's even a pain doing one for ones self, much less enough for a commercial venture. And fact is there's a much greater chance of a mishap with fowl than pork, even being as careful as you possibly can.

Back when I was doing a considerable amount of BBQ's, I was often asked to do chix. I had a fair reputation for doing some pretty tasty ones, but I'd often try to beg off just for the safety reason and all the extra work associated with poultry. I'd rather do two smokers load of beef or pork than to do two chickens outside. Man, all you need is for a case of Salmonella or some other bad stuff to come from one of your cooks and you're done for. You never want to make someone sick anyway. And with poultry, and especially cooking outside, no matter how careful you try to be it can happen.

And you didn't answer directly about 'shipping', but I assume NO since you said y'all work from pre-orders. Oh well, maybe the wife won't mind cooking!
Maybe ship a sandwich. Post offi is too flaky right now to ship anything important

Back