testtest

So you thought you could register your braced pistol for free ?

Just an update if it helps anyone -

Submitted 2/2 -
Anstadt Arms UDP 9mm - still waiting
Springfield Saint Edge 556 - approved 3/27 (53 days)
Springfield Saint Edge - 300aac built upper - approved 3/31 (57 days)

Submitted 2/3
Aero Built EPC 9mm - approved 3/31 (56 days)
Aero Built 5.56 - still waiting
Aero Built 300aac - approved 4/5 (61 days)

From my experience and watching NFA forums -
These are not being approved in submission order or really any kind of order that can be identified.
I'm seeing folks post approvals in 14 days to over 80.

Last edited:
Just an update if it helps anyone -

Submitted 2/2 -
Anstadt Arms UDP 9mm - still waiting
Springfield Saint Edge 556 - approved 3/27 (53 days)
Springfield Saint Edge - 300aac built upper - approved 3/31 (57 days)

Submitted 2/3
Aero Built EPC 9mm - approved 3/31 (56 days)
Aero Built 5.56 - still waiting
Aero Built 300aac - approved 4/5 (61 days)

From my experience and watching NFA forums -
These are not being approved in submission order or really any kind of order that can be identified.
I'm seeing folks post approvals in 14 days to over 80.
I’m 2 submissions on 1-14 and still have not gotten any approvals back yet. 😩

My first 4 form 1’s a year ago were less than 30 days .

I’m 2 submissions on 1-14 and still have not gotten any approvals back yet. 😩

My first 4 form 1’s a year ago were less than 30 days .
Yeah - I'm reading about folks with your date(s) on the NFA Reddit - That's where I'm seeing the 80+ days for approval. I'm thinking my last 2 may stretch out to 80+. Good luck on getting approvals soon - because it seems like its only about luck :( .

I just submitted one on 4/5. I'm not even thinking about it. Lol. I waited just to see if anything would become of the lawsuits. And nothing so far. I have the submitted email printed out and still on my phone, so I'm not worried about it yet. And I figure if anything comes of the multiple lawsuits going on, it'll just revert back to a pistol again.

First ruling is going the way I thought. 2A community 0 for 6 in this 1st ruling by a judge who has ruled favorably in previous gun cases. (Same judge who ruled positively for the 2A community in the frames/receivers ruling) What I heard through the legalese - "The ATF's new interpretation of a braced firearm as an SBR based on NFA definitions is good enough."

And now.....
For something completely different than most of the 2A social media community.

Personally, I think he has great points and is factual on a lot of things with well-thought-out opinions on others.
(He actually parallels a lot of my thinking on this.)

Part 1 - Brace registration

Part 2 - Take on "I will not comply", ATF, Gun Community, etc,
Part 3 - History and Who to blame -

Last edited:
Update:
Filed for an SBR permit on Jan 14 for my AP5 Pistol with the amnesty.
Received approval this morning.
I have also heard from folks that foreign firearms imported take a bit longer. Dont know if thats true, but seemed to be the case here.
🕺🕺🕺😁😁😁

And just to wind people up a bit more both KF and myself Form 1’d our AP5s with no need for 922R compliance as per latest ATF directive. Many currently dealing with doing Form 1 on imported firearms are insisting on replacing parts on their guns to meet 922R because they believe to not do it is a trap regardless of what ATF says.

And just to wind people up a bit more both KF and myself Form 1’d our AP5s with no need for 922R compliance as per latest ATF directive. Many currently dealing with doing Form 1 on imported firearms are insisting on replacing parts on their guns to meet 922R because they believe to not do it is a trap regardless of what ATF says.
Just to clarify - Are you saying no need for 922R compliance on Brace Rule Form 1's - Or both Brace rule and Paid Form 1's? (I did 2 paid Form 1's for an AP5 and an AP5-P - both approved in April. With the changes I made, I think I'm 922R compliant anyway.)

I don’t think they make a distinction. ATF has said that adding a brace to an imported pistol does not modify the pistol it just changes its classification into an SBR.

This from their FAQ -

I possess a pistol, which was imported and then subsequently equipped with a stabilizing brace. Does 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) apply to my firearm?​

No. Section 922(r), in relevant part, makes it unlawful to assemble from imported parts a semiautomatic rifle that is otherwise not importable. The implementing regulations of the GCA at 27 CFR 478.39 provides that a person may not assemble a semiautomatic rifle using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in the relevant paragraphs of the regulation. As discussed in section IV.B.8.e of the final rule, the criminal violation under section 922(r) is for the “assembly” of the semiautomatic rifle; therefore, no modification of such firearm would cure the 922(r) violation because the “assembly” has already occurred. Accordingly, a person with an imported pistol that was subsequently equipped with a “stabilizing brace” will have the same options as anyone else under the final rule. Should that person choose to register the firearm, no further modification of the firearm with domestic parts is required.
Last Reviewed March 23, 2023

I don’t think they make a distinction. ATF has said that adding a brace to an imported pistol does not modify the pistol it just changes its classification into an SBR.

This from their FAQ -

I possess a pistol, which was imported and then subsequently equipped with a stabilizing brace. Does 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) apply to my firearm?​

No. Section 922(r), in relevant part, makes it unlawful to assemble from imported parts a semiautomatic rifle that is otherwise not importable. The implementing regulations of the GCA at 27 CFR 478.39 provides that a person may not assemble a semiautomatic rifle using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in the relevant paragraphs of the regulation. As discussed in section IV.B.8.e of the final rule, the criminal violation under section 922(r) is for the “assembly” of the semiautomatic rifle; therefore, no modification of such firearm would cure the 922(r) violation because the “assembly” has already occurred. Accordingly, a person with an imported pistol that was subsequently equipped with a “stabilizing brace” will have the same options as anyone else under the final rule. Should that person choose to register the firearm, no further modification of the firearm with domestic parts is required.
Last Reviewed March 23, 2023

Thanks you.

Back