testtest

Springfield Hellcat Review: Best CCW 9mm Ever

Guy said that he was getting a Manual Brightness and have posted an extensive, excellent review of his day at the range. I am tending toward an Auto Brighness but they are impossible to find right now...every supplier,including Guy's (Rocky Brass) are out of stock. Apparently you can get one directly from Swampfox for full price at $299.00.

Looked at Rocky Brass, Gunbroker, Grabagun, Gander websites today. Only one even listing the Sentinel was Rocky Brass and they showed out of stock. Appears many folks have been waiting for a solid alternative to Romeo Zero and Shield. The excellent Armory Life review really got interest peaked.

Can you mount an optic on a non-osp hellcat?
There are some dovetail mounting plates but have no idea if they’d fit the Hellcat. And by the time you mount the plate and optic (and loose the Co-witness, even if Swampfox’s is only partial on the OSP) it makes the whole package bulky.

I am waiting for Rocky Brass to get resupplied with the Swampfox Sentinal-A, the red dot optical before I take it out to the range and zero it in. By the way, speaking of sights, if/when you purchase your Hellcat make sure that the front sight is the tritium and luminescent night sight NOT the red fiber optic front sight. I screwed up when I purchased mine, expecting the sights on all Hellcats to be the tritium and luminescent night sight but I was wrong. Talked to Springfield Armory today and found out they will not replace the sight or even sell me the sight so my gun store's gunsmith could do it. Hopefully, the Swampfox Sentinel will overcome the crappy red fiber sight. Granted, it was my fault, but customer service was not very helpful!

I get where you’re coming from on the parts but Springfield has never really sold parts. There could be quite a few factors in this decision and I have a few ideas but I’m not privy to that info and won’t speculate. There are several threads here about the Hellcat sights you can look at using the search engine. Just make sure to read all the responses as several have thought certain sights were available, especially the rear, but came to find out that wasn’t case.

I get where you’re coming from on the parts but Springfield has never really sold parts. There could be quite a few factors in this decision and I have a few ideas but I’m not privy to that info and won’t speculate. There are several threads here about the Hellcat sights you can look at using the search engine. Just make sure to read all the responses as several have thought certain sights were available, especially the rear, but came to find out that wasn’t case.
Thanks...I appreciate the advice - need all the help I can get. 😁

Thanks...I appreciate the advice - need all the help I can get. 😁
So i talked to a couple of people and the “definitive” answer to the sights is the front is a standard XD so any sight made for XD will fit. Currently no one makes sights for the rear 😕 but several are working on it.

So i talked to a couple of people and the “definitive” answer to the sights is the front is a standard XD so any sight made for XD will fit. Currently no one makes sights for the rear 😕 but several are working on it.
Thanks again...it's the front sight that sucks...the rear sight on mine is the correct one. I'll look around for an XD replacement and talk with my gun store's gunsmith.

Not very difficult. I did have some difficulty getting the screw out that was holding the optics plate to the Hellcat (Where the red dot mounts), so I took it over to my friendly Master Gunsmith and he had it done, and the red dot mounted, in about three minutes.

I think he means the non-OSP version. You'd most likely need to have the slide milled to fit the optic you want. I'm not aware of any adapter plates that would let you use the rear dovetail.

Sorry...I didn't read it correctly. EvilElmo, you are correct!
It might be cheaper to sell the standard Helcat and get an OSP.

Speaking of the OSP and milling...has anyone out here actually ground down the index posts on the OSP model to allow for a non-RMSc sight like the Holosun? I have a 507K coming this weekend and want to now how much real effort and skill it took. I'd be using a Cordless Dremel with an Aluminum Oxide grinding stone (recommended by Dremel for steel). Really want to hear from people who've actually done it...how much efforts it took, warnings, tips.

Alternatively, I found a local machine shop willing to do it for $30 if this proves too daunting a task.

Last edited:
Speaking of the OSP and milling...has anyone out here actually ground down the index posts on the OSP model to allow for a non-RMSc sight like the Holosun? I have a 507K coming this weekend and want to now how much real effort and skill it took. I'd be using a Cordless Dremel with an Aluminum Oxide grinding stone (recommended by Dremel for steel). Really want to hear from people who've actually done it...how much efforts it took, warnings, tips.

Alternatively, I found a local machine shop willing to do it for $30 if this proves too daunting a task.
Did you end up doing this or letting a shop do it?

Back