testtest

Springfield Prodigy Questions

Back in the day expecting a "Less than custom" 1911 to run flawlessly out of the box was unheard of. They all needed extractor work and feed ramp work. And they all needed to be broken in. These are not all hand fitted WC 3k pistols. I'm not saying there aren't problems with them, I am saying some of the problems are fairly typical of 1911 style handguns. That said, I have more than one $300-$400 1911 that ran great out of the box. I think if I paid $1600 for a handgun I would want it to run great out of the box, but I also wouldn't worry too much about it until I got it up to around 500-750 rounds. Range guns don't technically have to be flawless, carry guns do though. That's why I run a new carry gun until I get 500 flawless rounds through it before I carry it.

At any rate I hope all you guys get some satisfaction and I'm sure you will. SA is pretty good about that sort of thing. Though it is frustrating until that happens.
Thanks BassBob ! I've heard this from other guys too and I agree with your philosophy on carry vs. range gun or having a range gun become a carry gun. The Prodigy at this point, luckily would not be my carry gun or even my home defense gun nor had I planned it to be. I guess I got lucky with my Mil Spec and Emissary running flawlessly right out of the box.

Thanks BassBob ! I've heard this from other guys too and I agree with your philosophy on carry vs. range gun or having a range gun become a carry gun. The Prodigy at this point, luckily would not be my carry gun or even my home defense gun nor had I planned it to be. I guess I got lucky with my Mil Spec and Emissary running flawlessly right out of the box.
I think in the end you will get lucky with this one too brother. I predict a month or two from now you will be fawning over it in these pages. Problems aside, it seems to be a very nice gun. It's just not a $3500 Wilson Combat.

Hey folks !! So I’ve been reading and doing a lot of research with this new 1911 DS and I’m pretty disappointed. I would like to know what solutions are available to make these mistakes correct and me not having to dish out more money sending it back. “Springfield” aside from us sending our pistols back what can we do to make this $1600 plus purchase reliable. Otherwise I feel like many of us just got ripped off from such a company that has a good reputation.
Buy a Staccato for $2500+, or a Wilson SFX/STX for $3k.

That’s the easiest fix.

Boy, I could have went to the dark side with your first few sentences……but I have refrained myself…….😬😬
1C8025D5-F36F-43A1-BEDB-B7EBCB68E75B.gif

Not easy I live in CA so double the price on those options for consignment prices !! So I’m just hoping that a spring replacement will do it or mag
I'm just curious to know how someone from California could buy a brand new Prodigy pistol that (I'm assuming) cannot be on the California approved roster since it only comes with a mag capacity higher than 10 rounds and the SA Prodigy doesn't come in a lower under 10 round capacity model.

Pleas keep in mind I live on the other side of the country so I'm not 100% familiar with California's firearm laws but I've heard a lot over the years.

I'm just curious to know how someone from California could buy a brand new Prodigy pistol that (I'm assuming) cannot be on the California approved roster since it only comes with a mag capacity higher than 10 rounds and the SA Prodigy doesn't come in a lower under 10 round capacity model.

Pleas keep in mind I live on the other side of the country so I'm not 100% familiar with California's firearm laws but I've heard a lot over the years.
They are on consignment, private sale that’s the only way they can be purchased. Also staccato sales 10 rd mags so that’s another option for mags.

I wish everyone would take the time to get to know this gun and not take on the internet panic and start changing all manor of things to try and get them to run. Its like
Buying a new sportscar and then deciding you’re going to tune it, change the suspension and the exhaust all at once and then something goes wrong and you don’t know what caused the problem. Changing the spring from 9lbs to 12lbs isn’t a Herculean event, you just have to keep your thumb along the body of the spring and keep the hump in the spring flat so that you can make a connection between both halves of the recoil rod. You don’t have to screw it all the way together, just a couple turns will do. As I’ve already said in previous posts we have several forum members who are not having problems at all. All experienced shooters, I might add, and perhaps that has something to do with the success they’re having with their Prodigies. Stay calm, work with your gun, run it in. It is going to work.

They are on consignment, private sale that’s the only way they can be purchased. Also staccato sales 10 rd mags so that’s another option for mags.
I'm guessing there's a premium to pay over the MSRP on a new model hot selling firearm in a restricted state that is on consignment?

In Massachusetts and Glock pistols which is not on the approved roster (Glock is not allowed in Ma) is selling for a premium, even a used beat up model sells for more than a new model in a free state.

I'm in NH so there's no restrictions here as to what you can freely own as per the constitution.

I'm guessing there's a premium to pay over the MSRP on a new model hot selling firearm in a restricted state that is on consignment?

In Massachusetts and Glock pistols which is not on the approved roster (Glock is not allowed in Ma) is selling for a premium, even a used beat up model sells for more than a new model in a free state.

I'm in NH so there's no restrictions here as to what you can freely own as per the constitution.
You are correct bud it does cost extra for us. So having to hear or deal with these issues is not something I would want to deal with.

I wish everyone would take the time to get to know this gun and not take on the internet panic and start changing all manor of things to try and get them to run. Its like
Buying a new sportscar and then deciding you’re going to tune it, change the suspension and the exhaust all at once and then something goes wrong and you don’t know what caused the problem. Changing the spring from 9lbs to 12lbs isn’t a Herculean event, you just have to keep your thumb along the body of the spring and keep the hump in the spring flat so that you can make a connection between both halves of the recoil rod. You don’t have to screw it all the way together, just a couple turns will do. As I’ve already said in previous posts we have several forum members who are not having problems at all. All experienced shooters, I might add, and perhaps that has something to do with the success they’re having with their Prodigies. Stay calm, work with your gun, run it in. It is going to work.
I mean ya I’m being hopeful that with that 12lb recoil switch it will fix the issue. Ultimately this prodigy is a game changer for sure. I’m a proud owner of a trp full rail operator and man am I in love with that piece so when this came out I jumped on it quick. Just wish it would’ve not been so negatively impacted or has had many issues from good amount of people, but I’m hoping this gets fixed.

What makes you say that?? I haven't heard anything bad about them
I’ve shot Staccatos & Wilsons.

An imported copy isn’t going to have the quality…the ball-bearing feel of a properly fitted slide, the perfect lock-up, the glass-rod trigger break, the “just right” feel of the safety engaging/disengaging…they won’t be there.

That’s not not saying the copies are bad, but…it’s expecting a VW Beetle to drive like a Bugatti Veyron…they’re in completely different classes.

Back